Author Topic: MPG for those interested  (Read 144976 times)

PaulC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz eHEV Luxe
Re: MPG for those interested
« Reply #585 on: May 13, 2023, 02:57:25 AM »
Consumer New Zealand (the equivalent of Which in the UK) just did a hands-on practical trial of the MPG for the top of the range Toyota Yaris Hybrid.
Their real-life MPG assessment was 45 mpg (5.2 l/100km) across both city and country driving during the NZ winter in the hilly city of Wellington (no real snow nor frosts).
The trial info is here if you are interested (note that it is by an ordinary person, not a professional car reviewer):
https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/toyota-yaris-zr-hybrid-car-review

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #586 on: May 13, 2023, 10:46:39 AM »
Latest fill data - effect of improving weather very evident.

Overall figure tending back up even.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #587 on: May 13, 2023, 11:42:34 AM »
Consumer New Zealand (the equivalent of Which in the UK) just did a hands-on practical trial of the MPG for the top of the range Toyota Yaris Hybrid.
Their real-life MPG assessment was 45 mpg (5.2 l/100km) across both city and country driving during the NZ winter in the hilly city of Wellington (no real snow nor frosts).
The trial info is here if you are interested (note that it is by an ordinary person, not a professional car reviewer):
https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/toyota-yaris-zr-hybrid-car-review

To start with: 5.2 l/100 km is 45 miles per US gallon, in UK gallon it is 54 mpg. So that can cause some confusion here.
https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/fuelconsumption.php

In addition, 5.2 l/100 km is a full liter more than the average consumption of 83 Yaris Hybrid owners who measured their consumption on Spritmonitor over at least 15,000 km (nearly 9,500 mi):
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/1287-Yaris_Hybrid.html?fueltype=10&vehicletype=1&constyear_s=2020&power_s=75&power_e=85&minkm=15000&gearing=3

Note that the Yaris with the lowest fuel consumption averages 3.43 l/100 km over 20,000 km, while the least fuel efficient averages 5.21 l/100 km over 21,000 km.
The latter is a Polish Yaris driver who almost exclusively drives on motorways, where the maximum speed is 140 kmh (87 mph)...

Let's just conclude that driving around for a week (and 270 km at the most) cannot possibly give a correct impression of the actual consumption of a car.
If nothing goes right, go left!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #588 on: May 13, 2023, 01:19:33 PM »
I agree with Jazzik that you need consumption figures over a decent period of time to get a true picture of what your car coupled with you driving pattern and style will achieve. It's all to do with outliers. My record consumption of around 65 mpg over a tank is an outlier as is my lowest figure in the mid to low 40s mpg.

A year is a decent amount of time - you'll drive through all conditions and do a typical mix of trips. Mine is hovering at 55 mpg (actual) so that's what I tell people when they ask about my mpg.

FMIB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #589 on: May 14, 2023, 12:56:59 PM »
First long trip today. Well more than my usual in and out of town trips.

A2, M2, M20, M26, M25, M23

Outbound: 64 miles, average speed 53mph, max speed 72.5mph, average fuel consumption 58mpg

Return:     67 miles, average speed 55.7mph, max speed 73.9mph, average fuel consumption 55mpg

Outbound I was aiming for around 60-65mph and for the return I was aiming to be as close to 70mph as possible.
I was a little disappointed, as I was hoping to achieve 60+mpg on the outbound journey considering I was keeping the speed more towards 60mph most of the time and driving as gently as possible. For my short town trips, I often achieve 60-70+mpg.

The thing is, if I do the same trip in my Volvo XC90, I usually average 47-48mpg, sometimes 50mpg and in a lot more comfort.

For me, motorway cruising is not the Jazz's forte, its town driving ability remains strong and I am glad I have the 2 options.

John Ratsey

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #590 on: May 14, 2023, 07:00:21 PM »
For me, motorway cruising is not the Jazz's forte, its town driving ability remains strong and I am glad I have the 2 options.
I think the same applies with most, if not all, hybrids because at motorway speeds the engine has to continually provide the power and the battery provides little benefit (but adds weight). This effect is evident in the detailed WLTP test results for the "extra high" cycle. The Jazz's shape doesn't help - a long and low car has a better drag factor. You will, however, get excellent mpg from the Jazz on a journey using rural A roads where 60mph is the maximum speed and 50mph more typical.

I would also note that even a light wind can have a significant effect on mpg. People don't appreciate this effect until they start comparing mpgs for different trips. I also found out a few days ago how much heavy rain and very wet roads reduces the mpg due to the tyres having to continually push water out of the way.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

FMIB

• Approved Member
« Reply #591 on: May 14, 2023, 07:32:21 PM »
I think the same applies with most, if not all, hybrids because at motorway speeds the engine has to continually provide the power and the battery provides little benefit (but adds weight). This effect is evident in the detailed WLTP test results for the "extra high" cycle. The Jazz's shape doesn't help - a long and low car has a better drag factor. You will, however, get excellent mpg from the Jazz on a journey using rural A roads where 60mph is the maximum speed and 50mph more typical.

I would also note that even a light wind can have a significant effect on mpg. People don't appreciate this effect until they start comparing mpgs for different trips. I also found out a few days ago how much heavy rain and very wet roads reduces the mpg due to the tyres having to continually push water out of the way.

Completely agree with the effect of rain and a head wind, I just thought that the Jazz might be a bit more slippery through the air as its advantage over my XC90(diesel/mild hybrid) brick on the motorway is not significant, only the ease of parking at Gatwick's stupidly tight short stay car parks gave me the reason to use it today.

