Author Topic: Breakdown Services  (Read 2242 times)

guest9236

Breakdown Services
« on: June 08, 2023, 02:12:33 PM »
I’m not sure which is the best  to subscribe to  RAC or AA or any recommendations of
your personal  use etc
Thank you for any advice.

Beaver

• Approved Member
Re: Breakdown Services
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 02:29:56 PM »
I've been with both, but have only ever had to call on the services of the AA.  I'd say firstly, do a good comparison on their web sites for their like-for-like new member rates.  Once you've taken out cover, I'd recommend logging in to cancel your "auto renewal", or at least make sure it's not active.

When your renewal quote arrives next year, sit down before opening the envelope.  They reward your loyalty by putting up your renewal premium.  This year, my RAC had increased by about £37 from last year, with no call on their services.  The current RAC new member rate is around £63 - I was asked for nearly £250 to renew.  If you phone to query the renewal cost, they'll probably do the fake "I'll speak to a manager" routine and then offer to reduce the fee by a small amount.  This may be repeated a couple of times.

For renewal, check the other organisation for their rates and swap one to another if you're not happy with the quote/s.  You could always scare them by asking if you let your cover lapse, how long must go by before you qualify for their new member rate.  The AA told me 8 weeks. For years I simply alternated the RAC and AA from one year to the next, to get the cheapest introductory rate.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:36:54 PM by Beaver »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 03:01:37 PM »
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 03:30:53 PM »
I have been with the RAC for 44 years. I have had to call them out on 6 occasions. I always found their response times good and have no complaints.
Like car insurance, I normally phone them up when my quote for renewal comes in and have always been offered whatever AA or Green Flag would give me. One time they said they would match the AA and guaranteed me that price for a further two renewals after that.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 04:04:05 PM »
If you have your car serviced by a dealer, you can get Honda Assistance for free, which is provided by the AA. I've only had to call them once (when someone else left an interior light on). Quick and efficient.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 05:09:02 AM »
I don't want to rubbish all RAC operatives but I remember a string of reports some years ago where they were diagnosing failed batteries and offering to collect, deliver and fit new ones when the old battery didn't need changing.

They were on to an earner apparently.

https://blog.tayna.co.uk/2016/12/02/rac-caught-misdiagnosing-batteries-at-the-roadside-by-bbc-watchdog/

They lost my trust.

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 09:57:09 AM »
I don't want to rubbish all RAC operatives but I remember a string of reports some years ago where they were diagnosing failed batteries and offering to collect, deliver and fit new ones when the old battery didn't need changing.

They were on to an earner apparently.

https://blog.tayna.co.uk/2016/12/02/rac-caught-misdiagnosing-batteries-at-the-roadside-by-bbc-watchdog/

They lost my trust.
We all know that there are a few bad apples in the basket but that shouldn't affect your outlook on life.
After all what's the alternative?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 11:30:57 AM »
AA Hondacare  :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 03:05:23 PM »
I received a letter today, from the AA, offering me breakdown cover for £15, for this year.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 03:17:57 PM »
I received a letter today, from the AA, offering me breakdown cover for £15, for this year.

How much for the car  ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2023, 07:14:08 AM »
I have normally gone with roadside assistance cover provided through insurance companies. Who variousy provided it through AA, RAC or Greenflag.     Either my main insurer, or at one time i took out  an  additional small insurance policy (independent of my main insurance provider /thinly disguised insurance broker) ) that  had the sole purpose of providing  roadside recovery(through green flag IIRC) Many insurers provide additional services (windscreen cover etc) by adding  such additional mini insurance policies ,for which they take a commission. I managed to cut out the middle man.  I assume insurance based approach is cheaper because it takes advantage of a multi vehicle corporate scheme. Certainly much cheaper than RAC/RAC and green flag were charging for  individual 'membership'.     For a while I also had a similar corporate recovery cover  through my employers staff scheme.

Up until a few years ago it was also possible  for uk residents, with uk registered cars,to actually  join the german motor club  ADAC   .This provided not only free breakdown and recovery cover throughout Europe but  also within the UK.  If you needed assistance in the uk  ADAC arranged attendance by AA/RAC through the normal  reciprocal arrangments for euopean cover.
UK residents couldnt join ADAC through their normal on line joining arrangements as this needed a german address but you could join by contacting a phone number where they spoke english.     ADAC remains a club with many services for its members, unlike the RAC/AA who seem to be commercial rip offs.  I think ADAC cost half as much.

I mention ADAC  because although I think it might no longer be possible to join in this way, it might still be possible, if anyone cares to do the research. I never actually joined ADAC as I had good european cover by other means at the time.    Also there may still be independent insurance based cover available   rather than buying directly from AA/RAC/Green flag or indeed whatever roadside recovery scheme  your own insurance company /broker offers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 07:39:18 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 07:55:07 AM »
I'm with Greenflag on personal cover with full UK cover but excluding Europe

Covers me and the wife in any car as driver or passenger for £110.

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 12:44:39 PM »
Thank you to all of you for your input regarding my initial post
I have now obtained from Green Flag.
Full Recovery Plus for my vehicle
The annual cost £52.64
This is for UK only. As I do not intend to join the queues at ferry terminals etc  any more this arrangement will suit me admirably.

This post now closed

Tags:

anything