Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 700269 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #2505 on: December 27, 2021, 12:30:29 PM »
1 charger per >20 cars at the office car park.

Musical cars to get them all charged.

Fiasco comes to mind.
Let's be careful out there !

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2506 on: December 27, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »
Neil Ives

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2507 on: December 27, 2021, 01:05:53 PM »
1 charger per >20 cars at the office car park.

Musical cars to get them all charged.

Fiasco comes to mind.

My daughter is Vice Principal of a sixth form college. They have been discussing the whole issue of charging at work (relevant to my daughter who has no off road parking along with around 45% of staff members). If I remember from our chat, they reckon the college can afford 10 chargers at the most to be sited as close to the buildings as possible - a rota system would be required to ensure people unplugged at a certain time to let others get a charge. "Sorry kids - I know we are in the middle of a lesson but talk amongst yourselves whilst I unplug my car."

We are not there yet are we? Indeed not even close.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #2508 on: December 27, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »
I recently stayed at a newly built travel lodge type hotel, popular with business users. Ample parking , no chargers.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2509 on: December 27, 2021, 02:59:17 PM »
One of the things that will be needed is "redundancy" - this is to cater for the fact that an EV takes about 30 mins to get to 80% charge whereas, once you are at the pump, 2 or 3 mins is all you need. In short, when you pull up at an EV charging point or hub, there should always be unused charge points.

We also need to nail the "90% of people will charge at home" lie. As lies go it is a whopper. 40% of homes have no off road parking and, given the high price of EVs so far, it is overwhelmingly better off people who own them at present. Come the day, 40% of charging will be done at public chargers.

I'm sounding a bit anti EV these days - I'm not - but I have very little confidence that the infrastructure will be anywhere near good enough in time. I hope I'm wrong but until I see chargers in our local supermarket car parks (there are a handful at most) I will continue to be sceptical.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #2510 on: December 27, 2021, 05:45:23 PM »
When I looked briefly at the Corsa EV it featured '3 months free subscription' to a particular organisation of charging point providers.(normally about £7 per month IIRC ) 
 I think they allow non subscribers but they pay more per watt. (and might be treated less favourably in other ways) Also their  fast chargers cost  considerably more per watt than the slower ones which would take hours.      Plus they charge an overstay parking fee if you leave a car on a fast charger  too long.  And the tempting  'fast' charge  speed quoted is only to 80 % charge. Dropping the corsas range from 180 miles  ( under ideal summer conditions) to 144 miles or less. 

The Vauxhall  site included a map of charging points ,which didnt seem extensive for my area, and often required an inconvenient diversion.  And some sites mentioned a membership requirement.   

I'd love an EV, but the infrastructure is not ready for me.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #2511 on: December 27, 2021, 06:36:14 PM »
My daughter was employed as a children's nanny in London; her employers are loaded and have a lovely 4 story terraced house in Ladbroke Grove. They have to park wherever they can, which might be on another street.
Neil Ives

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2512 on: December 27, 2021, 10:29:15 PM »
Maybe we'll discover as 2030 approaches that the rules are quietly changed so that self-charging hybrids can continue to be sold for sevral more years both to alleviate the charging problem and to avoid overloading the grid until several more big nuclear power plants (or output equivalent in smaller ones) are commissioned.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #2513 on: December 27, 2021, 10:55:45 PM »
Maybe we'll discover as 2030 approaches that the rules are quietly changed so that self-charging hybrids can continue to be sold for sevral more years both to alleviate the charging problem and to avoid overloading the grid until several more big nuclear power plants (or output equivalent in smaller ones) are commissioned.
Or until hydrogen powered or assisted vehicles are available.
Neil Ives

Julian Okampos

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #2514 on: December 29, 2021, 10:23:59 PM »
Maybe we'll discover as 2030 approaches that the rules are quietly changed so that self-charging hybrids can continue to be sold for sevral more years both to alleviate the charging problem and to avoid overloading the grid until several more big nuclear power plants (or output equivalent in smaller ones) are commissioned. Anyway, I don't regret buying my Model S via this company. They offered awesome conditions.   
I wonder if modern power grids will be able to handle all the electricity that will be consumed by electric cars in 5-10 years? I mean it will entail multibillion-dollar investments in infrastructure upgrades. I don't think that a lot of countries will afford that.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 07:39:43 AM by Julian Okampos »

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2515 on: December 30, 2021, 08:22:34 AM »
I wonder if modern power grids will be able to handle all the electricity that will be consumed by electric cars in 5-10 years? I mean it will entail multibillion-dollar investments in infrastructure upgrades. I don't think that a lot of countries will afford that.

Already planned for in UK > Smart Meters planned to stop charging at peak usage times.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2516 on: December 30, 2021, 12:48:30 PM »

Already planned for in UK > Smart Meters planned to stop charging at peak usage times.

Will smart meters also stop cars charging when sun does not shine and the wind does not blow,  which often happens - sometimes for weeks on end - Oh dear...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2517 on: December 30, 2021, 07:05:29 PM »

Smart meters won't stop anything but enable variable time-based tariffs which will encourage users to save money by doing charging (and other high electricity demand activities) when the electricity is cheapest. See https://octopus.energy/agile/ for example.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2518 on: December 31, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »
This is my favourite video of how to deal with a Tesla that has become and ornament due to FUBAR battery...Hope it catches on.  It has English subtitles ( you may need to enable subtitles on Youtube ).

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #2519 on: December 31, 2021, 04:15:51 PM »
There is a cartoon book , '101 uses for a dead cat.' (feline cat   ;) )   Time for a tesla edition. 

Tags:

anything