Author Topic: Fuel smell in engine oil  (Read 1544 times)

navhonda84

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz
Fuel smell in engine oil
« on: June 06, 2023, 11:22:02 PM »
Hi guys,

I just bought my 3rd jazz a couple of weeks ago. 2007 92K miles, 1.3DSi, manual.
I did a full service on the car when I bought it, i.e. oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, and sparkplugs.

the issue I am facing is the smell of fuel in the engine oil.. and the fuel consumption is very bad, although it shows around 43mpg on the dial it just doesn't seem right. When the car is on, it smells of fuel quite badly.

My old jazz did and my civic does the same, but it was better on fuel.
It feels like there is something wrong here, but I can't pinpoint what.

Am I right in saying that the Jazz doesn't have a fuel pressure regulator or is it part of the fuel pump assy? (can't seem to find it in the engine bay  :-[ )

I am hoping the piston rings are intact. Never had any issues with all the cars I have owned (all civics, accord, jazz, and CRV). Worth getting a pressure test..??

Any advice or thoughts..?

Update: Found the fuel regulatpr... its part of the fuel system assy in the tank.. :'( not an easy thing to replace by the look of things..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 12:55:51 AM by navhonda84 »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Fuel smell in engine oil
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »
All I can suggest is you get dirty and check the fuel lines for possible leaks. It depends on where and how you drive but 43 mpg doesn't sound like you have a major leak.
I would have a look at the air filter element (if you haven't already) and try a short journey with the fuel filler cap off. It may be the vent pipe that is blocked/crimped.

FBogdan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GD CVT x 2, FR-V 1.8 i-vtec automatic Executive
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 08:32:25 PM »
I believe the injector o-rings are the cheapest and fastest way to try resolving the problem.
Even brand new injectors are cheap enough if you want to make a full replacement.
Leave the car to stay for 3-4 days without starting the engine and make the following test to see how bad is the problem.
Ask your wife to start the engine while you look at the rear exhaust. If in the first 10-15 seconds after engine start you will see a dense white or light blue smoke, than the issue is pretty bad and it will need attention fast.

navhonda84

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 10:05:40 PM »
All I can suggest is you get dirty and check the fuel lines for possible leaks. It depends on where and how you drive but 43 mpg doesn't sound like you have a major leak.
I would have a look at the air filter element (if you haven't already) and try a short journey with the fuel filler cap off. It may be the vent pipe that is blocked/crimped.

does the vent go back into the tank? No:13, No:17 seems to be vent pipes... and No:18.

13 and 17 seems to connected back into the tank, on the fuel strainer assy. 

navhonda84

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 10:08:18 PM »
I believe the injector o-rings are the cheapest and fastest way to try resolving the problem.
Even brand new injectors are cheap enough if you want to make a full replacement.
Leave the car to stay for 3-4 days without starting the engine and make the following test to see how bad is the problem.
Ask your wife to start the engine while you look at the rear exhaust. If in the first 10-15 seconds after engine start you will see a dense white or light blue smoke, than the issue is pretty bad and it will need attention fast.

I will check with the smoke.. but i am pretty sure there is no white or blue smoke when i start it.. but i will check it again...

So should I hold off on replacing the fuel regulator..??

Do you know where i could these injector o-rings from... I had look on eBay and lots of them for civic, crv etc.. but none for jazz.. or is it an OEM part?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:27:08 PM by navhonda84 »

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 07:19:57 AM »
Right . yes there will be a fuel regulator most likely on the fuel rail. old engine oil often will have a smell of petrol in it. change the oil and filter and just check it in a few weeks to see if that smell is consistant

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 11:36:48 AM »

navhonda84

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 10:05:59 AM »
According to this https://www.parts-honda.uk/honda-cars/JAZZ/2008/14-ES/ENGINE/INTAKE-MANIFOLD-2-/17SAA801/E__0301/1/22302 the o-ring is nor available!

I think that is because 20 and 21 come as a set.. not sure though

navhonda84

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 10:07:00 AM »
Right . yes there will be a fuel regulator most likely on the fuel rail. old engine oil often will have a smell of petrol in it. change the oil and filter and just check it in a few weeks to see if that smell is consistant

Did a full service (oil, air, oil, pollen filter, and spark plugs) when i bought it.. since done probably less than 100 miles.. and the oil already smells of petrol....

Are you saying the fuel rail will have a fuel regulator inbuilt? there is no sperate fuel reg in the engine bay... atleast i cant see any.. i had a look at the parts pic and it says its in the fuel tank..
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:10:10 AM by navhonda84 »

navhonda84

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 10:11:36 AM »

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2023, 01:04:59 PM »
i Doupt it would be a Regulator problem anyway as that would effect the running and consumption.
i cant see how any excess fuel can get into the oil unless one had a burnt out piston which clearly is not the case .

Tags:

anything