Author Topic: Not Desmond!  (Read 2245 times)

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
Re: Not Desmond!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2022, 07:43:12 PM »
Sorry, British TV watching tended to be confined to Doctor Who so not many car licence plates seen  ;) in other worlds.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2022, 11:05:33 AM »
for the info of non uk residents wondering why we fuss about march deliveries, september deliveries etc.

Since 2001 the uk number plates change twice  year ,1 march and 1 september.    for example  New cars registered from  1 march 2022 will get 22 as the year designator until the 1st of september when they add 5 to the first digit.   Cars registered september 2022 until february 2023 will thus  get the year designation 72   ,changing to 23 in March 2023

This complicated system is to please the motor trade, who complained  that most cars were registered in january, distorting trade.   Now there are three peak sales times.  1st January , to get a car registered actually in 2022, 1 march, to get the new 22 pate, and september to get the new 72 plate.

Used car values are influenced by whether a car is 22 or 72, cos thats what neighbours see.   , but actual year can also affect it . A car registered in 2022 but on a 71 plate  may be worth more than a 2021 car on a 71 plate, but not as much as 2022 car on a 22 plate.    Dealers who have manufacturers sales targets to meet often preregister cars with the plate thats due to expire , so they can shift stock at a slightly lower price, without upsetting  those insisting on the latest number plate. 
Its also possible to transfer a cherished number plate that you own the rights to, so new cars can appear with plates that predate this sytem.

DVLA (driver and vehicle licencing authority,) wont issue a number if they think it could be read as something offensive and if they think its something people might want (such as  a looking like a name) you may have to  pay them a fee to get it.

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

davejazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2022, 08:38:59 PM »
for the info of non uk residents wondering why we fuss about march deliveries, september deliveries etc.

Since 2001 the uk number plates change twice  year ,1 march and 1 september.    for example  New cars registered from  1 march 2022 will get 22 as the year designator until the 1st of september when they add 5 to the first digit.   Cars registered september 2022 until february 2023 will thus  get the year designation 72   ,changing to 23 in March 2023

This complicated system is to please the motor trade, who complained  that most cars were registered in january, distorting trade.   Now there are three peak sales times.  1st January , to get a car registered actually in 2022, 1 march, to get the new 22 pate, and september to get the new 72 plate.

Used car values are influenced by whether a car is 22 or 72, cos thats what neighbours see.   , but actual year can also affect it . A car registered in 2022 but on a 71 plate  may be worth more than a 2021 car on a 71 plate, but not as much as 2022 car on a 22 plate.    Dealers who have manufacturers sales targets to meet often preregister cars with the plate thats due to expire , so they can shift stock at a slightly lower price, without upsetting  those insisting on the latest number plate. 
Its also possible to transfer a cherished number plate that you own the rights to, so new cars can appear with plates that predate this sytem.

DVLA (driver and vehicle licencing authority,) wont issue a number if they think it could be read as something offensive and if they think its something people might want (such as  a looking like a name) you may have to  pay them a fee to get it.

My reply is as short as yours is informative.

Well put together, for our non U.K. members.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2022, 07:16:03 AM »
I dont do short.      , Oh I just have!   I 'm getting the hang of it. But now I'm having a relapse   :-\

davejazz

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2022, 09:45:05 AM »
I dont do short.      , Oh I just have!   I 'm getting the hang of it. But now I'm having a relapse   :-\

When I see your username, I think of that particularly cold spell last winter, when I was trying to start my old car.

It was turning over slowly, but not “catching”.

In desperation, I turned my eyes to the Heavens and muttered......Lord,...give me a volt;  or more!

Right, off for a lie down now.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2022, 10:45:21 AM »
Its my real name   ;)  Honest.  :-[  Covered a moor with a windfarm, made a suitable donation in the right quarters and I got to chose my title.   It was that or Lord Dashingblades of Peatybog. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:02:52 AM by Lord Voltermore »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2022, 12:59:13 PM »
Changes to UK number plates just come in ( 1st March ) - the variation in lettering, spacing, colours etc of plates I have seen makes me wonder is anyone actually polices it anyway - I have seen 'Italic' lettering, plates sprayed with a grey varnish to reduce contrast and reflectivity.  The best people to police this would be traffic wardens but are they allowed to ?

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1573442/number-plate-changes-introduced-today-car-prices-march-2022
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2022, 02:28:09 PM »
Changes to UK number plates just come in ( 1st March ) - the variation in lettering, spacing, colours etc of plates I have seen makes me wonder is anyone actually polices it anyway - I have seen 'Italic' lettering, plates sprayed with a grey varnish to reduce contrast and reflectivity.  The best people to police this would be traffic wardens but are they allowed to ?

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1573442/number-plate-changes-introduced-today-car-prices-march-2022
I dont think traffic wardens are allowed to.  I believe the actual offence is not so much illegal plates , but not having plates that ARE  legal.  A technicality I suppose.    But treatments to deliberately foil enforcment cameras  or the like of a strategically placed black bolt changing an F into an E  could be arguably be some sort of criminal deception. If you can  prove it. All day in court with lawyers arguing his client just thought the coating looked good, or a  little yellow cap on the bolt  must have broken off.  At worst a pathetic fine, smirks all round.

Main 'policing' is that  dodgy plates should not pass the mot  , although it only  takes seconds to slip on a legal pair for the test.

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2022, 03:10:28 PM »
...I see more 'dodgy' plates as the days go by. More spacing 'errors' than coatings usually but quite a few of those with the very black raised and incorrect font. Can't see the appeal myself.

Tags: