Author Topic: Aircon help  (Read 3023 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Aircon help
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2023, 11:28:27 AM »
Great result.

yasir152

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2023, 10:54:57 AM »
I might go for the ATS offer. An issue I have on my MK1 is that when I turn on aircon, I don't hear the compressor or fans kick-in. I heard when gas is very low it doesn't turn on is this true?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2023, 10:55:35 AM »
I might go for the ATS offer. An issue I have on my MK1 is that when I turn on aircon, I don't hear the compressor or fans kick-in. I heard when gas is very low it doesn't turn on is this true?
It is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yasir152

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2023, 12:13:03 PM »
thanks for confirming @ukjim

jaxabin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Mk1 2005
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2023, 03:09:20 PM »
I've also had an issue. I went to halford and did the free AC test and it looks like there is a leak. So what should I do about it? The car wasn't used too much for a year or two before I bought it. Is it worth fixing? Do I just go to a mechanic and ask them? Does a consultation cost money or only if they fix it?

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2023, 03:14:04 PM »
Most likely the condenser which will have probably disintegrated over time. New ones can be had from eBay for about £60, about 1.5 to 2 hours for fixing and then a regas.

jaxabin

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2023, 03:26:04 PM »
Most likely the condenser which will have probably disintegrated over time. New ones can be had from eBay for about £60, about 1.5 to 2 hours for fixing and then a regas.

Thanks that sounds reasonable, if I take it to a garage will they charge for diagnosing too? I've never visited the mechanic yet so not sure how the process works to be honest

yasir152

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2023, 05:08:01 PM »
thanks for confirming @ukjim
Got mine re-gassed today thanks

jaxabin

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2023, 03:05:15 PM »
I got it looked at, the condenser was indeed leaking, but there's also a hole in the low pressure pipe. They said they can't source this part? Is there any where I can find this part?

ados_cz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2008 mk1 1.4i dsi CVT
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2023, 01:37:56 AM »

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2023, 08:17:04 AM »
Just had this done on my crosstar under warranty. Glad I didn't have to pay for it.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2023, 03:28:14 PM »

I went through this a few years ago. The key thing is to leave the Aircon on throughout the year. Keeps the seals moist which helps prevent any gas leakage. Yes, it will reduce the MPG but worth it when you consider the cost and hassle of repairing/regassing the system. Don't forget demisting that big screen in winter and keeping the car interior dry.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2023, 06:46:53 PM »
The key thing is to leave the Aircon on throughout the year. Keeps the seals moist which helps prevent any gas leakage. Yes, it will reduce the MPG but worth it when you consider the cost and hassle of repairing/regassing the system. Don't forget demisting that big screen in winter and keeping the car interior dry.
I never switch the aircon off on any car that has had it. Reduction in mpg is easily recovered by anticipation and gentle acceleration.

Lewo

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2023, 09:39:22 PM »
I used the ATS deal a couple years ago or so. Never again.
A/C previously was very cold but noticed it wasn't really working so got booked in.
They did their thing, and tbh it felt colder for a few but nowhere near as cold as it had been. I should have taken it back but wasn't able to.
Left it a while but took it to a local garage and yes, condenser had a hole or two.
Fitted a Nissens one and also did the mesh mod to protect the new condenser whilst at it.
All good now.

Tags:

anything