To put its town ability into perspective, I just popped into town to the garage to fill up.
3 miles each way, with a cold start. Max speed 50 mph and 67.4mpg going out and 56.4mpg coming back.

Danoh

• Approved Member
« Reply #592 on: May 25, 2023, 01:16:00 PM »
2023 Crosstar
1st refuelling after 2 weeks and 560 miles of mixed motoring; motorways, fast A roads but mostly urban and suburban roads with a bit of stop-start jams.
Generally gentle driving 30-60 mph, but with a few hard acceleration and more urgent, urban runs. Quite impressed by the acceleration with both battery & ICE power!

Honda's metered @ 66.4 mpg.
Self calculated @ 65.7 mpg

Only 1% difference between manually calculated & meter display average. Pretty good.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:50:28 AM by Danoh »
Jazz Crosstar MY23 - Shining Grey Metallic NH880M

snarks

• Registered Member
« Reply #593 on: May 27, 2023, 09:27:59 AM »
I'm averaging 62MPG according to the car, I haven't checked it by other methods.

SebastianTR

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 4.0L/100km
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #594 on: May 30, 2023, 02:15:22 PM »
Last week we made 877KM in Istanbul with one tank and car shows it can go 40km

I set automatic reset to B after every refill
This one from gas station to home

It's just pure joy  :D
Cheers!

njf16154

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #595 on: May 30, 2023, 04:29:05 PM »
My genuine fuel consumption, based on recording usage every time I fill up, is 58mpg. This has been calculated after driving 13100 over the past 20 months. Worst record was 52mpg and best 64mpg refilling on average every 312 miles.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2023, 09:26:40 PM »
Let's talk about summer!
Today we made a trip of just over 67 km. (41 miles).
About 15 km. (9.3 mi) here through the city (half of which in rush hour, hectic, traffic jams) the rest B- and local roads. Along the way some villages with of course speed limits. Nowhere driven faster than 80 km/h. (50 mph).
Beautiful weather, sunny, 24 ° C, quite a bit of wind. Car "loaded" with 3 people (yes... with mother-in-law in the back.. :-* ).
Aircon at 21°C and ECON.
At the start, the B trip counter was set to 0. Back home it showed we made 67.2 kilometers (41.7 miles), consumption 2.9 l/100 km. = 97.4 mpg.
Now that BC is lying a bit. I have calculated that it is about 4 to 5% too optimistic, so in reality it will have been about 93.5 mpg.
I love summer! And not just because our car is so economical then...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:48:04 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #597 on: June 01, 2023, 06:03:25 AM »
I agree with Jazzik that you need consumption figures over a decent period of time to get a true picture of what your car coupled with you driving pattern and style will achieve. It's all to do with outliers. My record consumption of around 65 mpg over a tank is an outlier as is my lowest figure in the mid to low 40s mpg.

A year is a decent amount of time - you'll drive through all conditions and do a typical mix of trips. Mine is hovering at 55 mpg (actual) so that's what I tell people when they ask about my mpg.

Agree with this, all other angst about wind, type of road, load etc. is about the variables of each users style and pattern or none of use. Hence I have always recorded fuel used vs miles covered and displayed each fill and overal mpg on graphs presented, I note aany significant event - usually m/way use for airport journey for holiday and the seasonal temperature effect is clearly evident.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #598 on: June 01, 2023, 07:16:18 AM »
Bought my Jazz last September (22), and just approaching the 10k mile mark. Had a few reasonably long motorway jaunts, but mostly its been nice A or B roads, at a nice relaxed average 55mph. Generally driving in D, but when in the Wolds/Peaks I will drop to B mode. I don't hang about at lights, and quite enjoy the swift acceleration. Occasionally use the air con, but more often than not its not turned on.. just set the temp to Lo. I haven't reset the B trip since purchase, and today I looked and it's giving a very creditable 66 mpg.
I am more than happy with this.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #599 on: June 01, 2023, 07:38:23 AM »
66 mpg seems to be typical for many with  mixed driving,averaged out over a long period ,making no particular efforts to drive economically.   I try not to worry about higher consumption at motorway speeds, in winter etc.  Much as I'd like to have the best of both worlds  the very good times more than make up for the less good times .  IMO.  It depends on your typical driving pattern I suppose.

For some reason Mk4 fuel consumption reminds me of the Poem by Longfellow  / nursery rhyme.

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very, very good,
But when she was bad, she was horrid.

Except the Mk4 is never Horrid , not really.  Even at its worst mpg its still  better than many cars deliver at their best.

On a recent long motorway trip, 28C, fairly flat, no significant wind  ,I set the Cruise control  to 120 kph  (75 mph) Fibometer read 4.5 litres per 100 km (62 mpg)  .Sometimes traffic slowed the car to 100 kph, other times the engine was working hard to regain speed.   I cant absolutely guarantee  this figure,which was a bit better than expected.  I didn't scrupulously reset the trip, so  it may have included a small amount of 'very good' consumption.

Later, in Germany I forgot to set the Cruise control and went with the traffic  flow.  I found I was exceeding 150 kph (93 mph) The car did this comfortably with ,little noise .I didnt dare check mpg  :-[ )    So measured as 'Horses for courses'  the mk 4  still makes a comfortable motorway cruiser, even if it eats a bit more hay than it normally does.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 08:27:18 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Tags: