Author Topic: Jazz seems rusted -- need advice  (Read 1129 times)

bluasteruth

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES MK2
Jazz seems rusted -- need advice
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:46:44 PM »
Hello

I inherited a honda jazz and saw this under...
just wanted to check with you guys if this is just a surface rust?. can waxoyl save this?

Also, noticed that both the droplink rubber have these..are they still safe, or i need to replace them ASAP.
thank you!

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Jazz seems rusted -- need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 08:55:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  :D You've inherited a fine car.

The rust you see is just surface rust, fairly run of the mill. What age/mileage/region? Salted winter roads will be the cause, and northern regions tend to get more salt.

The drop links do need replacing. I believe the split rubber is an MOT fail, but I could be wrong. They're only a few quid each side from somewhere like Euro Car Parts and fairly easy to do. I would soak the fixings for a couple of days with WD40 before doing the job to make life easier. This video gives an idea of the process.

HTH

bluasteruth

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 09:15:47 PM »
Thanks Westy36  :)

It is a 2012 Jazz and has 112miles, i am in the west midlands.hehe.
It still runs brilliantly, i was just worried on the rusts behind the wheel, lol

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 09:28:18 PM »
OK so on photo no 2, now I look a little more closely, I can see some rust on the body. Yep, I would get that rubbed down and paint some waxoyl on there before the winter arrives.

I guess the wheel arch liner is just in shot. If you can remove the plastic to see what's behind, I would treat what's found there. I bought some waxoyl from Euros recently, wasn't very expensive.

112K? Just about run in!  :D My 2013 has the same mileage, and runs better than it did when I bought it with 82k on the clock. Still uses no oil or water and driven with care I've had over 60mpg out of it. Brilliant little motors.

BTW the manual, should you need it for repairs, can be found here: http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html

mitchelln

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 10:00:26 AM »
I recommend you use Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50. It's a much more advanced and durable product than venerable old Waxyol and easy to use. No mucking about warming it up in buckets of hot water first either!

For treating rust spots, Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 is really good stuff.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 10:29:40 AM by mitchelln »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 11:57:05 AM »
I'd treat the body rust with something that changes the rust  chemically. Dynax S-50 looks suitable.     But avoid any thick protective  coating such as underseal  because  MOT testers  can be suspicious that its covering over more serious rust.     

Thicker metal parts   would probably be ok as they are,  but you could give  it a wire brushing (avoiding rubber parts ) and a coat of suitable paint . (I always used smooth hammerite for jobs like this
 but there may be better more modern alternatives.  )
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 01:02:59 PM »
I've used the Bilt Hamber products. The Hydrate 80 seems to do a good job of killing the rust chemically, it turns from pale purple to nearly black when it cures. Give it 2 coats as directed then maybe some stonechip over the top to protect it. Always pour it into a separate container to use with a brush, never put the used brush nor return unused stuff into the original pot, any contamination will make it cure and will render it useless for future use.

I also use the various BH waxes, S50 and UC mainly. The UC is thin and more or less clear, it seems to penetrate well into cracks and seams though probably isn't as durable as the S50 in areas exposed to road wash (wheelarches etc). The aerosols are big and much easier to use than the open tin of UB etc., recommend the aerosols.
If you really want a bombproof job, the BH zinc primer Electrox. They say 90% zinc content. I couldn't believe the weight of the stuff, 1 Litre tin weighs nearly 3kg, that's the same as solid aluminium never mind paint. It's designed for marine use. Expensive but very effective. Available in aerosol and tin.

I get BH stuff direct from their website, free p&p over a certain amount (£50??), no commercial connection, just a happy consumer. https://bilthamber.com/

There's always good old Hammerite too, not as good as it used to be but still OK. I also use Johnstone's zinc phosphate primer, excellent product, don't bother with the cheaper "no-nonsense" alternatives from Screwfix etc, nowhere near as good.

bluasteruth

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 06:47:03 PM »
Thank you all for the advice!  ;D

so just to check if I get it right, to protect/correct it from rusting all over is to brush the rust then use a rust converter like hydrate 80, then use S50 for the cavities.

but can I just use S50 instead of hydrate 80 after brushing it?

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 10:02:05 PM »
The BH waxes (UB/UC/S50 etc) don't actually do the chemical conversion of the rust like the Hydrate 80 does. It's really up to you what you do, you can clean the loose rust off then paint with a suitable primer (the Johnstone's zinc phosphate is excellent) which will usually take pretty well to lightly rusty surfaces, then use a stonechip aerosol to protect it all. The idea of the zinc or phosphate primers is to get the chemical protection for the iron in the steel, the wax on its own won't really do it. Personally I think the Hydrate 80 is the best way to start the protection for rusty steel, you can paint directly onto that once cured, the choice of paint for protection is open, aerosol stonechip is probably the cheapest/simplest if you don't want to go to further expense.

Tags:

anything