Author Topic: Centre Exhaust Section Leaking.  (Read 2382 times)

alfy

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 sport cvt
Centre Exhaust Section Leaking.
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »
Hi all, my 2007 Jazz has started blowing at the exhaust hanger on the middle section piece, next to the drivers door.
Can the  centre section be replaced without damaging the cat, as the three bolts connecting to it are corroded. Thanks in advance.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Centre Exhaust Section Leaking.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »
It does depend on how corroded the cat bolts are, they can be replaced separately to the cat (they are studs which fit into the cat flange and nuts from the centre silencer side)

Cost of these parts are not that high from your Honda dealer.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 01:25:22 PM »
A good spray with penetrating oil a day or so before you, or whoever, tries to remove them. Don't take a hammer to them though. A Cat doesn't like being roughly treated.

guest1372

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:05:12 PM »
Tyres and exhaust place said "no, you'll need a new cat as well that will be £xxx ", general garage said "yes no problem we'll just cut the bolts but we can't do it this week" so I did it myself but it was an awkward job.   Cat flange was fairly poor condition so new bolts needed washers.

So it's really a question of who you ask and how far along the effort vs invoice spectrum you are.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

guest6436

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:43:54 PM »
I had this EXACT same problem with my Jazz a couple of weeks ago before the MOT,
Don't change the whole exhaust.. I wanted to change that part myself, but the bolts were so rusted that there would be no chance to get them off properly.

take a wirebrush clean it up to a metal, pinpoint the hole, and take the Holts Gun-gum paste and cover it all up generously. its about 2-3pounds depending on where you buy it online and it will fix your problem.
as a precaution do the same thing to both hangers, I knew only one was leaking for me, but I decided to clean other up as well and saw a small hole there as well- Just spread it all over generously after cleaning to metal and job done.

Tags: