Author Topic: Econ Mode  (Read 5544 times)

Mr Snazzy Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Econ Mode
« on: May 14, 2023, 09:23:00 PM »
Has anyone used the ‘econ’ button for any length of time? If so is it worth using?
Cheers!

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: Econ Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 09:27:34 PM »
... For me it stunts the power and the aircon too much. Also fuel economy was worse.
So no I definitely don't use it.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 10:32:36 PM »
... For me it stunts the power and the aircon too much. Also fuel economy was worse.
So no I definitely don't use it.

Totally agree!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 03:28:27 AM »
Also agree, did just the same on my 3 previous Civics, totally kills Aircon to the point that the car gets hotter when you're driving under full sun.

And, as posted, it kills throttle response.
Let's be careful out there !

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 06:24:41 AM »
I have pressed Econ after purchase and have been driving like that ever since. I hardly use the airconditioning so I do not notice much difference. Moreover, the car just goes when pressing the accelerator (just a bit further down, that’s all).
So far 68 mpg or 4.1 l/100km and still improving  :)

rightasrain

• Registered Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz E:HEV Executive MY22
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 07:14:31 AM »
The same as Marco but 3.85l/100km.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 07:18:59 AM by rightasrain »

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 07:15:49 AM »
I don't use eco mode on any car for the various reasons already mentioned. However, in several of my cars, on long runs when testing, I have achieved the same mpg in normal, eco and sport modes.

Yesterday on the motorway on a level surface, fixed speed and fixed throttle, when pressing the eco button the instant fuel economy bar moved from just under 70 to just over 70. I repeated several times and each time I saw the same effect.
So clearly under those conditions, there was a benefit.
Switched back to normal mode as the improved throttle response and full aircon is worth more to me than a few more mpg

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2023, 07:40:12 AM »
Each to their own again.

I had a day where my car sat outside for a few hours in the sun and it got very hot inside. When I started up, the Aircon on auto did pump out icy cold air on a high fan speed but the fan speed soon reduced to quite low and when I felt the air coming from the centre vents it was only slightly cold.

As soon as I turned off Eco the fan speed instantly rose and the air was icy cold again. I'd selected 20C but it gave up at about 26C. Eco off and it continued to cool down to about 22C. I have an inside digital thermo.

On the throttle, I was on a rising motorway slip road and I could see a gap to pull in to if I accelerated to match the traffic speed. I pressed the throttle and got very little response. Again, turned off Eco and the the speed picked up as required and I did manage to slot in.

This isn't a Mk4 Jazz thing but something I've tested on 2 8G Civics and 1 9G Civic and the same on all.

Very similar posts on the Civic forum re Eco/AC/Throttle/MPG

If it works for you then go for it :)
Let's be careful out there !

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2023, 08:31:06 AM »
No, not on this current Jazz nor on my previous cars fitted with one. It really didn't make any noticeable improvement on MPG, and what is the point of air con/climate control if all you're going to do is dampen the effect.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023, 09:09:12 AM »
I dont use econ mode as it stunts throttle  response.    A driver who is careful with the throttle can achieve just as much fuel saving or even better without econ mode.
 With aircon I use my discretion and sometimes switch it off completely myself. IMO thats more eco friendly than its always  running, sometime at an inadequate output, whether its really  needed or not .   

Sorry but I think drivers who always  use econ mode have got used to a lower standard of throttle response and regard it as adequate and normal for the car.  Whether its adequate is a personal choice. But it can be better. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 09:56:21 AM »
Sorry but I think drivers who always  use econ mode have got used to a lower standard of throttle response and regard it as adequate and normal for the car.  Whether its adequate is a personal choice. But it can be better.

I always use econ mode and and indeed: I regard the  throttle response as adequate and normal for the car. And as for acceleration on a (short) slip road or fast overtaking maneuver: pedal to the metal and you are really exactly the same fast as the Jazz next to you without econ.
Parking in full sun  on a hot day? No problem: before starting open all the windows or (even more effective) if possible doors and tailgate for a few minutes. Our aircon always managed (in our climate) to achieve a comfortable temperature. I don't know how that will be in the future with global warming...
If nothing goes right, go left!

rightasrain

• Registered Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz E:HEV Executive MY22
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 10:20:55 AM »

I always use econ mode and and indeed: I regard the  throttle response as adequate and normal for the car. And as for acceleration on a (short) slip road or fast overtaking maneuver: pedal to the metal and you are really exactly the same fast as the Jazz next to you without econ.
Parking in full sun  on a hot day? No problem: before starting open all the windows or (even more effective) if possible doors and tailgate for a few minutes. Our aircon always managed (in our climate) to achieve a comfortable temperature. I don't know how that will be in the future with global warming...

Totally agree!
Every single word.

SouthernExile

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 4 SR Crystal Black (70 Reg)
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 10:54:02 AM »
Right or wrong, I have Econ mode on all the time, whether through a sense of reluctance to pay more for fuel or burnishing my green credentials, I'm not sure. But I think that so far as fuel consumption goes, much more difference is made by how you use the accelerator and by external circumstances.

This morning I made a return journey from Darlington to Barnard Castle, 15 miles each way. Weather warm and sunny (by northern England standards). On the outwward journey. somewhat uphill and pursued by a white van, I went at mostly 60 where allowed, hurrying generally, and achieved a mere 58.5mpg. Coming back, little traffic, more downhill, mostly going at 50mph or less, I achieved 97.8mpg.

Whilst a conventional petrol car would have shown some difference between the two journeys, I think that fuel consumption is much more variable in the Jazz and I'm not sure Econ has much to do with it.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 11:00:05 AM »
Sorry guys we'll have to agree to differ. Like I say ,personal choice. 

I cannot dispute that  'pedal to the metal'  Econ mode may give the same ultimate performance and acceleration.   Its the reduced  responsiveness and liveliness of the car when using more subtle and delicate  throttle control   that is not to my taste.  If that was as good as it gets then I would accept it as   adequate, but not when I know the car can do better.   

I cant comment on the effectiveness of aircon in econ mode as the throttle response put me off using it for long enough to find out.  And yes this also means I maybe  havnt used it enough to know for sure   it wouldnt improve my mpg slightly in some circumstances.   :-[   But I get very good mpg without it, similar to the eco mode regulars.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 12:18:36 PM »
I cant comment on the effectiveness of aircon in econ mode

..../....

Totally agree!
Every single word.

Wait.... rightasrain lives in Italy...? Average temperatures (slightly :D) higher than where most of us live...?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags: