Author Topic: Insurance Renewal - having a laugh  (Read 6511 times)

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
Insurance Renewal - having a laugh
« on: June 01, 2023, 10:49:24 AM »
I have been with Direct Line ten plus years. Max No Claims, No accidents.

Last year, one year old Crosstar £385

This year, two year old Crosstar £574

The only change is I am one year older. I expected a 10% inflationary hike but this is ridiculous. Any suggestions welcome!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Insurance Renewal - having a laugh
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »
I had the same issue with DL some years ago. Every year I had to ring them and negotiate.

I got fed up playing poker with them so I switched to LV who were considerably cheaper than my previous DL 'bargain'

I lived in a medium/high risk area when I renewed in April @ £450
When I informed LV of my recent move to a medium/low area they refunded me £216  :D
Let's be careful out there !

GGT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 11:30:56 AM »
I had the same back in March. £300 to £400 hike. No accidents or claims in the last 5 years. 3 year old Mk 3. Can't remember who I was with as I change insurers most years. Shopped around but everything came out at about the £400 mark. Ended up with Santander (didn't know they did car insurance) at £500, but that included my provisional licence holding GF as a named driver.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 11:34:12 AM »
It’s a minefield out there. Saw an advert connected to Age UK regarding insurance through LV, so thought I would ask for a quote, given that I’m the wrong side of 80.
The quote came in at circa £1825 or thereabouts, which was over £1000 more than I’m paying now.

Now that’s having a laugh. :o :o
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 12:25:44 PM by Kenneve »

Saycol

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 11:48:47 AM »
Thanks to those who have replied. Have just done a quick online quote with Aviva and it came out higher than Direct Line!

So what’s causing the 50% year on year price hike? Is it a Honda thing (parts availability/prices)? Jazz/Crosstar involved in lots of claims?

As per original post only change is I am one year older (and the car is too, of course)!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
NFU change this year was +18% £325 to £385 with a 'savings' of £54, max NCD.

Previuosly Zurich but stopped after increases did not make sense.

PaultheManc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz Hybrid SR
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 01:35:59 PM »
Just had my renewal from LV - gone from £283 to £413, 10K miles, £250 voluntary excess.  Only major change is that I have turned 70.  Looked around, and LV still seems to be cheapest. :(

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 02:19:47 PM »
Give DL a call and ask if they have your correct details, then tell them you have a better quote....

corbett

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz hybrid
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 02:54:35 PM »
My insurance last year for new Honda Jazz ex was £336, renewal just over a month ago was £610, only change was my age 67 to 68.
I queried this with the company, could not give me any reasonable explanation for the increase. Only offered 10%off, so told them to forget it and went elsewhere
Now obtained same cover for ,£296
Moral is shop around, it's definitely worth it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2023, 03:01:31 PM »
As I've posted before, if you go price comparison, read the small print very carefully.

One young driver was unaware he wasn't covered to drive at night. Hidden in small print.
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 05:30:20 PM »
The quote came in at circa £1825 or thereabouts, which was over £1000 more than I’m paying now.

Just a question, how many miles do you think you will drive in the next year? What will you pay for insurance per mile? Or how many miles can you drive for £1?
Maybe ask LV if they really think that's a fair price?
If nothing goes right, go left!

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 05:44:59 PM »
Unfortunately is not just the Jazz that's experiencing a significant increase in insurance premiums. The increases are being reported across many makes and models by people of  all ages and driving experience.
The typical response from the insurance company is prices have to go up due to the significant increase in the cost or parts and repairs.
I was just shopping around for quotes on a replacement for my second car and prices varied as much as £500 for the same cover. Several companies refusing to quote.
Not sure where it will end as we as the drivers, must have insurance and even as a collective, have no real way to put pressure on insurance companies. They can simply continue to quote higher and higher prices and nothing we can do other than shop around. 

tfw7

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 72 Jazz SR
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 07:28:30 PM »
I  was pleasantly surprised when switching from an 11yo car to my new Jazz this year that the renewal quote seemed fairly decent at an increase of only £100 (Admiral). Did a quick look on comparison sites, but my quote was lower than most insurers I'd heard of.
Removed my 80yo mother from the named drivers and that saved best part of £100 as well!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 07:44:27 PM »

Just a question, how many miles do you think you will drive in the next year? What will you pay for insurance per mile? Or how many miles can you drive for £1?
Maybe ask LV if they really think that's a fair price?

The quote was requested, thinking that Age UK deal with old people and the link to LV should reflect that.

I paid £687 last March with NFU - Age 86, clean licence, no accidents, max no-claim bonus, 9000 miles per year, plus my Daughter & Son-in-law (also clean licence etc).

So, the LV quote gives a cost per miles of 20.2P, which is more that twice the cost of fuel to power the b----y car. :o

I still say they are having a laugh and it seems, as you get older, the laugh gets louder. ;D ;D

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 08:49:07 PM »
I still say they are having a laugh and it seems, as you get older, the gets louder. ;D ;D.

Yes... and the laugh will get louder and louder, because they think you should be using a hearing aid.
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags:

anything