Author Topic: Sat Nav woes  (Read 8860 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Sat Nav woes
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
I seem to remember that some of the TomTom Ones (there were a few different versions) developed a fault where they went deaf. Perhaps it needs your hearing aid Jocko.

The problems you face around certain areas (like Glasgow) is that you are coming around back on yourself, even on motorways. A satnav in the windscreen struggles to receive sats behind it, and so locks onto those it can see clearly, forwards. As you double back, it has to try to lock onto other satellites as it loses lock with the ones it was using. If reception is diminished, they can soon lose their marbles.

I tend to use the android version of TomTom now when I'm not in my own car, it works really well.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2019, 09:47:43 AM »
Hi Guys
Talking about the location in the car of the Satnav, you may like to consider something along the lines of the attached photo.
In my opinion it is far less obvious to the local 'perps', than having it stuck to the windscreen and from a distance looks part of the car.
I simply made up a cup shaped adaptor, topped with the normal adhesive pad, to fit in the cupholder. then the Satnav is fixed to that with the supplied suction pad.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
Looks good that. The cupholder in that position is worse than useless anyway and this is a great way of repurposing it.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2019, 11:34:26 AM »
The problems you face around certain areas (like Glasgow) is that you are coming around back on yourself, even on motorways. A satnav in the windscreen struggles to receive sats behind it, and so locks onto those it can see clearly, forwards. As you double back, it has to try to lock onto other satellites as it loses lock with the ones it was using. If reception is diminished, they can soon lose their marbles.
I was driving SW on the M80, towards Glasgow, when it went doolally and finally failed. Almost a straight road.
The problem coming back without assistance was I followed the road I had taken to the college, but to get to the Edinburgh bound M8 you have to veer off. There were no signs that I could see

guest7494

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »
I was driving SW on the M80, towards Glasgow, when it went doolally and finally failed. Almost a straight road.

Sounds like your unit has developed the intermittant reception fault.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 04:44:57 PM »
Yes, after a couple of hours I tried it and it worked. However, after a half hour or so it dropped out again. Sounds like a thermal issue. Not that it matters as it is in the bin now.
Madge got me a GARMIN Drive 51LMT-S as an early Christmas present, and I tried it out today. Works great.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11301.0;attach=5211;image

Fits onto CD adapter fits into slot and tightens up

Thanks. Just ordered one. We play the CD in the car, but if I need the sat nav I'll do without the tunes.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 05:19:10 AM »
Im originally from Greater Glasgow and return occasionally, the last couple of times I've found my 7 year old Navman satnav gets irate around Glasgow's motorways giving incorrect instructions etc, I dont use the satnav very often, so I wont pay for updates and I think, though I may be wrong, that it is purely down to the amount of changes to the motorway network there that my satnav struggles as the maps are out of date. On my last visit, last month, I had to go "Old School" and have a bust up with my other half over a road atlas.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2019, 08:24:54 AM »
One section of the M8 motorway only opened in 2017 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-40921823 so older sat navs might not be aware of it - probably need 2018 or newer mapping updates.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2019, 08:25:43 AM »
There have been big changes with the completion of the M8 replacing the A8 parts of the route. The same with the M80 and old A80 (from Castlecary down to Crow wood is so easier now). They have also completed some of the motorways on the south of the city (not that I ever use them.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2019, 11:24:08 AM »
That's the beauty of the android app, the map files are updated as soon as a new map comes out. Usually 2-3 times a year.

It's worth keeping an old phone just for this purpose, stick a 3 payg sim with the free 200mb data a month in it and you can get traffic data too. There are now a few good free nav apps which store maps offline, like TomTom, so you don't have to pay out for TT (or do anything naughty).

If you want to be really clever, you can put a dashcam app on too!  ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »
Jocko,

here is a PDF instruction manual for your new Drive 51 - enjoy....

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Drive_51_61_OM_EN.pdf

I assume you downloaded Garmin Express to update the software and maps to latest level when you got the device  ( Garmin normally advise this on the paperwork they supply )

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:22:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2019, 04:26:21 PM »
I have only had my first ever Android phone a fortnight! I had a Thick phone before that.

Had a drive over to Danderhall today so I gave the GARMIN Drive 51LMT-S a good try out. Very impressed. At least now, when I cross the Queensferry Crossing I am on a road, not flying over the Forth.
I really like the lane advisories, at motorway junctions. I synced it to my phone and it warned of queues and slow traffic. Mind you, when I went into my mother-in-law's, it shows all the new roads being built for Shawfair, but neglected to show a roundabout which has been there 12 years that I know of.

Culzean: Thanks. I downloaded both yesterday and updated everything before I stuck it in the car. Had a good read of the manual, last night and I will be in and out of it for the next few weeks, as I find the need for answers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2019, 05:49:07 PM »
If you hold your finger or thumb on the satellite bars on main screen ( top RH corner of screen ) you get another screen showing which satellites you are picking up and your altitude, location coordinates and accuracy.  if you hold bottom LH corner of screen as it is booting up you get some 'system' message on screen and can recalibrate the touch screen by chasing and pressing the dots as they appear.  Used to be able to get loads of diagnostic screens on previous Garmin models by pressing both bottom corners of screen while it was booting, but haven't figured out how to get them on Drive 51 yet...

@Jocko - Found some videos for using Garmin late model satnavs,  a lot of the stuff they don't cover very well in the manual ( or it is easier to see on a video ).. there is a sh1t load of stuff in there......

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:24:27 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2019, 12:16:39 PM »
I like my new satnav, but it has many faults as well. Apart from the erroneous maps (roundabout missing, service roads missing), the pronunciation is suspect (avenoo), and the accuracy of distances is a bit off. Also how the Garmin deals with two roundabout close together leaves a lot to be desired. The TomTom would say "At the roundabout take the second exit then at the next roundabout take the third exit". The Garmin is fine for the first roundabout, but waits until you exit that one before offering directions for the next one. Not a lot of use if you have 70 yards between roundabouts and two or more lanes to choose from.

Tags: