Author Topic: Windscreen cowl/scuttle panel?  (Read 7897 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Windscreen cowl/scuttle panel?
« on: May 23, 2023, 05:50:45 PM »
Hi Guys, Well hope we're enjoying the weather now that it is here! partly reason why I was out cleaning parts of the trim/plastics and found the smaller piece of the cowl/scuttle panel 'sticks up'!

If you're stood in front of car, steer wheel on left as you look at car, and leaning forward on bonnet looking at the scuttle panel, there is larger single piece below the wipers, under passenger side, then there is smaller piece under the drivers wiper.

As this smaller piece looks like it can be removed, the left hand side of this 6 inch piece is slightly protruding and sticks up maybe 1 cm (doesn't sound like much, but when your cleaning, rubbing over with cloth, you can feel it) and is noticeable. I have tried pushing down on it, not too heavily to see if it would click back into place, and therefore level/even, but it won't go.

I almost went as far as almost pulling the whole piece out, but didn't want to try force, or take whole piece out in case I couldn't replace it. It looks like it should just slot back in place. I know that there are 2 'flaps' at the back of this piece that need pushing in before it will go back and managed to push these is and press it back to where it was, but it is still sticking out and not level with rest of scuttle.

I have searched everywhere for video to remove/replace this piece but can only find max 5 videos on youtube, and even then thay are not for jazz, 1 is for civic but not show what I am after.
I don't even know what this piece is or the reason why it looks like it can be removed without having to remove the whole of the scuttle panel from all way across the bottom of the windscreen.

Can anybody point me to a video for this part, or maybe give detailed instructions as to how to replace this properly so it lies flat and even with rest of scuttle panel.
Many thanks as ever for any points of wisdom and replies.

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
Re: Windscreen cowl/scuttle panel?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 06:06:27 PM »
Can you post a few pics to help us understand what piece you're talking about..?

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 06:21:45 PM »
Hi Phil, never even attempted to do pics before.
If you imagine looking at bolts of the wipers, it is the piece directly under them!

(have found this, a copy of image, but this is of a left hand drive car, obviously. If the copy image works, it is this piece but on the left hand side of car.)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/2992448696_4d939d5f67_b.jpg

The image, if it doesn't work, is as per another topic on this forum and we're told to 'go to 'DIY lower your GE8 Fit' on Google. Plough through the suspension bit and there all is explained with several pictures.

This other post is to do with the complete removal of the scuttle panel/cowl but doesn't explain part of the scuttle that I am referring to. I really hope this helps, and thank you again for assisting.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 06:46:13 PM »
http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html
See under Body - Exterior - Trim - Cowl cover replacement.
Maybe this will help.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 12:52:35 PM »
Hi Jocko, Yes, came across that ālso, but doesn't show part of scuttle panel that I am referring to. Also, images are nitvtge clearest. Cheers, anyway.

I need to know if I pull this 6 inch piece part of scuttle out, will I be able to easily replace, having it fit properly and even with rest of panel.

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 08:07:13 PM »

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 10:26:37 AM »
Wow! Yes it definitely helps, ianhj. Where did you find that?
Cert helps that I can see just pulls off/out and therefore must be simple replace and that looks can be done single handed. Pity video shows replacing done above where video records.

Do, so grateful for that. Need to find out know why mine not appear to be fitting properly and cause of it not sitting flush.

Again, many thanks.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 10:42:54 AM »
Hi Again,  Ian, just to add to last post, would appear mine slightly different 2013 jazz.

The part on my scuttle looks like a 'slide and push' not straight pull out push in. Cannot be that much difference but wondering what us causing mine to stick up on left bit of piece featured 🤔

Have to take another look and have guts to pull out and then replace...gulp!

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 11:09:52 AM »
Yes, sorry should have said ours is a 2010 car.

Only other suggestion is have a look on ebay for the second hand part. You might be able to work out what to do/how it should look from the various photos sellers put up.

Good luck

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 12:03:45 PM »
Ian, Do not apologise. It was over and above for you to have videoed as you did (World needs more people like you).

Mine looks like a slide and push. But again some reason why nit flush. Could be something underneath causing it to protrude on left side - right side of part is slide in. Or there could be a clip missing, unknown at this stage. Doesn't help with lack of info or video on Web. May need new part of scuttle but can't find part no ir description of this exact piece but will try again now we know what it's exact function is!

Finally, why honda had to change from your easier 2010 scuttle to 3 years forward, I don't know 😕

jazzphil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz GE
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2023, 04:59:00 PM »
OP try this beginning at 3:33.  I think it shows the piece you are referring to being removed...

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 08:39:51 PM »
When the air filter  dropped out of the vacuum cleaner   my wife spent ages trying to put it back in - upside down.  I helped then  - fitting the filter,not by  doing the vacuuming.
My point is that the cover would not clip on because the filter was not seated properly.  Not a problem with the cover. So maybe double check thats its not another misplaced  component thats preventing the scuttle seating.    Also I find with large plastic covers, especially box shaped ones  that they sometimes distort when removed.  Sometimes  to get them to seat properly, with joints and fixing lugs aligned, you have to distort their shape slightly again to get things  to slot into place.    Also check if maybe a lug has broken off, possibly cleanly. 

A bit of time thinking can save a lot of frustration.  Speak nicely to it, call it Fred.  (Fred Scuttle - Benny Hill.  )        If all else fails use Gaffer tape and go down the pub.  Maybe  try again after a few beers?   ;D

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 06:47:04 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
Jazz0hil and volty, Thank you so much for these and again for your time taken. Jazzphil, yes that us the piece I refer and wish it was that same fitting style. Mine, 2013, is a slide in to the right and then press down (I think) where 1 in vid is straight forward push or pull. As earlier member video maybe different due to 2010 jazz used in video and honda decided to change fitting design?!?!?!
Not yet looked specifically as experimenting with chipex touch up whilst weather allowing - cannot get drying time correct when to use blending solution to take blob level and blend wuth surrounding paint. Blob has come out twice, then left it for an hour+ to dry, then tried gently wetsanding to level blob, but thus did level but it darkened the blob...Arrrgghhh! So tried on 3 tiny chips together and left to harden until today to wetsand and will see if any difference.
Whilst here anybody used chipex ir any posts giving tips on using this method that you'd recommend?
Know I ask alot but trying to get done what I can before I get imminent date fir total hop replacement. As always forever grateful to all replies and advice. Enjoy 3 say weekend, all.

Mr Onion

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 23 Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Advance in Crystal Black
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 04:39:15 PM »
Whilst here anybody used chipex ir any posts giving tips on using this method that you'd recommend?

see my posts HERE

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 02:57:34 PM »
OK, so after soending few full afternoons over past few weeks trying with Chipex to deal with rusty stone chips, made few enquiries on how much partial respray of bo net cost.
Found superb firm down road, owner examined bonnet and advised respray to within couple inches of edge of bonnet.
He will prep, primer whole area, paint to within 2 inches, lacquer to edges to blend in with edge of bonnet and side wings.
Due to jazz having smaller bonnetvtgan most, quoted Ģ160.00. I said book me in there and then. He is fully booked until mid August and is nearest could book me in.
They have purpose built premises, steel fenced & were half dozen cars waiting for work, and 4 that I could see being worked on. They have full paint booth with all gadgets.
Couldn't believe price. He said normally they would paint fully, bonnet and blend into side wings but here, pulling it in a little, still getting rid and repainting so all chips and defects covered. Impossible to say no. And yep, plenty of reviews and in business for 20+ yrs. Glad I found as other quote for bonnet respray was Ģ450 + vat!!!

Tags:

anything