Author Topic: How to turn off security alarm?  (Read 2862 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
How to turn off security alarm?
« on: June 04, 2023, 07:55:57 AM »
Last night the security alarm on our car was going off for no apparent reason. All doors, windows, bonnet etc checked closed, car was relocked and no further issues ... so far. Obviously I don't want this to happen again so I'm looking for a way to disable the alarm. The handbook doesn't give any clues (apart from leaving the car unlocked, which I don't want to do as it's on a public road). Any ideas gratefully received.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: How to turn off security alarm?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 10:18:15 AM »
The handbook does say that the alarm can go off if the cars main battery goes flat.  It may be worth checking its healthy and not giving some fluctuating outputs.    Maybe also change the battery in the key in case the system is getting interrupted signals when setting.

I dont know of any easy way to disable the alarm long term . Not sure its a good idea.  Your Insurers would probably object anyway.

I am assuming its just the standard system and it hasnt been extended in any way  by adding movement/shock  sensors  that respond to a window being   smashed, and can activate in high winds or ,heavy rain or if someone bangs against the car.  These are notorious for false alarms.  And it was not unknown in the past  for miscreants to repeatedly provoke  your alarm to activate, either as a prank,  or until you finally despair and leave it off, whereupon they could break into the car.  But this was back in the days where false alarms were so common that starlings included them in their bird song repertoire and people largely ignored an activation.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 10:21:53 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »
The handbook actually says:

"If the battery goes dead after you have set the security system alarm, the security alarm may go off once the battery is recharged or replaced.  If this occurs, deactivate the security system alarm by unlocking a door using the remote transmitter or keyless access system."

I'm not sure you can disable the alarm but if you find a way then do consider that your insurance is probably taking into account that you have a factory fitted alarm.  You may not be covered.

ColinB

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 03:35:21 PM »
I wasn't thinking of permanently disabling it (although that's very tempting given that no-one pays any attention to car alarms these days). Merely some way of stopping false activations until I can get someone to look at it. That's going to be the other side of a forthcoming holiday absence, during which the car will be parked unattended on the street, and potentially infuriating the neighbours until the battery goes dead.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 08:15:32 PM »
I recall that my Mk 2 HR-V had an ultrasonic alarm which would detect any movement inside the vehicle when it was locked such as when the dashcam came unstuck from the windscreen. However, I thought that the Mk 3 Jazz only has a perimeter alarm.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 06:59:39 PM »
Do not leave the car unlocked, especially when parked on the road. Some years ago I was changing the driver's door lock mechanisms (on a BMW convertible) parked on my drive right next to the front door. It was winter and very dark when I reached the point that I had fitted the new mechanism but was too dark to finish the job so I left the door fully close, but unlocked, and thought the car would be safe with the the car half-cover fitted over the roof and windows.

The next morning my son went out to go to work and came back in to say that the car door was not fully shut,  with the cover inside the driver's door window, the glove box and the small coin tray both open with the contents spread over the front seats although all the loose change for parking was gone.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 04:22:43 PM »
I too would like an answer! I guess my  '67 plate Mk3 Jazz was one of the chorus of vehicles on the Plymouth - Roscoff Ferry serenading passengers the other week!!! Brittany Ferries do ask for "Alarms Off"
My solution might be > unlatch bonnet > manually lock doors > remove Negative lead from battery > close bonnet.
I'm sure cars behind will wonder what I'm up to when we arrive at destination.

Think best to try routine at home; with driver door window open, first.

Come on Honda - Give us a clue

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 04:47:51 PM »
Not sure about a Jazz but Civics have their own alarm batteries.
Let's be careful out there !

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 05:07:10 PM »
Not sure about this, but is it possible to lock the car using the key and then leave the buttons unarmed?

Or maybe not, as when you touch the door handle the car locks anyway and is alarmed.
Just a thought. Looks like i've answered my own question ;D ;D

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 01:49:25 PM »
We had a CRV with this issue which, when I read up on it could be due to the siren battery needing replacement causing excessive drain of the main battery or possibly a faulty door latch. Possibly the engine bay battery maybe losing capacity.

I put in a new battery (engine start battery) as was 9 years old but the issue persisted.

When it did alarm, the indicators didn't flash which made identifying it to our car difficult due to the location of the siren obscuring the direction.

If the car alarm was activated normally, as in locking with the remote but opening the door with a key would cause the indicators to flash constantly. This happened when my wife drove the car home when the fob battery had died during her shift.

I suspect that it probably was the siren battery and us not driving far to work causing main battery depletion. Should have tried one of the trickle chargers with detachable leads.

What's the battery's age and what type of driving do you regards to the potential poor condition of it?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 01:55:32 PM by Toptek »

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2023, 06:45:34 PM »
Brittany Ferries will be pleased to know that the alarm on my 67 plate Jazz can be turned off by battery neg connection being removed (as above).

Tested today, did keep the fob well away (~ 2m) from Jazz having previously removed the key from the fob.
Just got to keep 10mm spanner handy and wrap fob in 4 layers of aluminum foil.

Surprise, surprise!! - the b****y Auto Idle Stop worked (once) when I went for a drive later - first time in 2023. Now keeping fingers x'd

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 12:08:08 PM »
... I guess my  '67 plate Mk3 Jazz was one of the chorus of vehicles on the Plymouth - Roscoff Ferry serenading passengers the other week!!! ......

Thinking of this scenario I have been trying to understand exactly the security alarm system on my 2018 Jazz.

Can others please confirm or correct me in my understanding.

As I understand it, the standard system is purely an entry alarm. It sets when you lock the car using the key fob remote. It will activate if a door/hatch/bonnet is opened if the key or remote has not been used to unlock the car.
It is not a motion sensor system, it won't go off on a ferry due to movement.

Am I right in this??

Tags:

anything