Author Topic: Wiper scratches on windshield?  (Read 1441 times)

ChasingDopamine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz S I-VTEC 2016
Wiper scratches on windshield?
« on: February 24, 2022, 06:54:53 PM »
just noticed two white streaks one morning on my windshield. They line up with how my wipers move and they are parallel to each other.

I was wondering if it could be a scratch? I tried rubbing my nail across it, there was a different texture and sound but I couldn't tell if it goes in or out. I tried wiping and pressure washing but it didn't come off.

Is there anything else I could do to investigate?

Any help would be appreciated thank you
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:20:05 PM by ChasingDopamine »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Wiper scratches on windshield?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 07:07:34 PM »
That looks like wax. Try something like meths or a light abrasive such as toothpaste.

Henryge

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 43.3
  • My Honda: jazz 1.4 litre 2014 ivtec
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 08:08:31 PM »
Hi There,
Check the wipers for any nicks in that position, Then try soapy water to remove streaks.
Use Fingernail across streak to see if ridged or a trough. Last resort use nail polish remover (sparingly)
this will remove anything.
                          Hope this helps

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 08:35:56 AM »
My trick is to wash screen and wiper blades with a solution of vinegar and warm water using a microfibre mitt. Blade the water off and inspect, then repeat.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 05:48:38 PM »
Be very careful if using nail polish remover. It can damage paintwork.

If solvents fail to shift it  it may be scratched.   Toothpaste  can work ,but will probably need a lot of hard work, preferably with a rotary mop.  (Not a toothbrush   :P )      I'd test it on a small area out of drivers line of sight.    Best to be very critical of results. The slightest imperfection could ruin vision.

You can buy DIY screen scratch removal kits ,with abrasives etc.  I havnt checked the prices  but you might find  it wont be much more expensive  having it done expertly by a windcreen company.  (except they may tell you it needs replacing when it may not .)   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 06:12:17 PM »
I've heard of success with jewellers rouge, but again, if it takes too much off then the wipers will miss bits.

I think my first experiment would be a good glass cleaner applied with a plastic based kitchen scourer. One of those green and yellow sponge jobs and don't press too hard.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 06:40:35 PM »
One of those green and yellow sponge jobs and don't press too hard.
White and yellow are the softer ones for delicate surfaces.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 10:31:24 AM »
IIRC is the actual 'nylon fibre layer' that is the key ( the sponge colour is neither here nor there ).,  I have found generally as below,  Trouble is some scourers are colour coded just to prevent cross-contamination and will all be fairly soft ( bur may be blue, red, yellow ).

White nylon fibres = safe for non-stick etc

green nylon fibre = a bit scratchier - can be used to cleanup softer metals like battery posts and copper pipes

Brown nylon = about the same as steel wire-wool - will clean up steel and scratch glass.

I have used the white nylon pads with pre-diluted sugar soap to deep clean windscreen a few times, just use the pad to spread the sugar soap all over and apply light pressure, leave 10 minutes, and wash off with clean water / garden hose.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-concentrated-sugar-soap-500ml/p/0066386
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:35:11 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 12:02:00 PM »
I tend to rotate mine so the one I use on the windscreen has seen active duty in the kitchen first so it's softer.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 12:17:30 PM »
I tend to rotate mine so the one I use on the windscreen has seen active duty in the kitchen first so it's softer.

That is what  I do - because if her indoors saw me using a new one for anything but washing up she would go hypersonic  :o
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 12:24:17 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: