Author Topic: New smoke alarm law - Scotland.  (Read 2038 times)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: New smoke alarm law - Scotland.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 02:50:31 PM »
I fitted my (England) house with a linked system (probably 15yrs ago now), hardwired, various types of sensors in different areas according to the recommendations (ionisation, heat, optical). Hardwiring a circuit is a lot of faff unless doing a rewire or similar.
There are other options available now with wireless systems etc, which while expensive in hardware terms they can save an awful lot of wiring work so can end up cost effective.
My first units were mains/rechargeable back-up, but I replaced them with mains/replaceable battery types as being cheaper but also don't suffer from unpredictable rechargeable battery failures. Just fit a new PP9 every year or two when they start to beep.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 06:47:38 PM »
Mine are sealed for life with a 10-year battery. You replace the whole unit after 10 years as the sensor needs replaced then anyway.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 12:11:56 AM »
That's what mine were first time, but I had a couple go down prematurely and being non-serviceable it means replacing the whole thing. I decided a replaceable dry battery option was a cheaper solution, YMMV.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
There is no penalty but your home insurance may be void if you have a claim and the system has not been fitted.
Received an email from my insurance company this morning and expected to be told this but it appears not.

"From this month, several important changes to the laws covering smoke alarms, heat alarms and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms will come into force in Scotland. These changes, while only required by law in Scotland at present, highlight the importance of fire protection in every home and are well worth considering wherever you live. They won’t have an affect on your esure Home Insurance, so your cover is unaffected, and you don’t need to contact us about these changes."

May not apply to other companies however.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2022, 03:46:28 PM »
There is no penalty but your home insurance may be void if you have a claim and the system has not been fitted.
Received an email from my insurance company this morning and expected to be told this but it appears not.

"From this month, several important changes to the laws covering smoke alarms, heat alarms and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms will come into force in Scotland. These changes, while only required by law in Scotland at present, highlight the importance of fire protection in every home and are well worth considering wherever you live. They won’t have an affect on your esure Home Insurance, so your cover is unaffected, and you don’t need to contact us about these changes."

May not apply to other companies however.

It would be difficult for them to apply the new rules retrospectively to an existing insurance contract. But should you at some future time change insurers (or even when renewing with the same insurer) then compliance may well be a requirement of a new contract.

Not being lucky enough to live in Scotland (!), I was unaware of these new regs until Jocko started this thread. It's made me consider that perhaps it's time to upgrade our alarms. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Tags:

anything