Author Topic: problem with fit2019 Auto Idle stop .do i need a battery charger?  (Read 3875 times)

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
Re: problem with fit2019 Auto Idle stop .do i need a battery charger?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »
Auto Idle Stop on Jazz Ex I-VTEC CVT '67.
Not managed to fix it, still get A with line through and a battery symbol [+ -] when vehicle braked.
Other warnings correctly identify Low engine Temp and Air Con On.
Tried various solutions - Open & Close bonnet. Disconnect battery, wait a few minutes, reconnect, etc.

Even tried ChatGPG :-
"1.  Start the engine and wait for the Auto Idle Stop indicator to come on.
2.  Press the Auto Idle Stop button located on the dashboard to turn the feature off.
3.  Once the feature is turned off, drive the car normally for at least 15 minutes.
4.  After driving for 15 minutes, stop the car and turn off the engine.
5.  Restart the engine and the Auto Idle Stop feature should be reset.
If the above steps do not work, you can try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the system."

Purchased a GYS Artic 4000 'smart charger' (Forum comments on my choice appreciated), the battery seems O.K.
Wondering if an earlier charge, with a "standard" charger direct onto a disconnected battery has upset the ECM?
Think I should have connected negative lead to L shaped metal termination of chasis -ve lead.
If so; how do I reboot the ECM?
Does ECM/PCM Idle Learn Procedure (extract below) from http://hondafitjazz.com/manual3/index.html
work on a Jazz Mk3?
"Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, lights, etc.) are off.
Turn the ignition switch to ON, and wait 2 seconds
Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (A/T in P or N) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 90 °C (194 °F).
Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.
NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes."

All thoughts appreciated.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 05:46:20 PM »
I wonder where the financial break even point is with all this running the engine for testing/resetting , not having S/S  at all in the colder months  and more  expensive S/S batteries.   You'd have to do a lot of town driving I think to make enough fuel savings.

I have no experience of a conventional S/S.  My daughter says that even in summer her Fiesta  rarely gets warm enough for S/S to activate before she joins the motorway ,and no use at all on the motorway or the final leg of her journey to work.   
So its not just Jazz  .  And mostly due to her typical driving pattern.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2023, 07:16:51 PM »
Wondering if an earlier charge, with a "standard" charger direct onto a disconnected battery has upset the ECM?
Think I should have connected negative lead to L shaped metal termination of chasis -ve lead.
I have read that if you remove the battery from the car and discharge it using a 12v bulb then reconnect it to the car and charge it in the manner you quote, that effectively relearns the ECU. It's worth a try.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2023, 10:17:19 AM »
I have read that if you remove the battery from the car and discharge it using a 12v bulb then reconnect it to the car and charge it in the manner you quote, that effectively relearns the ECU. It's worth a try.

@Jocko - Your suggestion was going to be my next move - headlight bulb already prepared!
Any thoughts on discharge time or voltage drop?
Smart Charger has a choice of Slow 14.4v /1A, Fast 14.4v /4A, Cold 14.7/4A - but which?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2023, 12:02:45 PM »
I would just discharge it until the battery voltage shows signs of dropping (if you have a multimeter). Or until the bulb starts to show signs of dimming. Set charger for 4A. The alternator would push out way more than that.

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2023, 11:51:00 AM »
Still no Auto Idle Stop!
But I've stopped worrying about it. The idle revs are less than 1000 and the rest of the Jazz MK3 is great.
Stumbled across a video about the battery sensor which might interest others?

https://thepowerfacts.com/what-is-the-purpose-of-a-battery-sensor/

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2023, 02:19:16 PM »
Ever since I got my car in 2015, the idle-stop system has stopped working over the winter and started functioning again in spring. This year, I've reset it twice now (by removing and replacing the negative battery connection); each time, the idle -stop has worked for a day or so and then started sulking again. Even if the journeys have been long enough that the battery should be well charged. So it really does need a battery in tip-top condition, and doesn't like one that's getting towards the end of its life (although still perfectly capable of starting the car when needed).

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »
FYI,
Lidl Weekly (Eng) 20-26 July 2023 Car & Motor Cycle Battery Charger £14.99
"Intelligent microprocessor control with diagnostics program and fully automatic charging process", the blurb says.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2023, 02:20:26 PM »
As I understand it, stop start on some cars only works if you're not asking too much from the battery.

Turn on aircon in hot summer or heating in winter or main beam and/or wipers in heavy rain or night and the 'sensor' will keep the engine running to cope.

This time of year with temps being close to comfortable, hopefully no rain and during the day, stop start should work most of the time.

If not then a trickle charger for short journey motoring may be an answer.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything