Author Topic: Coal - the fuel of the future  (Read 4522 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Coal - the fuel of the future
« on: March 03, 2022, 02:11:01 PM »
Blue Peter from 1975. How prescient of them.

https://fb.watch/bwxoavfLnn/

Before you start doing the sums, he means 45lb weight of anthracite, not pounds in money, per 100 miles.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Coal - the fuel of the future
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 03:58:18 PM »
It's uncanny isn't it? Certainly Germany may have to go back to coal for a while to get away from dependence on Russian gas. I hate the idea on environmental grounds but needs must in the current situation.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 04:08:42 PM »
Cutting coal out before a viable alternative was available wasn't the best move.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 04:17:13 PM »
Neither was closing down nuclear.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 04:22:12 PM »
Germans never really lost their dependency on coal.  But now they import coal rather than mine it, and a lot of their coal comes from Russia, and even as far away as USA and Australia.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 05:23:31 PM »
So on top of burning coal they are burning fuel getting it.

Makes you wonder about the sanity of the decision makers.
Let's be careful out there !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2022, 06:58:35 PM »
People don't need ruling they just need the elite to listen then act in the interest of all. Fat chance.
UK is able to support 50m population not 80m +.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 11:23:13 AM »
So on top of burning coal they are burning fuel getting it.

Makes you wonder about the sanity of the decision makers.
Yep. Crazy and short sighted.

People don't need ruling they just need the elite to listen then act in the interest of all. Fat chance.
UK is able to support 50m population not 80m +.
What people need is sensible leadership.

Coal should be consigned to the past.
New renewable technologies should have been researched, developed and adopted earlier but that  boat has now sailed.

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/sixth-assessment-report-working-group-ii/

JimSh

• Approved Member

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2022, 01:02:07 PM »
'sending the wrong message to developing countries'  - they have already made their mind up they are not going to trash their economies by virtue signalling to the greenies.    OK, so we use fans on sticks and sun-catching panels in UK,  many times the wind goes absent for weeks at a time,  often at coldest time of year,  sun is pretty scarce in UK between October and March.  Even in high summer we get nowhere near the 'installed capacity' of solar ( 15GW ) and then only maybe 7 hours a day - which includes the 'ramp up' and 'ramp down' of a sine wave - the 'average' power ( or RMS = DC equivalent power ) in a sine wave is something like 0.7 of its peak value.  The head of German power generation said years ago that as long a renewables are <25% of your supply you can make allowances for them ( because every source of renewable generation requires 100% backup from more conventional power stations connected to your grid).

The only systems we have that have at an affordable cost that react quick enough to back up unreliable renewables are gas turbines and water storage  - so it looks like we will be reliant on Gas for a long time yet ( until Fusion takes over LOL ).

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/basic_concepts/electronic-electrical-waveforms/sine-waveform.php
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2022, 04:27:03 PM »
Nope.
 Extract from article
"Coal is the dirtiest of all fossil fuels and any return to its widescale burning across Europe would send the worst possible message to developing nations currently resisting pressure to close down mines and ancient power plants as part of the international programme aimed at cutting back carbon emissions."

Coal is a dead end. ---Literally.

richardfrost

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 04:38:18 PM »
I'd just like to say that I didn't want to start another thread like the one on generating power.

My intention was to promote a bit of lightheartedness based in the 1970s footage on Blue Peter of a man powering a car with anthracite, as a result of the oil crisis from the early '70s.

guest9236

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2022, 04:48:21 PM »
Nope.
 Extract from article
"Coal is the dirtiest of all fossil fuels and any return to its widescale burning across Europe would send the worst possible message to developing nations currently resisting pressure to close down mines and ancient power plants as part of the international programme aimed at cutting back carbon emissions."

Coal is a dead end. ---Literally.

Not if your family are cold and no other alternative is available to use, or not able to afford The gadgets like air/ ground heat  pumps etc etc.

To hell with this greenies crap, it is all well and good if you can afford it, the world has heated up and cooled down from its very Inception.
 Learn   to live with it. We are being brainwashed by profit seekers and those wishing to become ever more richer than they are already.
 EVs huh what about the energy and steel production to produce a car body that magically becomes green transport powered by a Battery of dubious  life spans that in itself requires energy and vast resources to manufacture and also  energy to dismantle and recover  any metals, this will leave mountains of  spoil to hide or dispose of. The mind boggles
All this zero brainwashing can never be achieved as long as countries such as India, China and many many more are convinced that they can also save the world.
I doubt if that will ever happen.

guest9236

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2022, 04:55:44 PM »
I'd just like to say that I didn't want to start another thread like the one on generating power.

My intention was to promote a bit of lightheartedness based in the 1970s footage on Blue Peter of a man powering a car with anthracite, as a result of the oil crisis from the early '70s.

Thanks Richard that seems a great idea in fact a MINE of information,
 The way the world is going at the moment Putin will be solving all our worries in a single stroke.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2022, 06:27:25 PM »

April 1st?

Edit. Nope looked it up it was on the 3rd March
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:03:21 PM by JimSh »

Tags:

anything