Author Topic: Cigarette lighter help  (Read 1175 times)

jaxabin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk1 2005
Cigarette lighter help
« on: May 27, 2023, 08:13:23 PM »
Hi

I have a cigarette lighter that works, but my bluetooth to FM transmitter needs to be pressed down a bit at first for it to work. Once it gets power it usually stays powered. Is there anything I can do to make sure it stays powered everytime I turn on my car and not have to push it in slightly each time?

Should I replace the socket or is there anything easier I could do? It's my first car so I would probably just get it done at a garage or something, but I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I'd rather avoid if possible if theres something else I can do

Thanks!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Re: Cigarette lighter help
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 08:25:46 PM »
It's not unusual for 3rd party adapters not to fit well as they mostly come from Far Eastern suppliers offering cheap, low quality items.

The dimensions can vary with long or short centre pins sometimes not quite reaching the contacts.

Another option is fitting a Bluetooth adapter to the rear of the radio unit, these are readily available from the likes of AliExpress, often described as Acura Bluetooth adapters normally with a green multiplug. The disadvantage is you have to access the rear of the radio which can be a daunting task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 05:56:18 PM »
As UKjim says its not unusual for adapters to be temperamental  about making a good electric connection.  Changing the socket fitted to the car probably wont help.

You could try using a cigarette lighter splitter that plugs into the car socket, to give 2 or more outlets.   If you are lucky you may find  the splitter is a good fit into the car socket, and the bluetooth adapter is a good fit into the splitter.  Or you might just have twice the chance of a bad connection. >:(   If it works you will also have a spare socket, and even if it doesnt work for this blueooth adapter you might find it useful for other devices in the  future.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

jaxabin

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk1 2005
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 03:07:31 PM »
I managed to sort it out, I was forcing it in by holding the side ones and then pushing it in but I took it out and just put it in an angle where it goes in by itself and I don't have the issue anymore!

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 05:09:39 PM »
Good result, no expense!

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2023, 07:17:00 AM »
great result. Sometimes there is a knack. 

That said it may not be long before you want a second, or third , socket for charging phones  ,running sat nav, dash cam and stuff like that.  ;)

As I have mentioned multi socket splitters just a word of warning. Blue tooth, phone charger, sat nav etc  dont draw many amps and you can probably run 2 or 3 of these from one socket without problem.

But you shouldnt use a splitter at all for accessories that draw a lot of amps such as a tyre compressor pumps ,fan assisted piezo  cool boxes etc.   The car socket used alone  will probably supply enough amps to run one of these but not two at the same time. Also  very cheaply made splitters may have a maximum amp capacity below what just one accessory, or combination of accessories might draw  and may overheat or melt . Or blow its fuse - Where the accessory, or the splitter itself  has a plug on a long wire there is usually a fuse inside the plug.  You can unscrew the plug to check the fuse.The fuse is replaceable but you should think twice about doing so if it has  blown due to overloading.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: