Author Topic: What failing in my Jazz can cause tv interference?  (Read 1606 times)

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
What failing in my Jazz can cause tv interference?
« on: December 02, 2019, 08:50:36 PM »
My stay-at-home co-driver mentioned tonight that as I started up the car there was interference on the tv that faded as I drove away, the reverse happening as I returned home. Interference increasing as I pulled up outside and stopped when I switched off.

Plug leads? Plugs?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: What failing in my Jazz can cause tv interference?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »
Not likely to be coils as they are close coupled to plugs and only 12volts switched externally and fed to coils - but the proper plugs are supposed to have a 5000 ohm suppressor resistor incorporated into them ( that is the R in plug number ) if the wrong plugs fitted and don't have resistor this could be a problem... otherwise a failing coil may cause interference but you would probably notice the engine running rough or some other problem...

The 5000 ohm resistor used to be fitted in the plug cap or lead, and you used to be able to buy carbon cored plug leads to cut down interference, but resistor now mostly integral in the plug... it makes me laugh when people say copper plugs give better spark than iridium because iridium has higher resistance than copper,  and don't realise that the plug has a 5000 ohm resistor in it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:55:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
Oh dear - may be coil as there is some hesitancy during acceleration. How many ££££'s for that?

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
Ah. Not SO bad, if that's the problem then.

Thank you :-)

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »
Turns out one spark plug was VERY loose, almost unthreaded. The entire threaded area of the plug was black soot  and the coil pack was also loose too! I was shown the set of plugs, which I'd asked to be replaced as part of the service.

Pulls like a train now, with no hesitation. Hope fuel economy will improve too, although it was between 46-48, almost 49 on the computer.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 07:38:49 PM »
Turns out one spark plug was VERY loose, almost unthreaded. The entire threaded area of the plug was black soot  and the coil pack was also loose too! I was shown the set of plugs, which I'd asked to be replaced as part of the service.

Pulls like a train now, with no hesitation. Hope fuel economy will improve too, although it was between 46-48, almost 49 on the computer.

Thanks for feedback, nice to have a solution as it may help others..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Top Down

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: March 2012 1.4 iVTEC EX - Deep Sapphire Blue
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 06:17:15 AM »
I'd self-diagnosed and suggested a single plug issue when I took the car in for servicing at our local independent, mentioning that there seemed to be the occasional misfire and 'tugging' at around 20 and 30mph. I asked for the plugs to be replaced.

When I went back to collect the car the really pleased/excited mechanic intercepted me, to show me the old plugs as soon as I got through the door. Laid out on a sheet of white paper he asked if I could 'spot the difference'. The problem plug stood out like a sore thumb!

The car's done 28000 miles and they were the original plugs. Didn't need replacing until 60k but glad I asked him to take a look and replace them anyway. Will be taking it out for a good run today to see if BAU has been restored - oh, and to see if the TV signal has been restored too!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:19:47 AM by Top Down »

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 07:59:49 AM »
Performance restored, drives better and quieter than ever with no TV interference, although the Avg. MPG over the life of the car has been lost, as it was accidentally reset to zero before the mechanic was able to reset the 'Service indicator'.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 08:03:41 AM by TopDown »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »
Good to hear your back interference free.

Tags:

anything