Author Topic: New Honda EV  (Read 2058 times)

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: New Honda EV
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2023, 06:37:19 AM »
Can you trickle charge the E from a standard 13A socket ?

When my current 5 year package runs out, a car sat in the garage just for local trips may be an answer for me.

Yes you can, it comes with such a cable for a 13A 3 pin socket. It's a completely viable charging option for the E given its small battery.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2023, 06:47:48 AM »
I have the E and it is the best car I've ever had, the tech is marvelous, the acceleration fantastic, the handling superb though I tend to drive more sedately nowadays. Retired, home charging, it's there for local trips, never used a public charger except once at Tesco when it was free and did not need it anyway, and would never go on a long trip in it because of the infrastructure. That is what the Jazz is perfect for, next best closest thing.

Completely agree at how good the E is to drive.
It does meet the brief perfectly as a city car within the confines of its full charge range.
In my case there were a few occasions when I needed to use it beyond its range, but I was unwilling to use/find public chargers.
After 1 year, electricity prices went through the roof(No viable duel rate energy tariff for me)  and then Honda offered me £1k more than I paid for it against a new Jazz. The near £5k I got back in the deal was very useful.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2023, 07:55:05 AM »

When my current 5 year package runs out, a car sat in the garage just for local trips may be an answer for me.
On our small Seat EV the 12v battery is charged as well as the main battery when the car is plugged in, so I imagine that's the same on all EVs. I did trickle charge it when we first had it but then realised it wasn't necessary.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2023, 09:11:26 AM »
I was just wondering, given it's an EV and not Hybrid, that a very slow granny charge would keep it toped up for when needed.

Seems pointless having a full blown high amp dedicated charging socket installed when I have a 13A in the garage wired directly to the consumer unit.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2023, 09:29:35 AM »

Yes. Charging on a 13a socket may take about 12 hours. Which should be fast enough in the situation you describe.

There are some (comparatively) budget priced EV's with smaller batteries that have a limited range which might suit someone who knows they are only ever likely to make short trips. .  A longer distance would require planning for recharging en -route. But you are basically buying a local runaround  not very suitable for anything else.  And when selling will need to find a buyer willing to accept the same limitations. Not sure how that would affect resale value.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 09:40:36 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 09:33:41 AM »
A granny charger (13A socket type) is only around 2.3KW, so it is pretty slow. House installed charger is around 6 to 7 KW

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 10:29:26 AM »
Thanks

My current mileage is a pathetic 150 miles a month. That includes 120 miles for 2 trips to Reading and back. Once I've moved to Reading my mileage will plummet to the occasional local DIY store and the tip.

A hybrid with idle petrol engine most of the time will suffer but a small EV will presumably not suffer as much as long as I rotate the wheels to avoid flat spots ?

Plan A however is to do without a car altogether.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2023, 11:47:38 AM »
In terms of using the granny charger it depends on the size of the battery in your car, eg ours is only 34kw and we charge it up from 25% to 80% in 7-8.hpurs on the 3 pin plug which isn't a problem, so if you're only doing low miles it would make sense to buy a small car with a small battery rather than an SUV type.

EVs are great for short trips, no sticky engine oil or engine to warm up, also less to go wrong

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 12:09:30 PM »
Agree, I would only need a small Honda E, or a large mobility scooter  :)

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2023, 12:38:14 PM »
A Renault Twizy would sit somewhere between a Honda E and a mobility scooter  ;)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2023, 01:09:49 PM »
But ....... it's French !  :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2023, 02:14:14 PM »
A small EV is the ideal car for me the bottom-of-the-range MG4 SE costs £26,995, has a range of over 200 miles for all bar motorway driving and has an LFP battery (lithium ferrophosphate). Because of their lower cost, high safety, low toxicity, long cycle life and other factors, LFP batteries are finding a number of roles in vehicle use. LFP batteries are cobalt-free.
I am doing approximately 70 miles of city driving a week and if I was not disabled I would probably be able to do without a car entirely.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2023, 02:51:26 PM »
What about the new MG all electric Cyberster at only £50k to £60k

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2023, 05:06:04 PM »
I looked at the honda E when I bought my jazz

Couldn't get past the fact that the dashboard looked like the bar in a gentleman's club
(er...not that I have actually ever been in one)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 06:05:27 PM »
Yes, but it takes 15 hours or so, I've never used it. My podpoint was put in when there was still a subsidy that meant it was the same price professionally installed, compared to my handiman putting an amazon cheapy 7kW which did not have very good reliability feedback. Today the subsidies are gone with all the tax increases too. I probably plug it in once a month.

Tags:

anything