Author Topic: What is a good/best sticker remover solution?  (Read 3348 times)

wattaman

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Se I-Mmd Cvt
What is a good/best sticker remover solution?
« on: March 07, 2022, 06:13:30 PM »
The main problem is that the dealer placed their ad sticker on the rear window, but on the inside. So I cannot do any of the diy stuff I've found on Youtube, like using alcohol and a blade to scratch it because I will probably damage the defrost wiring on the window.
I'm hoping anyone knows a product that can dissolve the glue when applied to the sticker itself, and this will magically fall :) I didn't have much luck googling.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: What is a good/best sticker remover solution?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 06:35:55 PM »
In the past I've removed these free ads whilst they were freshly applied with hairdryer, gentle heat across length, select corner to pull sticker away at an angle, further application of warm air, maintain steady pulling at angle. Helps if weather was warmer.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 07:08:33 PM »
I have had this problem almost every time I get a new car and this is what I do.  Peel off the sticker, the sooner you do this after it has been applied the better, I have never had the heater element come off. Put some car polish on a soft cloth and rub it over any adhesive that has remained on the glass and it should eventually dissolve.  When any remaining polish residue has dried remove with a soft dry cloth.  It works for me.

wattaman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Se I-Mmd Cvt
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 01:53:42 PM »
Unfortunately scratching is outbof the question. The ********** took their time to align the sides of the sticker with the window heater lines, so I can't even peel one corner to start with

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 02:34:40 PM »
I'd be trying a hairdryer to get started.

Then a rag with meths or white spirit and go slow as the meths melts the adhesive.
Let's be careful out there !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 02:59:25 PM »
Hairdryer, then remove any adhesive left behind with Naptha (cigarette lighter fluid). I have used it for cleaning delicate guitars and it removes dirt, oil, adhesive, without damaging the most delicate finishes.

Blue Sky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Honda Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 08:55:00 PM »
I shifted one of them today, to find to my complete surprise it was rather easy, for me to go out there with a pot of J&J baby shampoo,paint brush and razor blade. Mind my offending sticker had only been there about three weeks and I guess the lack of sun combined with tinted windows prevented the sticker glue from curing.

But if I were confronted with a sticker that traversed heater element tracks, not only would I think poorly of the dealer I'd  with a scalpel gently cut the sticker close to the heater element to remove the bulk of the sticker before hooking up the  corners of whats left to feed liquid soap into those corners whilst GENTLY peeling.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 08:21:45 AM »
Just like labels on parcels,  the earlier you remove them the better, the longer they remain in place the better they stick. The sun will bake window labels in place until many years later the sun destroys the plastic and the labels crack and peel themselves off.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 09:39:06 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 10:35:22 AM »
I'd be insisting that the dealer remove the blasted thing. Maybe then they'd get the message that doing that is a bad idea. If they damaged the glass or heating element I'd be insisting they deal with it.
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 12:08:29 PM »
WD 40 is a very good solvent for removing stickers/ glue residue. Its not, as you might imagine, oily.   But research it first for your  surface, and its at your own risk   :-[     

Glue  residue from the vignette stickers that were once common on the continent is formulated to come off  with soapy water . You could try that first.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Danoh

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2023, 02:40:46 PM »
Anyone been successful with a 20 year old rear window sticker?
I've had the car from new and the sticker is looking really tired now.
Jazz Crosstar MY23 - Shining Grey Metallic NH880M

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2023, 02:48:55 PM »
That'll be a slow job, start in a corner with a fingernail and a rag on another finger dipped in meths and slowly does it.

Especially over any heater wires.

No heater wires a paint scraper will help (Stanley blade in plastic holder type) as long as it's glass and not plastic
Let's be careful out there !

fashionphotography

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 07:51:43 AM »
most auto parts shops sell aerosol brake cleaner . thats the best solvent to use . in no way use a scraper unless its like a plastic bodyfiller spreader. as its getting warmer weather it should peel away on a hot day . then clean any left over glue film with the brake cleaner

Tags:

anything