Author Topic: Feels sluggish.  (Read 5348 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Feels sluggish.
« on: December 05, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »
My 2006 DSi 1.2 is feeling very sluggish at the moment. It seems to be down on power, and my mpg is rubbish. The "Fibometer" is saying 48 mpg after using half the tank (I reset my trip meter every time I top-up), and in the winter I would expect to see middle of the 50s.
Once again, I checked the tyre pressures in case one of the new tyres was losing pressure, but they were all still at 35 psig. Last night I drove the last five miles home without touching the brakes, and all the wheels were ice cold in the centre. There are no misfires, MIL light out, pulls like a train from 1,000 in 5th, gets up to temperature as usual, and exhaust and cat are all fairly new, it is just sluggish and poor mpg.
I am doing more short town trips and less long cruising journeys, and the weather is crap. Whether it is just that plus the new all-weather tyres, I don't know. I'll monitor it closely.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Feels sluggish.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 08:32:15 PM »
I am doing more short town trips and less long cruising journeys, and the weather is crap. Whether it is just that plus the new all-weather tyres, I don't know. I'll monitor it closely.

Might be a bit of all three, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong.

Ramon1234

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 dsi 2003 manual
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 09:29:00 PM »
Perhaps a check at the condition of the air filter just to rule something else out.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 09:34:24 PM »
I would be so pleased if I achieved 48mpg with short runs on our 1.3 CVT, we get about 38mpg rising to low 50's on a long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:10:12 PM »
I would be so pleased if I achieved 48mpg with short runs on our 1.3 CVT, we get about 38mpg rising to low 50's on a long run.

Only Jocko would be that disappointed about 48mpg  ;D

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 11:00:35 PM »
I know you are not a big fan, but fill her up with a full tank of Shell V Power, Jocko.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 11:19:19 PM »
The air filter was replaced 4 months and 4,000 miles ago. All eight plugs were replaced shortly after. I don't think the V-Power would make any difference as the tankful before last was accompanied by a bottle of Redex Emission Reducer, designed to be put in the tank prior to an MOT. It has been exceptionally wet, and the tyres are designed to shift huge amounts of water so it may be as simple as that. I need a good long run on dry roads to see what mpg that returns.
I use Western Electric Rules for my sPC on fuel consumption, and it has now fallen outside control values.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 11:38:30 PM »
You've done 4000 miles in 4 months, in Lockdown?

I might just have done 2,000 all year!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 04:10:30 AM »
After your next reasonable run touch each wheel to see if any are noticeably hotter. Brake bind can cause this.
Let's be careful out there !

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 08:11:08 AM »
That's a big drop. I suppose it could be weather, my mpg is down this week, and tyres. The only other thing I can think of is the EGR valve  ::)
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
After your next reasonable run touch each wheel to see if any are noticeably hotter. Brake bind can cause this.
As I said in the original post, that was one of the first things I checked. The EGR valve could be an issue, but I have none of the other symptoms other than lack of performance and increased fuel consumption, and the car performs if I come down the gears.
My wife has just reminded me that I have 4 x 50 Litre bags of compost in the boot, so that is 50 Kg but that is only a large child or small adult.
I'll see if things improve with more miles on the tyres and dry roads (or at least not waterlogged roads).

You've done 4000 miles in 4 months, in Lockdown?

I might just have done 2,000 all year!

For the entire period of lockdown, I have been running back and forward to tend to my mother-in-law then to visit her once she went into the care home. We also have to regularly check the empty house and let people see we are about the place. I also have to run my wife to her work every morning then return home before repeating the process at the end of her shift. Add to that supermarket trips, and the mileage soon adds up. 10,000 to 12,000 miles a year is my average.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »

Jocko

At the risk of stating the obvious to one who has been around the block a few times, is it possible you are experiencing a touch of higher gearing. I have always noticed this when new tyres are fitted. Those extra mm's may not seem much but it can have a surprising effect especially when you consider the jump from the legal limit (in my case) to brand new :).  I was aware of this on my diesel and that is with the extra low down torque of an oil burner. Throw in the Jazz egg beater characteristics and it might explain the sluggishness.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 03:15:47 PM »
Now that may be the answer. I have the DSi which is anything but an eggbeater with its low down torque, but that may be the case. The all-weather tyres have a really deep tread, so perhaps it is more noticeable on these tyres than the summer tyres I normally use. I usually use very high gears, but as I said, if I snick it down into 2nd or even 3rd, it goes like stick.

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 04:40:33 PM »
More rolling resistance from the tyres, extra weight in the back and the cold temperatures of late. I reckon that could easily account for the difference. Your car is well looked after and you know what you're looking out for. I wouldn't be concerned at all. Your low MPG is my typical MPG.

I did my first ever long drive (200 odd miles) in my Jazz last night. Normally use another car for that sort of thing. The car showed 48mpg, which included some decent stretches of 75-80+mph motorway cruising. Apart from the notchy steering where it sort of 'turns off' the power steering leaving a notchy resistance when it 'turns back on' it was actually a comfortable drive. It's only the steering feel that I don't really like in these cars, and there's huge debate about whether it's a fault or characteristic or can be fixed or not? Anyway going off topic.. I think your car is doing great.   

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 04:51:27 PM »
I used to find the steering a bit notchy on a smooth motorway, especially if you are in the middle lane, but I think I just got used to it.

Tags: