Author Topic: My 2019 Jazz manual geabox is too notchy.  (Read 5303 times)

RID36

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
My 2019 Jazz manual geabox is too notchy.
« on: January 18, 2020, 04:14:42 AM »
I was expecting a smooth and crisp gear change since its brand new. But it's not. Is this normal? should get it checked at the dealers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 04:16:48 AM by RID36 »

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: My 2019 Jazz manual geabox is too notchy.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 09:54:35 AM »
Normally the Jazz manual gearbox is the lightest and sweetest you will find on any car,  you expect the change to be a bit stiff on new cars because like everything else it has to bed in - don't bother the dealer just yet wait a few thousand Km's
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:58:36 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »
What does it feel like with the engine switched off?

RID36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »

Sometimes it slots in great at times it doesn't.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:37:43 AM by RID36 »

RID36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »
Normally the Jazz manual gearbox is the lightest and sweetest you will find on any car,  you expect the change to be a bit stiff on new cars because like everything else it has to bed in - don't bother the dealer just yet wait a few thousand Km's

Maybe, I already emailed the dealers about it. But giving it a few k's. The left front door doesn't shut well. You have to slam it to shut and latch on.

First time I purchased a brand new car to have these kinds of bugs. ::)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:50:47 AM by RID36 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 10:59:59 AM »

Sounds more like 'newness', as culzean says. Give it a few km and see if it settles in.

The door might just need adjusting slightly, the dealer should attend to it. New door rubbers need a short while to bed in properly, but you shouldn't be having to slam it.

RID36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 11:23:00 AM »

Sounds more like 'newness', as culzean says. Give it a few km and see if it settles in.

The door might just need adjusting slightly, the dealer should attend to it. New door rubbers need a short while to bed in properly, but you shouldn't be having to slam it.

Sorry, I mean give it an extra nudge to latch. Not slam lol. :D The other 3 doors are perfect couldn't fault them. Close without much effort.Otherwise the car looks mint. ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:25:19 AM by RID36 »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 11:32:36 AM »
Sorry, I mean give it an extra nudge to latch. Not slam lol. :D The other 3 doors are perfect couldn't fault them. Close without much effort.Otherwise the car looks mint. ;D

Still a bit suspicious, if it's noticeably different from the other three. Something may have settled and need adjustment.

I would let the dealer have a look, it's in their interests to keep you happy... they want you back again in a year or two to buy another!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:29:53 PM »
On the notchy gearbox, I've just looked at the "Which" (British Consumer Association) review of the Jazz when it first came out. Unfortunately the page wouldn't load but I remember them saying that they felt the manual gearchange on the MK3 Jazz left a lot to be desired compared to earlier models and was notchy - they might even have used that word.

It's the only review I've read that made this claim but clearly it might have been an issue on a brand new car. Hopefully it will settle down.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 04:12:09 PM »
On the notchy gearbox, I've just looked at the "Which" (British Consumer Association) review of the Jazz when it first came out. Unfortunately the page wouldn't load but I remember them saying that they felt the manual gearchange on the MK3 Jazz left a lot to be desired compared to earlier models and was notchy - they might even have used that word.

It's the only review I've read that made this claim but clearly it might have been an issue on a brand new car. Hopefully it will settle down.

Just looked back at that review. It’s obviously been updated since it originally appeared because it includes the (now defunct) 1.5 engine that was introduced later, so the words that appear now may not be the original:

“Gear changes in the manual version of the Jazz aren't perfect: the clutch biting point is quite sharp, so you may well find the car jerking a bit as you slide it into gear.”

Not sure I’d agree with that, or maybe I’ve just got used to it.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 04:48:12 PM »
How did it drive before you purchased the car?
As previous posts if you have doubts then put your issues in writing not an email to the dealership asking them to reslove matters within 1 week. You have the right to reject the vehicle for faults/defects.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
You have the right to reject the vehicle for faults/defects.
Australia may have different consumer protection.

RID36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 07:23:47 PM »
Here's what i found.

https://www.accc.gov.au/update/just-bought-a-new-car

Minor failures

This type of failure happens when:

your new car can be fixed, or the problem can be resolved, within a reasonable time (e.g. your car’s engine develops a slight rattling noise that doesn’t interfere with its ordinary operation, and can be successfully repaired within a reasonable time).

Type of remedy

The supplier that sold you the car (e.g. the car dealer) can choose to repair or replace your new car, or to offer you a refund.

Any repairs must be done within a reasonable time and without charge.

However, you may choose the remedy if the repair is not done in a reasonable time.

In this case, you may request a free replacement or a refund. You may also seek a repair elsewhere and be able to recover the costs, as well as any ‘reasonably foreseeable’ loss or damage you suffered as a result of the failure, from the supplier that sold you the car (e.g. the car dealer), or in some cases from the manufacturer.

RID36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »
I am covered under 5 year warranty...

Let's see if they honor my rights.. :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:43:02 PM by RID36 »

RID36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 07:51:29 PM »
How did it drive before you purchased the car?
As previous posts if you have doubts then put your issues in writing not an email to the dealership asking them to reslove matters within 1 week. You have the right to reject the vehicle for faults/defects.

Umm. To cut the story short. I was after a manual. Well, when i was looking around I checked Mazda, Suzuki and Honda. But they weren't offering manuals for some reason. They all were pushing me to buy the automatics or CVT. On the lines that CVT's have come a long way. You should test drive one and you will be surprised. So i did. And hated it.

Anyway, they didn't have a manual in stock. To get one they had to transport one from another state. Which happened to be Brisbane, Australia. Up North of New South Wales.Don't shoot me. But I didn't actually test drive the manual Ok stupid of me. I assumed it would be fine. Since I have bought cars brand new before and all were mint.

This car looks beautiful as you can see but just have some minor blemishes. Anyway, I hope the resolve it. You can she is beautiful .

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 08:15:21 PM by RID36 »

Tags: