Author Topic: Mk2 Washer pump same as Mk1 ?  (Read 1577 times)

FordPrefect8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2012 EX 1.4 Manual Red
Mk2 Washer pump same as Mk1 ?
« on: May 28, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
So I'm pretty sure the front washer pump has died on me, can anyone confirm if the Mk1 would be suitable replacement?
Searched the web back and forth and vast majority of results are for Mk1 with almost nothing for Mk2 except maybe some exotic, overpriced hits.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 03:10:23 PM by FordPrefect8 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Mk2 Washer pump same as Mk1 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »
Check the relevant part numbers here: https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:31:56 PM »
The parts are listed as different but I'm still not all that sure if they're not just different by name.
Anyway, once I've properly had a look at it, turned out to be very unusual buildup in supply hose - fixed now.
I like happy endings :) Cheers guys for your help!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
Indeed. Honda quite often supply the same part under several part numbers. If a cheaper part for another Honda looks identical, and it happens to be much cheaper, it might be worth a shot.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 06:39:07 PM »
What kind of unexpected build up was it ?

All kinds of nasty slime can build up in windscreen washer bottles, and sediment can settle in bottom of bottle, if it smells funny that is a bad sign.

My wife hardly uses the windscreen washers on her car ( I am the only one who tops bottle up and can hardly get any in ) and used to complain about smell of washer fluid,  I tried to explain she needed to use washers more and smell was stagnant fluid, made no difference so every so often I have to empty washer bottle and refill - a job I would not have to do if only she would listen...

another thing to make note of during lockdown and unused cars is washer bottle fluid going bad
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 09:20:13 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
What kind of unexpected build up was it ?

Unidentified organic kind, If I had to bet it was very a very small bug or number of them that crawled up the nozzle, mine are roughly 1mm in diameter.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 09:39:13 PM »
As I remarked before,  stagnant washer bottle fluid is a breeding ground for all sorts - it is normally at exactly the right temperature ( except in winter ) for breeding.  Keeping a decent concentration of washer fluid helps,  plain water or very dilute screen wash can encourage all sorts to grow ( and is useless for keeping screen clean ).  The premixed fluid is probably right concentration to use.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Paul H

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz 1.4 EX
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 10:58:20 AM »
Ford Prefect 8 - coincidentally I have a 2009 1.4 EX in red that has got a washer pump which just decided to die on me. There is no noise from it when the switch is operated so I checked fuse 21 in hope that it was blown but sadly not - so it looks like I am going to have to remove the wheel and inner wheel arch liner and investigate. I note that you said that yours was down to a blockage which you cleared but was your pump making any noise when you operated the switch? I guess I am trying to find out whether I need to find a new pump BEFORE I take the wheel and liner off or whether to take a chance that I can fix it as you did. Also, did you ever find a suitable replacement in the end or didn't you bother? Thanks.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 01:54:29 PM »
I have no experience of a jazz washer pump, but it may be similar to a couple of cars I have had.  These had a filter in the bottom of the washer bottle protecting the pump, but even so the pump can get clogged with gunge which could jamb the pump.  As others have said  all sorts of nasties can grow in there unless you maintain a good concentration of screen wash additive, even in summer.      I once bought a 2 year old used car where the washer fluid was like chicken soup with long tendrils of seaweed  growing in it. :o

Also on many cars the rear washer uses the same pump, but running backwards ,with one way valves. Not sure about the jazz.    But its worth checking to see if it is the same pump and whether it will run backwards.Running it backwards might help unclog it,or aid in diagnosis of a pump fault.

I was able to unclog the chicken soup pump  by inserting a length of wire into the washer bottle filler cap and probing the area of the filter to remove  some 'seaweed' .  I then used a length of plastic pipe to repeatedly suck and blow water around the filter to clear it.   Be careful not to swallow any, it tastes foul  :P  I should imagine  :-[ (rather than  fowl as in chicken.  :-* )  Better still use some sort of hose, but not too high pressure.   

« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:56:31 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 09:35:26 AM »
Try draining the reservoir then refill with hot warm + method , give time then try the switch. As others comment lock down low use has compounded this type of fault.

Paul H

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2009 Honda Jazz 1.4 EX
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 12:35:59 PM »
Well this morning I bit the bullet and changed both washer nozzles and the washer pump on my 2009 Jazz EX!

The washer nozzles are easy - you need to remove the windscreen wipers and scuttle (don't forget to undo the washer pipe on drivers side!) and remove one screw holding each of the old ones and it's a simple swap out.

The washer pump is a bit of a pain and fiddly - you need to jack the car up, remove the offside front wheel then carefully unclip the front part of the  shroud on the inner wheel arch and gently fold it back behind the wheel hub. The washer pump is quite tiny and is located at the front below the headlight. It just pulls out but is very tight. If you are tempted to use a screwdriver to prise it out be very careful. When I removed it I expected lots of sludge but nothing. Flushed the reservoir out twice with clean water then fitted new pump, connected electrics and pipes. Made a strong mix of windscreen fluid and water and filled the reservoir. Such a relief to hear the pump working and giving a good spray pattern!  Then just a case of remembering which clip and screw went where (different sizes of course!) and reassembling and refitting wheel.

I bought the 2 washer nozzles and pump from Cox Honda very reasonably and for a fraction of what Honda would charge.  The specific part numbers for my 2009 Jazz EX were:
 76810-TF0-G01 WASHER NOZZLE and 76846-TF0-003  WASHER PUMP

Hope that's of help to someone else!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 01:30:22 PM »
Good hear your result, did you try to coax the old one back to life?
I would soak in warmwater give it a good shouting then connect up to a spare battery

FordPrefect8

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 03:15:17 PM »
Hey, sorry for late reply - only just have noticed reply to thread! Glad it turned out dandy, I had to later fit a new nozzle anyway, found direct replacement on ebay for £5

Tags: