Author Topic: Washer nozzle replacement/repair: how to dismount bonnet?  (Read 2151 times)

user1652

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
Washer nozzle replacement/repair: how to dismount bonnet?
« on: May 02, 2022, 03:00:03 PM »
One of my washer nozzle (the first served by the supply tube) has a very low pressure. I cleaned the outside of it in case some dirt would be stuck, but no luck. I suspect the pipe supplying it might be disconnecting.

It seems a trivial enough issue for me to have a go at it. However, I can't seem to be able to find instructions on how to access it. I have located 1 screw on each side of the bonnet to remove, but then it looks like I should remove what appear to be insulation. It's fixed with wide black “four leaf clovers” plastic parts I fear of breaking.

Would you know where I could find instructions on how to access (or replace) the washer nozzle by myself?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: Washer nozzle replacement/repair: how to dismount bonnet?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 04:36:26 PM »
Have you tried clearing it with a pin or guitar string?

FarNorthJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 04:39:28 PM »
Removing the insulation under the bonnet will not give you access to the washer piping or jets.   It looks like access to these will require removal of a plastic moulding that is fitted to the rear of the metal bonnet hood,  and I am not sure how you get this off.

If you do remove the insulation under the bonnet it is almost certain that some of the "clover leaf" clips will break.  Replacements are cheap  -  about £3 for 10 on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371405325285?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus

user1652

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »
Have you tried clearing it with a pin or guitar string?

I tried a pin, without any improvement, though. But I haven't tried something as long as a guitar string — I shall give it a go, thanks!

Removing the insulation under the bonnet will not give you access to the washer piping or jets.   It looks like access to these will require removal of a plastic moulding that is fitted to the rear of the metal bonnet hood,  and I am not sure how you get this off.

Good to know that removing the insulation wouldn't help, but that in case, the clips are cheap. I tried to pull the moulding (after removing a screw on each side) — but it's hard to know when one should pull a bit strongly to “unclip” the moulding vs. when it will simply break a tiny-yet-crucial plastic bit.

Don't know if it will help.

Thanks. I had watched it indeed. Unfortunately, the access to the nozzles isn't as easy as in the video…

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 06:38:38 PM »
Might also be worth syphoning out the contents of the screen wash tank, after a few years a lodge of sludge can build up at the bottom restricting flow.
Then replace with new screenwash and it should be better.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 02:42:27 PM »
Might also be worth syphoning out the contents of the screen wash tank, after a few years a lodge of sludge can build up at the bottom restricting flow.
Then replace with new screenwash and it should be better.
I had this  problem once with an opel corsa.  I think the previous owner had been using plain water,not  screen wash.  The water was like chicken soup  with algae growing in it.   I siphoned it out . The corsa has a filter in the bottom of the tank  that stops crud getting into the pump and pipes. This was clogged.  I flushed it out with a garden hose and a bit of careful poking with some stiff wire.  Problem solved. Jets much stronger. I dont know the arrangment on your jazz.

Alternatively You may find the pipe to the jet  has an accessible  connection joint further down the line nearer the washer bottle.  If you disconnect this and blow hard down the pipe it might clear the blocked jet. Only use lung power.  An air line might  be too much pressure.  It might help dislodge a blockage if you alternately suck and blow on the pipe.  Problem here is you dont really want to get any screenwash into your mouth.  It can contain all sorts of nasties   , or contain  'bitrex'  which makes it very bitter and unpalatable.  . (I have a 'peach scented' summer screen wash that does smell good enough to drink.  :P )

I know its not relevant this time of year  , but my Yaris was quite  prone to the jets freezing. Not the fluid, which I have at minus 20 in the winter. ., I think the design allowed ice melt to gather externally which seeps into the jets  and freezes.  . 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 03:07:40 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags:

anything