Author Topic: Long term storage of Jazz Crosstar  (Read 6179 times)

Nostromo

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: None at present
Long term storage of Jazz Crosstar
« on: July 23, 2024, 06:43:43 AM »
Our 20 year-old Subaru Outback has reached a stage where maintenance with MOT requirements has become too expensive. Therefore, we decided to pass it on in a few months and buy a brand new car, opting for a self-charging hybrid type. After detailed reserach, bth my wife and I agreed to opt for the Honda Jazz Crosstar Advance which perfectly suits all our requirements but I discovered that it misses out on our most crucial issue.

We tend to spend 6-months of the year, usually from mid-October to mid-April, at our second home in Bangalore, India. During that time, our old car used to go into a local professional Car Storage facility where they kept the 12V battery tuned-up on a trickle charge with a C-Tek device. After several inquiries including in the Honda UK forums, we learned that it will not stop the smaller lithium-ion hybrid battery from discharging and eventually dying. Honda UK confirmed that idling the engine for 30 minutes every week or so will not help either because the hybrid battery charges only while driven, something that the staff at the storage facility are not willing to do because of insurance issues.

So, it looks like our plan to buy a Crosstar have been scuppered at the outset  :(. Will I be better off with a plug-in hybrid or even an all-Electric car?

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
Re: Long term storage of Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2024, 08:01:58 AM »
I think the hybrid battery would not mind resting for 6 months as long as it isn’t nearly drained before storing it.
Trickle charging the 12V battery is a good idea, since that battery is quite small and will probably not last longer than a month.
Officially Honda states that you should drive the car for at least half an hour every 3 months. This is meant to keep the hybrid battery charged enough. It will not drain too much, since it is fully disconnected when parking the car.

I think buying another hybrid or plug-in hybrid will not solve the issue. Also these experience similar problems when not using it for longer.

The Crosstar is a very good car. If you can store it while charging the 12V battery and maybe you can find someone who can drive it halfway during that period (or just start it and let it idle for 15 minutes) you should be just fine!

BTW: if you start the Crosstar and keep it in P, pressing the accelerator will let the engine come on and charge the hybrid battery.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 08:03:56 AM by Marco1979 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2024, 09:03:50 AM »
If possible, if parked in a garage, put a connected CTEK charger on a smart plug to give a 4 hour boost every week

The 12v battery is the weakest link

For 6 months I'd be looking at either axle stands or pumping up the tyres to prevent flat spotting

Let's be careful out there !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 05:01:04 PM »
+1 for the CTEK trickle charge better still ring or email CTek and ask their people about your requirements
 I've found them most helpful
 I took own Subaru and owned several Outbacks over the years.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 06:29:38 PM »
Rather than buying a new car and  having to sort out,and pay for , long term storage, battery charging and other maintenance precautions   it might be worth  investigating  whether its feasible to  rent or lease the car for 6 months, and simply hand the car back when you go to India.  When you come back, you lease  a brand new replacement car.      I dont know the economics of this but  there could be hidden savings such as not having to pay for storage,  or needing to get an annual service, annual car insurance,   losing a full years depreciation for 6 months use, and not having to finance the full purchase price of the car.      Honda, or the leasing company  might offer quite a good deal  for this,  as they might want  a supply of 6 month old low mileage cars to sell on the forecourt. 
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Nostromo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: None at present
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 06:59:13 PM »
So far I have been leaving my car at a professional car storage facility where they use the C-Tek device to maintain a trickle charge of the 12V battery.

What concerned me was that staff at Honda UK and local dealers were very evasive and ambiguous for a long time about the storage question of a Crosstar before admitting that it was not such a good idea. The technician at the dealer was insistent that simply idling the engine would NOT help the lithium-ion battery as it needed to be driven.

Meanwhile, I spoke to another car storage facility which is about a 2-hour drive from where we live. He seems more confident than my regular storge place about storing a hybrid as he's done it 4 times before without issues. He also would not drive it on a public road but said that he could drive it for 10 to 15 minutes within the perimeter of the facility itself.

Rather than buying a new car and  having to sort out,and pay for , long term storage, battery charging and other maintenance precautions   it might be worth  investigating  whether its feasible to  rent or lease the car for 6 months, and simply hand the car back when you go to India. 

Thanks for that post; my wife also asked me to check about rental but it is not going to be cost-effective. But lease in something that we had not thought of before and worth checking. I'll do that, thanks.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2024, 08:59:08 AM »
My mk4 has a warning sticker under the bonnet regarding the Li-ion battery. It says in multiple languages   " To maintain adequate charge level drive the vehicle for more than 30 minutes at least once every 3 months."

I think this is actually an oversimplification. As others have pointed out  if you keep the small 12v lead acid battery charged with a CTEK  ,the High voltage  battery will probably maintain a charge for much longer than 3 months, and would in any case  recharge  if you allow  the engine start and recharge the Li-ion battery  with the engine idling  , or a brief drive around the storage yard . Everything looks fine to the owner , and indeed the li -ion battery may remain serviceable for many more years.    But as the Honda tech probably realises the real reason for the 30 minute drive is that a Li-ion battery  can deteriorate unless it occasionally runs through some rapid discharge and  recharge cycles as in normal driving.   Just topping it up may not be enough.    I dont know  but this may also  apply to the LI-ion batteries found in  plug in hybrids, and full EV's from other manufacturers.   Except they would be even more expensive if its necessary to replace them prematurely.      If the  very expensive Li-ion battery ever needed to be replaced under warranty I think  Honda can read the  ECU and can tell if the battery did not receive a 3 monthly drive and would refuse the claim.    Probably true of other car makers. 

I may be over thinking this  but  you could also run into problems  with the warranty    terms and conditions  .  This requires a service  to be done  at 12500 miles or every 12 months , whichever comes first. And only allows the 12 months period be 30 days  early or late.  I think if you apply in writing ,in advance, to Hondas warranty administrators  (an independent company)  they may allow a variation on the 12 month rule  (,as long as you dont forget.)    Again this is something you may need to check  even if you chose another make of car or  plug in/EV. 

IIRC the salesman  briefly mentioned the 3 month  requirement, or it might have been  on a 'handover video' a dealership put on you tube.  It was dismissed as highly unlikely to affect anyone.  Maybe not a young working person in a suit.  But pensioners  may spend winters in the sun or be affected by unexpected periods of illness.

The other storage facility may consider it sufficient to have successfully handed back Hybrids that can be driven away and the owners may never know if the life of the battery has been compromised.     No offence to them   but with an increasing number of hybrids, and EV's   you could perhaps suggest to them that  it may help their business if they can advertise a special service  that  affected cars WILL  receive the  30 minute drive,  Even if it means they have to call in a  driver from a  local garage  with suitable insurance and 'trade plates'. 
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2024, 09:21:19 PM »
Just taking a very outside view, how many miles/year do you cover?

The idea of a lease car may be much more economical.

Indeed is an owned car really required?

Tags: