Author Topic: New Model Jazz Irritations  (Read 24595 times)

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
New Model Jazz Irritations
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »
Having owned two of the old model Jazz and enjoyed 85,000 miles of trouble free motoring I have just bought a new Jazz 1.4 Si and I am starting to think that it may have been a mistake. Having owned my new car for one month and driven over 1000 miles in it I’m not impressed and I am currently compiling a list of irritations of the new model.

My first Irritation is dashboard reflection; has anyone else noticed the annoying reflection of the dashboard (especially the top of the instrument binnacle) in the windscreen? I’ve had to start wearing polarised sunglasses every time I drive the car, even when the weather is overcast outside.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: New Model Jazz Irritations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »
I take it you did test drive one before you bought it?

I had one as a courtesy car and I have mixed views on it compared to the old model.

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »
I had a test drive in a 1.4 ES about 12 months ago and I can't remember noticing a dashboard reflection then. Anyway you didn't say whether you noticed any dashboard reflection when you drove the courtesy car.

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
I too have mixed views of the new model after test driving one after it came out (see my review) and having one a couple months back as a courtesy car.

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »
Having owned two of the old model Jazz and enjoyed 85,000 miles of trouble free motoring I have just bought a new Jazz 1.4 Si and I am starting to think that it may have been a mistake. Having owned my new car for one month and driven over 1000 miles in it I’m not impressed and I am currently compiling a list of irritations of the new model.

My first Irritation is dashboard reflection; has anyone else noticed the annoying reflection of the dashboard (especially the top of the instrument binnacle) in the windscreen? I’ve had to start wearing polarised sunglasses every time I drive the car, even when the weather is overcast outside.

- reflection of the dashboard
- vibrating windows when open a bit
- annoying noise from left front door area on a bumpy road (more cold more sensitive)
- rattle noise from the dashboard (driver side) - probably something just loosen up
- dimming headlights (http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=1250.0)
- short cooling fan cycles (http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=1279.0)
- trip computer info - expected mileage

edit by admin: fixed broken links.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:37:58 PM by RichardA »
100+1 HP

guest671

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
I have had a new model Jazz since they came out nearly 2 years ago and have never noticed a dashboard reflection (probably will now you have mentioned it!). However there is an annoying rattle from the passenger window when slightly open. The other slight annoyance is the 'variable service indicator' which seems to have a mind of its own when determining when the car should be serviced. I just had to have an A and B service only 9 months and 3500 miles after the last service. However despite everything I would never swap it for anything else. The good points outweigh the bad by a million times!

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 09:45:54 PM »
Thank you for the reply. The reason I asked the question is that it’s possible that when the dealer valeted my car, polish was used on the dash thus being responsible for the reflection. I’ve ordered some Simoniz Matt Dash Cleaner to see if that improves things.

You have mentioned another possible irritation, the variable servicing. It looks like my Honda dealer hasn’t activated the servicing indicator during the PDI as it does not show up on the multi-information display.

One of the reasons I buy Honda cars is that you only need to take them to the dealers once a year for a service as taking them back for warranty work is not the norm (unlike the Fiat Multipla I owned 7 years ago). If variable servicing means that you may have to make more trips to the dealer then I can’t see this as being an improvement over the old 12,500 mile/12 month service intervals.

You may say you would not swap it for anything else but have you owned an old model Jazz? I owned two and unfortunately I don’t see this new model as an improvement on the old, a real shame. A few things are improvements like the rear seat headrests and yes it may look better. But is Honda following a trend of offering style over substance?

I don’t usually drive with the windows down so I can’t say that I’ve heard any rattles related to this.

guest1128

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
My irritations are
- the engine is so silent and smooth that I had started 3 times  already running engine >:( They can manufacture it as as noisy and vibrating as Tsi Vws  :P
- when I push the horn my cars cruise main gets activated (remember mine is a left hand drive car). Well im not sure whether there is a problem or horn button contacts cruise main button or my right hand hits trhe cruise main button.
- the only rattle comes from untight rear number plate. I had a servicing this month from a new service. They had replaced number plate frame with theirs and it rattles.
- shame on honda not having auto dimming mirror even on the uppermost spec level
- shame on honda not having OEM spoiler and sport grille even on the uppermost spec level (well even the lowest spec civic sedan has sport grille)

guest671

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
Prior to my current new style jazz I did used to own a old model jazz and I must confess I cannot think of a single 'irritation' on it. Having said that the new model does seem slightly better at almost everything over the old one. Mainly, the new model feels a lot bigger and more comfortable. The only thing the old model was better at was driving down twisty country roads, the roadholding was noticably better. I love Hondas mainly for their rock solid reliability. I used to have Ford cars and like a mug I used to keep buying them and paying out a fortune on constant repairs. I think I must of thought that was the 'norm'!

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
UK not having the (1.5) RS model like JDM  :(

guest986

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
YES! I have noticed the dashboard reflection in the windscreen on sunny days. It can be quite obtrusive.

My only other niggle really is the white backlight of the radio/clock display. At night, this is quite bright (even with the radio off) and a constant distraction in my peripheral vision. It dims down a bit with the headlights on, but not enough, and I would prefer it to go completely dark when the radio is not in use.

But they're minor things really.

guest1318

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »
I see I'm not the only person with a problem with dashboard reflections.

If going under trees in sunlight the reflections actually flash dangerously into my eyes and I have nearly had an accident because of this.

My local dealer is looking into the problem but says they have never had any other complaints about it

dogbiscuit

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
Thank you to those who have confirmed that they are noticing the intrusive dashboard reflections on the new model Jazz. I have now tried Simoniz Matt Finish Foaming Dash Cleaner but it doesn’t help. I was a bit optimistic thinking a can of spray could compensate for the poor design of the new Honda Jazz dashboard. There are too many unnecessary ridges on the top of the deep dashboard. The Honda design team need to read this article on Windshield reflections http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_visibility before they design another model. Oh well back to wearing the polarised sunglasses for now unless ghudson’s local dealer can come up with a solution.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
I have lived in hot countries and people there normally put dark sheepskin, thin dark carpet or like a dark velvet material over their dashboard.  It is actually there to stop plastic dash cracking from hot sun but also stops reflections in the windshield. Maybe you could fit it using some of those self-adhesive velcro pads.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1318

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts about covering the dash with a non-reflective material Culzean, but if anyone does it please remember not to cover the airbag part of the dash on the passenger side.
I still think we should not have to do this with a £14k car!

Tags:

anything