Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 149006 times)

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #645 on: October 17, 2023, 08:52:33 PM »
What MPG did you get on the motorway trips?
I have tried to "swim with the flow" which is around 100 to 120 km/h  (63 to 75 mph) which momentarily sent the consumption up into the high fives.
As you can see from my signature the overall consumption is still in the low fours - however the latest trip across Switzerland (220 miles) on my way back with an average of 4.8  (58 mpg) isn't accounted for as I haven't fueled up yet.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #646 on: October 18, 2023, 10:38:06 AM »
What MPG did you get on the motorway trips?
I have tried to "swim with the flow" which is around 100 to 120 km/h  (63 to 75 mph) which momentarily sent the consumption up into the high fives.
As you can see from my signature the overall consumption is still in the low fours - however the latest trip across Switzerland (220 miles) on my way back with an average of 4.8  (58 mpg) isn't accounted for as I haven't fueled up yet.
I have heard that Switzerland may  be introducing an 80 kph (50 mph) speed limit on all their motorways.  That will solve it, unless you leave the country   ;D
I tend to avoid Swiss motorways anyway  as you need to buy an annual vignette even if you are only transiting in a day.  And they often seem to be underground .  I prefer scenic routes anyway.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #647 on: October 19, 2023, 02:18:25 PM »
I have heard that Switzerland may  be introducing an 80 kph (50 mph) speed limit on all their motorways.
Yes, this is being discussed as a measure to keep traffic flowing more smoothly during rush hours.

Regarding the toll of CHF 40 a year for all of Switzerland's motorways: Did you happen to err to France or Italy? These countries are charging far more for the use of their motorways (and there is no yearly "flat rate" like in Switzerland or Austria)!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #648 on: October 19, 2023, 03:48:39 PM »
..... and it works

Back in 2004 they limited the western section of the M25 clockwise whilst they widened it to 4 lanes.

This work went on for 2 years and during that time the traffic ran far more smoothly and I got home quicker than when it was 70 before and after when it became a carpark again
Let's be careful out there !

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #649 on: October 23, 2023, 03:27:18 PM »
Latest fill data, looks like my style will settle it arounf the 54 figure overall, mode B and eco, D for any steady driving with cruise control on.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #650 on: October 23, 2023, 05:43:43 PM »
Yes - you do get to a figure after a year or two. My average mpg hovers around 56 mpg and that's over 2 years (but only 4,000 miles). Within that figure are some significant peaks and troughs - just off the the top of my head a low of 45 mpg and a high of 64 mpg. I have never actually got 56 mpg! Arithmetic mean is the name of the game here.

Mostly urban but what kills my mpg is the use of the ICE engine to heat the car's interior in the colder months. If I did longer trips I suspect my mpg would be closer to 60.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #651 on: October 23, 2023, 09:20:40 PM »
Mostly urban but what kills my mpg is the use of the ICE engine to heat the car's interior in the colder months.

Why not use the seat heater(s) and the steering wheel heater?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #652 on: October 24, 2023, 05:16:04 AM »
Assuming you mean turning off the heating completely:

I don't think turning off the main heating system and relying on seat and wheel heaters alone is a good idea

How do you keep the inside glass clear on cold days when they mist up due to interior moisture

Also, it's known that not running the aircon regularly, which is part of the heating system, damages some of it's working parts

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #653 on: October 24, 2023, 06:27:23 AM »
You can however play around with the settings. When driving in town for a short journey I turn the climate system off to shut down the engine. Once on the highway - engine running anyway - I turn it on.
Leaving it turned off always is not a good idea; you end up with a very humid car.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #654 on: October 24, 2023, 08:56:26 AM »
Much as i am concerned about the environmental impact  of  using more fuel my main concern is being able to see. So I take whatever steps are necessary to clear mist and ice asap.Heating the cabin for my comfort can wait.   I will wear warmer clothes if necessary although I seldom need to as heated seats work well and quickly, while using less fuel.  Same in summer, I wont get roasted alive ,or get so hot and bothered it affects my concentration  just to save  a small amount on air conditioning.  I might open a window instead but that has a similar mpg penalty. Or for the biggest saving  if the ambient temperature is tolerable I turn air con off and keep the windows shut.

It tends to be self balancing.  Those who only do a few thousand miles a year tend to do more short trips with a cold car,and pay an mpg penalty. However much they adjust things to save fuel on heating/air con they will only ever save a small percentage on what is an already a relatively small annual fuel usage.   Those who do a higher annual mileage will do most of their mileage with the car/engine already warmed up. 

Certainly try and save fuel where possible. Every little bit helps.  But is it worth getting too paranoid about it?     There are  bigger fuel savings to be made by driving more gently,  or , shock horror,  not using the car at all if you could walk etc.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #655 on: October 24, 2023, 11:55:21 AM »
Assuming you mean turning off the heating completely:

I don't think turning off the main heating system and relying on seat and wheel heaters alone is a good idea

How do you keep the inside glass clear on cold days when they mist up due to interior moisture

Also, it's known that not running the aircon regularly, which is part of the heating system, damages some of it's working parts

My thoughts exactly and, lets face it, if you do a very low mileage as I do then the cost of fuel becomes much less of an issue.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #656 on: October 24, 2023, 12:50:45 PM »
I hate, and will not drive, in gloves, hat, heavy coat, etc

I like to be comfy at the wheel so I wear suitable clothing to allow free movement

Modern heaters do warm up fairly quickly and my MK4 Jazz is quicker than my previous ICE cars

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #657 on: October 24, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »
To start with, our car is parked in a garage underneath our apartment, so it is never covered in snow or ice when we leave home in the winter.
Perhaps it would be useful to explain how we use the seat and steering wheel heating when it is really cold.
At the start we switch off the heating system completely, but switch on the seat and steering wheel heating. When a trip is planned over a (very) short distance (for example a shopping center), no more than a few kilometers/miles, the heating remains off (it would still be ineffective or barely effective at the "finish" anyway). However, the seat heating is effective after a very short time.
If a longer trip is planned, the start is identical, but the heating is switched on (and seat and steering wheel heating off) after some time, when the ICE has warmed up reasonably.
If the windows start to fog up, that is of course also a sign to turn on the heating. Fogging is hardly a problem for us as the car is kept in a frost-free, dry garage.

And as a born Dutchman, I also think: I paid for the seat and steering wheel heating, so I also use it, otherwise it would have been a waste of money. :P
If nothing goes right, go left!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #658 on: October 24, 2023, 02:33:24 PM »
I hate, and will not drive, in gloves, hat, heavy coat, etc

I like to be comfy at the wheel so I wear suitable clothing to allow free movement

Modern heaters do warm up fairly quickly and my MK4 Jazz is quicker than my previous ICE cars

I have worn my "big" coat in the car but I have never worn a hat or gloves. I'm a bit glove phobic - you don't get any "feel" - I don't even wear gloves when I'm gardening unless tackling prickly stuff. I will wear them in situations where I don't have to use my hands - walk - that sort of thing.

I would be no use in a polar exploration. ;D

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #659 on: November 17, 2023, 07:45:29 AM »
Latest fill info, start oftemperature in morning below10degC, next fill will show effect again.

Tags: