Author Topic: Mk2 2009 1.4 EX Honda Jazz Replacement Exhaust.  (Read 2463 times)

HONDANDY

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 1.4i 2009
Mk2 2009 1.4 EX Honda Jazz Replacement Exhaust.
« on: December 30, 2023, 12:14:50 PM »
Hi,
I have a 2009 Jazz 1.4 EX. We bought it 3 years ago with just 9000 miles on the clock. It's now done a whopping 20000+ miles. The exhaust now needs replacing. I took it to National AutoCentres (now Halfords) thinking it would be a simple task but am informed all cars now need to be checked as exhausts are no longer "standard parts" :o. It's not like the old days when you could just pop in and replace based on the car type. I believe it has to be looked at, part numbers noted from the existing exhaust and the correct one ordered.

I was told that the existing exhaust is non standard and that they would get back to me with a price and availability. Despite my calling them a number of times, they have not come back to me! It's worth noting that that prior to us an older lady owned the car and so am sure she would not have specified a non standard exhaust.

What I now find odd is that I am unable to find anywhere that will give me a price and availability, my having to book in for the car to be checked first.

Does this sound reasonable, I told National we would replace the whole system as we will be keeping the car for a long time.

I have it booked in at KwikFit :o on 2nd Jan, I assume to be told what needs replacing, but am wary of being overcharged / over sold.

My usual mechanic would have been happy to do it but the "non standard" rang alarm bells for him so wants me to buy it first at my risk.

Does this all sound plausible?

What price should I be paying for a full system replacement, fitted?

Thanks

Andy

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
Re: Mk2 2009 1.4 EX Honda Jazz Replacement Exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 01:04:33 PM »
I have just googled "mk2 jazz exhaust" and there are a lot answers.
I suggest you have a look.
Sounds odd to me that they seem to think all cars don't have standard exhausts

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 01:19:23 PM »
Hi,
I have a 2009 Jazz 1.4 EX. We bought it 3 years ago with just 9000 miles on the clock. It's now done a whopping 20000+ miles. The exhaust now needs replacing. I took it to National AutoCentres (now Halfords) thinking it would be a simple task but am informed all cars now need to be checked as exhausts are no longer "standard parts" :o. It's not like the old days when you could just pop in and replace based on the car type. I believe it has to be looked at, part numbers noted from the existing exhaust and the correct one ordered.

I was told that the existing exhaust is non standard and that they would get back to me with a price and availability. Despite my calling them a number of times, they have not come back to me! It's worth noting that that prior to us an older lady owned the car and so am sure she would not have specified a non standard exhaust.

What I now find odd is that I am unable to find anywhere that will give me a price and availability, my having to book in for the car to be checked first.

Does this sound reasonable, I told National we would replace the whole system as we will be keeping the car for a long time.

I have it booked in at KwikFit :o on 2nd Jan, I assume to be told what needs replacing, but am wary of being overcharged / over sold.

My usual mechanic would have been happy to do it but the "non standard" rang alarm bells for him so wants me to buy it first at my risk.

Does this all sound plausible?

What price should I be paying for a full system replacement, fitted?

Thanks

Andy
Be careful of KF!

Suggest you try a few independent garages for a quote

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 11:44:28 AM »
Very low mileage cars can rust their exhaust sytems rapidly from the inside out.  On short trips the rear section in particular may not get  hot enough to evaporate  the  water vapour in the exhaust gases.

If the  previous owner only did 1000 miles a year she may have had to replace the rear section.(maybe all you need now)  Its common practice for exhaust places to use  much cheaper after market replacement  parts  . So even a sweet old lady may have a non standard exhaust.

I am speculating a bit here  but a simple rear pipe and box may not always be very different between cars of a similar size, and aftermarket makers might simplify the number of different  parts they need to make and stock  by making them interchangeable to some extent. .  Eg- standard box type B  plus  bent  pipe type D  will near enough fit a Jazz, or with pipe C it will near enough  fit a Corsa ,  etc. 

All very well if they stock universal bits  at the fitting depot which they could  fettle to fit.   But the Jazz is fairly uncommon. They might need to order parts from Honda or another brand of aftermarket exhaust.  They will be unsure how easily the old pipes will separate, or whether parts they hoped to resuse might get damaged, costing extra in parts and labour. Or they may be tempted to charge you for a complete new Honda system  when its not actually necessary.     
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
Ask the people to photograph the whole of your exhaust then identify where the hole / rust is located. Show results to your local chap.
Alternatively put your details into the coxhondaparts website or give them a call in January a new honda exhaust will not only Fit but will last another 10 Yates.
If it were mine go along to your breakers yard once you know which part needs replacing a local place would help you out.
Avoid having. Fast Fit place charge you for un necessary parts
 Good luck getting your evidence.

Tags:

anything