Author Topic: Service Plan extension  (Read 1133 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Service Plan extension
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:32:01 AM »
My Jazz is just coming up to 5 years old, and I've just booked it in for its 4th service. That's the last under the Service Plan I bought when the car was new. The dealer offered me a 2 year extension for £589, including the cost of the annual MOTs. Haven't done the sums yet to decide if it's a good deal, but I do remember doing that before buying the plan originally and deciding that it would be significantly cheaper than pay-as-you-go.

Anyone been offered anything similar or better?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Service Plan extension
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 11:46:22 AM »
Take it the MOT part is just the cost of the certificate, not any repairs that need doing?

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 12:12:06 PM »
I'm sure if you use a main dealer it will work out cheaper than pay as you go.
Independents may be cheaper.....your choice if you're thinking of keeping the car.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
I'm sure if you use a main dealer it will work out cheaper than pay as you go.
Independents may be cheaper.....your choice if you're thinking of keeping the car.
If you stay with the main dealer you can have free breakdown cover on request, which swung it for me for years 6 and 7 on my MK2.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »
The way the PAYG costs stack up seems to be as follows (using current service costs from here https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/3-years-plus.html):
1 x Honda 12+ service = £290
1 x Honda 12 service = £180
2 x MOTs @£56 = £112
Total = £582

Which is pretty near the same as the Service Plan extension cost of £589. BUT the PAYG prices are likely to increase over the next two years, plus if I stick with the main dealer I save two years worth of AA/RAC/etc subscription.

Jocko: yes, it would exclude any work arising
Derkie54: you're right about an independent probably being cheaper, but I kind of trust the local main dealer (odd thing to say, I know!) and as Downsizer says it'd cost me more on the breakdown cover. Difficult to get costs for an independent, but as a comparison it looks like Halfords would charge around £532 for the same deal using today's prices, which is cheaper but that advantage would be eliminated by the breakdown cover.

So it sounds like it's worth going for, the only downside would be loss of interest on that capital (but that's peanuts anyway).

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 10:41:42 AM »
Here's a thought: A dealer might be willing to offer a slightly higher trade-in value on a vehicle which they have serviced from new and should therefore reduce the risk of surprises when they come to resell the vehicle.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags: