Author Topic: Loving my Jazz - new clutch maybe?  (Read 903 times)

MazzJazz

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport mk1
Loving my Jazz - new clutch maybe?
« on: May 21, 2023, 06:47:58 PM »
Hi,

Been reading here for a while but finally decided to join. I own a 2006 Jazz Sport and had bought it at 102,000 and last June and now have it sitting at 113,000 roughly. In that time I have only had the back box fall off when driving which I know is a common issue with many cars and had happened on my previous MG Rovers too. Mechanics fixed it.

So far I have replaced all brakes both pads and discs. 4 new tyres, oil change, new air and cabin filters, spark plugs, car was serviced and went through MOT with no advisories.

At moment I have two issues to tackle. I am at times getting trouble going into reverse so I assume it needs a new clutch? I drive around 50 miles per day to work and back and have noticed i'm adding maybe 250ml oil every 2,000 miles or so. No oil leaks are visible and no smoke from exhaust. Most of my driving is all motorway so could that potentially be the issue? Going in for service soon anyway so can always ask him to check. Car drives perfectly fine. Engine is smooth and silent.

Rust around the rear wheel arch on outside. Just surface rust so will get paint to cover it. Would like to get another year maybe 2 out of the car before I upgrade to a newer Honda.

Have to say I am really impressed at the reliability of Honda and will be sticking with Honda. I've own BMW 320d previously and a few MG Rovers that were all non stop bother. 

Thanks for reading.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Loving my Jazz - new clutch maybe?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 08:44:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I trust you changed all EIGHT spark plugs. I also had a few issues selecting reverse but my clutch was fine. Check the clutch by driving on a level piece of road, in 5th, at 30 mph, then push the accelerator fully down, If the engine revs shoot up then the clutch needs replaced, if they don't, your clutch is fine.
My 2006 DSi also used a similar amount of oil with no smoke and no leaks (carpeted garage!) so I wouldn't worry about that either. The manual says (page 234): The rate of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per
1,000 km/625 miles.

Always check the oil level when the engine is warmed up. Make sure the engine is warmed up and parked on level ground. Turn off the engine and wait approximately 3 minutes before checking the oil level.
Regarding the rust around the rear wheel arches. Scape out the mud from behind. Wash, then smear grease into the lip. it was the rust that killed my 2006 Jazz. Mine had done 149,500 miles by that time and averaged 55 mpg for the 62,500 miles I owned it.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 10:16:55 PM »
I am at times getting trouble going into reverse so I assume it needs a new clutch?

My MK2 does that sometimes. I simply put it into neutral, clutch up and down, and the try again. Never failed. I've had a few cars that need that doing over the yrs.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 02:32:21 PM »
I would do the same but even then I sometimes had to let it roll a little to get reverse engaged. Just the teeth baulking against each other.

MazzJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 06:26:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I trust you changed all EIGHT spark plugs. I also had a few issues selecting reverse but my clutch was fine. Check the clutch by driving on a level piece of road, in 5th, at 30 mph, then push the accelerator fully down, If the engine revs shoot up then the clutch needs replaced, if they don't, your clutch is fine.
My 2006 DSi also used a similar amount of oil with no smoke and no leaks (carpeted garage!) so I wouldn't worry about that either. The manual says (page 234): The rate of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per
1,000 km/625 miles.

Always check the oil level when the engine is warmed up. Make sure the engine is warmed up and parked on level ground. Turn off the engine and wait approximately 3 minutes before checking the oil level.
Regarding the rust around the rear wheel arches. Scape out the mud from behind. Wash, then smear grease into the lip. it was the rust that killed my 2006 Jazz. Mine had done 149,500 miles by that time and averaged 55 mpg for the 62,500 miles I owned it.

Hi,

Yes it was 8 spark plugs I had gotten. I got the parts number from this site and ordered via ECP.

On my way to work this morning I was doing 30mph in 3rd gear and changed into 5th gear and the rev counter held steady at same RPM's that it was in 3rd gear. No spike happened. Car slowly pulled up in speed in the 5th gear and everything sounded smooth.

I do live by the sea so I am going to have to get the arches sorted ASAP. Is it just regular grease that you mention?

Meant to add.
The surface rust on your car in the photo is exactly where my rust is growing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:29:28 PM by MazzJazz »

MazzJazz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 06:28:38 PM »
I am at times getting trouble going into reverse so I assume it needs a new clutch?

My MK2 does that sometimes. I simply put it into neutral, clutch up and down, and the try again. Never failed. I've had a few cars that need that doing over the yrs.

Funny enough that is what I have been doing and it's worked fine. I have had some moments going into 1st was more difficult.

Overall I have to say I am really enjoying the car. Would like to get a newer model, maybe 2013 era onwards. MOT is in November so hopefully get another year out of this car and time to save more money aside for a newer model. Also interested in a Civic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 07:09:17 PM »
The Mk1 has the most versatile engine in the DSi. Loads of low-down torque. The V-TEC engines of later models thrive on higher revs.

Tags:

anything