Author Topic: Spare Bulb Kit  (Read 1293 times)

Guinness 2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Sunlight White
Spare Bulb Kit
« on: August 07, 2023, 01:27:04 PM »
Am travelling to France soon (from UK). French require you to carry a spare Bulb kit. Honda don't seem to sell one for Jazz Hybrid.  Any ideas anyone?  Ta muchly

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR

Guinness 2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
Re: Spare Bulb Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 02:04:45 PM »
Thanks for idea tfw7 - however when I enter my registration I'm told the kit may not be suitable for my car and then offers loads of single bulbs!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 02:35:58 PM »
Most of the bulbs on the MK4 are LED so you can't easily change them yourself anyway AFAIK.

Can you just get a cheap universal pack just to wave under their noses
Let's be careful out there !

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 03:41:39 PM »
I think you will find that the law does not require that the bulb kit fits your car, just that you are required to carry one. However I understand, it is unlikely you will be arrested, as they do not enforce. With modern cars some  led’s are not repairable , you have to change the whole unit.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 03:54:57 PM »
The 'Le shuttle'  site appears more up to date. It says its  recommended, but not compulsory, to carry a bulb kit . It recommends carrying spares for any bulbs you can easily change yourself.  But not for any LED and HID's that require a qualified technician to change.      In worse case scenario you might have to stop driving in the dark  and call out a recovery vehicle. ( Or not  ;)
Some bulbs on the mk4  are still conventional Tungsten. Carry spares for these.  An old  spare bulbs kit is an ideal container, to keep these safe and even if the headlight bulbs  dont actually fit you will appear contrite and willing.  :P

The Le shuttle site lists other stuff that is compulsory (or forbidden such as speed trap detectors ) I strongly recommend getting a crit air pollution sticker. . They cost less than 5 euro and last the life of the car.  It could save you from a hefty fine in some areas.   IIRC you are covered if you have applied, even if the actual sticker does not arrive in time for your trip.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/driving-in-france/

https://www.france.fr/en/holiday-prep/crit-air-anti-pollution-vehicle-sticker 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 03:57:41 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Guinness 2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 05:34:52 PM »
Thanks guys. Will take a few odd bulbs and hope for the best!!  Have my Crit Air sticker and Emovis Tag. My previous HR-V had self adjusting headlights so no convertors required. I'm sure I read the same in the jazz Hybrid manual when I studied it  but can't find the appropriate paragraph now.  Only a concern in tunnels as I don't plan to drive at night - will be too busy wining and dining!!

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 06:44:17 PM »
is it this bit, Page 198

Guinness 2

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 09:42:43 PM »
Thanks tfw7 (again) Knew I'd seen it somewhere. Who knew there was a Dover Regulation that is part of UN Regulation 48!!!

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 12:51:58 PM »
Jazz Mk3 '17 plate EX I-VTEC CVT
Prior to recent French visit I removed several (tungsten) bulbs to obtain the type numbers and get spares.
Fortunately already had one for the head light - which I thought had failed, but problem was a 'dicky' fuse!
BTW "GB" no longer accepted must be "UK" - (Brexit?). Maybe an exception for number plates with Country Code.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2023, 04:44:55 PM »
... BTW "GB" no longer accepted must be "UK" - (Brexit?). Maybe an exception for number plates with Country Code.
It was entirely the UK's decision to change what had been in place since 1903 (I believe). Nothing to do with the EU nor Brexit per se.

The UK notified the UN that it intended to change, most accounts reckon it was something to do with wanting to make Nor'n Ireland feel included (not included in GB of course).

A number plate showing no country of registration is of course LEGAL to display, as is a plate showing GB or the EU ring of stars or a St.George flag and GB etc, however these do NOT satisfy the legal requirements when abroad and in such cases a separate UK plate must ALSO be shown.
A number plate showing a Union Flag ("Jack") and a UK symbol satisfies the requirements without the need for a separate UK plate.
Countries' police forces vary in how they enforce or ignore such things, Austria are pretty strict for example and you will very probably be fined for failing to comply.

As for bulbs, I generally carry a box of a selection of bulbs which may or may not be appropriate for that car, no-one is ever going to check whether your car uses a 380 or a 580 stop/tail bulb (lamp). Hopefully they are right. The only ones I make sure are correct are headlights. I have had those go both in cars and on motorbikes, definitely a problem at night when you only have one headlight and it doesn't work!.

The other thing is to make sure you carry hi-vis jackets/waistcoats for all passengers and they must be IN THE CABIN, not in the boot. People often have them put over the seat back so they are visible, avoids any questions. You MUST wear them if you have to stop on the highway and get out of the car for breakdowns etc. so they have to be reachable inside the car.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 04:56:33 PM by embee »

R2D3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar in Sunlight White
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 05:02:22 PM »
For years I have carried a pack of spare bulbs and fuses, but it is so old that I cannot remember what car it was for but most likely my very first  - a Renault 5 TS!  On most cars I have had in the last 20 years it's been almost impossible to change many of the bulbs anyway without removal of various engine parts/wheel arch innards/engine management covers etc, so it has never been an issue that I had the wrong bulbs.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 08:40:57 PM »
I miss the old GB sticker. The new UK ones don't look right to me. I've still got my magnetic GB sticker with the Euro stars in the garage that covered 10's thousands of KM. Guess it's just for nostalgia now.

Like most folk, just generic spare bulb kit. Had the same one for 20+yrs.

Tags:

anything