Author Topic: 07 jazz dash lights question  (Read 2060 times)

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
07 jazz dash lights question
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:30:06 AM »
when i first got this jazz 1.4 all  lights were tickedyboo. er i think dash lights would light up etc when i turned on the ignition .. now for some reason they come on as soon as i put in the ignition key ? without turning it.. they fade out when i remove the key ..

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: 07 jazz dash lights question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »
It sounds like you have a problem with your ignition switch, perhaps some contacts have come loose as there should not be any ignition power by just putting the key in.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »
It sounds like you have a problem with your ignition switch, perhaps some contacts have come loose as there should not be any ignition power by just putting the key in.

theres no ignition lights coming on untill i turn the key on .. just the iluminations fade on when i insert the key in

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 10:49:20 AM »
Yes, faulty ignition switch. You can replace the electrical part without needing to replace the lock.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »
very strange .. so i take it nothing should iluminate until the actual ignition is turned on ..

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »
Your not really making it clear what is illuminating when you are inserting the key, there is a switch which detects the key going in/out of the barrel.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
just the dashboard iluminations.. no ignition warning lights untill the ignition is turned on'
theres no exterior lights on or switched on .
i just removed the lower steering column cowling .. looked at the ign switch plugs gave them a wiggle etc 3 of them .. main and 2 smaller green plugs .. but made no difference..
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 12:26:52 PM by fashionphotography »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »
there is a switch which detects the key going in/out of the barrel.
You are confused here. There is an antenna that detects the chip in the key but it doesn't know the key is in the barrel. Just that the correct key is close enough that the antenna signal is seen by the chip and the resultant chip signal is seen by the antenna.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 03:37:23 PM »
correct jocko.. theres 3 plugs on the switch the main one and a green plug right by the entrance ring . im guessing that will be the imobiliser ring sensor. then theres another green one behind it.. that could be something to to with the dash lighting ? although i had another look and pulled all the connections and used electrical cleaner on the plugs and switches.. but still the same .. maybe a relay fault ? thinking.. or was hoping this is how it should be lol as its kind of funky having the dash iluminate as soon as you put the key in.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 03:42:59 PM »
there is a switch which detects the key going in/out of the barrel.
You are confused here.

Oh no, I'm not confused, this is the wiring diagram for the key in switch, it detect a key in the barrel.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 03:53:24 PM »
steve-M does it show a switch which activates the dash lighting though ?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 03:59:45 PM »
Its been a while since I have driven a Mk1 Jazz, but the switch on the ignition barrel detects the key being inserted into the lock barrel. This is connected to the meter, whether it turns the meter illumination on or not I cant say, someone with a similar grade/model Jazz may be able to answer that.

From your description, I dont believe you have a problem and it is completely normal and perhaps you just did not notice it previously.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 04:03:29 PM »
maybe..... im sure the dash only lit up once the ignition was turned on ..also im sure the dash lighting was a lot brighter than it is now.. and thats on full reastat adjustment.. but im getting old lol..
think most of the little quirky problems are due to the car only doing eleven thousand miles in the last 4 years .. sometimes low mileage cars are not the best thing of this age.. ive done 1000 plus since i got it a month ago
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:10:38 PM by fashionphotography »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 07:04:16 PM »
Oh no, I'm not confused, this is the wiring diagram for the key in switch, it detect a key in the barrel.
Not 0n the Mk 1.

And when you put the key in the ignition nothing happens. When you turn the ignition on the instruments and fibometer come on. They don't even come on in ACC.

fashionphotography

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 07:10:53 PM »
from jocko
And when you put the key in the ignition nothing happens. When you turn the ignition on the instruments and fibometer come on. They don't even come on in ACC.
[/quote]

yep im sure thats how it used to be.. ho hum havent got a clue  whats happened then lol.. it still starts and runs fine with no lighting problems apart from dash lighting isnt as bright on full as it was .. plus this funky fault of the dash lighting up as soon as i start to put the key in the ign lol
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 07:12:51 PM by fashionphotography »

Tags: