Author Topic: Jazz 1.3 suitable ?  (Read 3236 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Jazz 1.3 suitable ?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2022, 09:51:59 AM »
I have a 1.2 Mk1 and it hauls 3 adults with no issues.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2022, 10:34:06 AM »
I believe the 1.3 Jazz has 75 bhp and a  0-62  time just over  11 seconds.  Plenty for normal use,  but I  must admit I prefer  90 bhp and 0-62  in single figures for open road overtakes.   BUT  figures on paper dont tell everything.  More important is  mid range  grunt  ,for instance the time taken between 50 and 60 mph.   These figures are available but harder to find.    Performance here can depend on gearing,flexibility etc rather than ultimate power. My 1.4 diesel  Yaris did particularly well here and I kept it 14 years.

A couple of times my sensible head won on car choice  but i was a bit disappointed in road performance. I tended not to keep those as long.   The correct engine can transform a car.     But the proof of the pudding is in a test drive.   Personally if a test drive in a 1.3 Jazz proves adequate performance  I  wouldnt torture myself  trying a more powerful , but ultimately less suitable, alternative .. Thats how you end up buying a superbike.  ;D

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2022, 12:11:30 PM »
I have a 1.2 Mk1 and it hauls 3 adults with no issues.
unexpectedly the i-dsi 1.2 is punchier at low revs than the 1.3 I-Vtec Atkinson Cycle of the GK Mk3.

Bobcat

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Civic 1.7ctdi
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2022, 03:18:55 PM »
I believe the 1.3 Jazz has 75 bhp and a  0-62  time just over  11 seconds.  Plenty for normal use,  but I  must admit I prefer  90 bhp and 0-62  in single figures for open road overtakes.   BUT  figures on paper dont tell everything.  More important is  mid range  grunt  ,for instance the time taken between 50 and 60 mph.   These figures are available but harder to find.    Performance here can depend on gearing,flexibility etc rather than ultimate power. My 1.4 diesel  Yaris did particularly well here and I kept it 14 years.

A couple of times my sensible head won on car choice  but i was a bit disappointed in road performance. I tended not to keep those as long.   The correct engine can transform a car.     But the proof of the pudding is in a test drive.   Personally if a test drive in a 1.3 Jazz proves adequate performance  I  wouldnt torture myself  trying a more powerful , but ultimately less suitable, alternative .. Thats how you end up buying a superbike.  ;D

Thanks to all for the comments and advice

Agreed the next step is to drive the 1.3 Jazz and see whether it is 'acceptable' performance wise.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2022, 04:31:07 PM »

Agreed the next step is to make my wife drive the 1.3 Jazz and see whether it is 'acceptable' performance wise.
Fixed
 ;D

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2022, 05:52:15 PM »
I have a 1.5 manual Jazz and I would definetely try to find one. It is very lively if you are not shy to use upper half of the rpm range.

Regarding the spare tyre, if you look for Jazz made early 2019 or earlier, you will have space for a full size spare, eventhough the car us not fitted with one. It's been discussed several times in this thread, that during 2019 production Honda changed the boot floor pan shape so that even the space saver spare cannot be stored there.

Here is my post about fitting a full size tyre into my MY 2019 Jazz 1.5, which is built late 2018 https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12071.msg96644#msg96644
As you see there is still place for miscellaneous stuff around the spare.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 06:08:32 PM by TnTkr »

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 07:56:22 AM »
It's all academic really until you get out and drive one.
The Jazz 1.3 feels a bit sluggish unless you rev it out and get into the VTEC zone, and it does struggle with steep hills. Ride is a bit hard also.
It's suitable for short journeys, not a lot more tbh.
40 miles a day, I'd be looking at another Civic or maybe a Corolla.
Also the Jazz is relatively expensive for what it is, as.it is loved by our retired brethren, keeping the values up.
Larger cars are relatively cheaper and better value.
I only paid £8k for my 2016, and that's a lot really, any more I just don't see the point.
We tried a Yaris, they are small inside and for drivers under 6 foot as the steering wheel doesn't move up much.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »
As one of the retired brethren, I don’t agree that the Mk3 Jazz is not suitable for long journeys. I have regularly driven between Suffolk, Yorkshire and Tyneside and been very comfortable at around 65mph, when the cvt keeps the revs below 2500 rpm, with actual (not indicated) fuel consumption around 55 mpg.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 12:22:47 PM »
As one of the retired brethren, I don’t agree that the Mk3 Jazz is not suitable for long journeys. I have regularly driven between Suffolk, Yorkshire and Tyneside and been very comfortable at around 65mph, when the cvt keeps the revs below 2500 rpm, with actual (not indicated) fuel consumption around 55 mpg.

Totally agree and Mk4 is even better.  ;D

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 07:00:23 PM »
Depends what you are used to doesn't it.

The Jazz is a small car, it's never going to be that refined.

The OP has a Civic, I suggest he sticks with one or a similar sized car.

For what it is, a runabout, it is very good and reliable.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2022, 06:54:47 AM »
I found my Jazz very well suitable for long journeys on country roads, highways and motorways. Of course it becomes a bit thirsty if speed goes up to 80 mph or more. Travelling is a pleasure as long as the road has decent asphalt surface. Jazz has noticeable drawbacks in smaller roads, when road surface is bumpy or unpaved.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:24:21 AM by TnTkr »

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2022, 07:28:21 AM »
I agree, the longest distance I covered in a single day with a Jazz was nearly 900 miles (1400 km) from Florence in Italy back to The Netherlands. Back then I had a 2017 1.3 CVT, which was great on the Autobahn. To prevent high revs at high speeds, I set it in manual mode in 7th gear and cruised happily at in between 2.500 and 3.000 rpm (70 to 85 mph). Of course I had to shift back to 6th or 5th (or normal CVT mode) when passing mountains.

A year earlier, I did a similar distance in a 2014 Civic 1.6 i-dtec. I prefer the Jazz seats for such a long journey, although the Civic is a bit quieter inside and has a more sporty feel. In terms of fatigue I did not notice much difference.

Now with the Mk4, it is even quieter and it feels like a bigger car. So the small Jazz has grown up, so to say!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2022, 10:15:21 AM »
Depends what you are used to doesn't it.
The Jazz is a small car, it's never going to be that refined.

I can only compare it with the various Rover/Landrover vehicles that I've had over the years, including a Rover 3500S and a Freelander.
I would say that the Mk4 Jazz is equal to any of them and I would happily drive 300+ miles in a day, without any undue discomfort.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2022, 01:43:51 PM »
"This third-generation Honda Fit rarely earns the high praise heaped upon its predecessors. Part of the problem is that many folks love to think cars used to be better, and they bemoan a redesign’s loss of what made certain cars special. But set that aside and judge the Fit for what it is—an affordable, practical, spacious, and versatile machine—and its value is difficult to ignore. Tech editor Eric Tingwall transported a quartet of six-plus-footers, including himself, to the Adirondacks and back in three days. There isn’t another sub-$19K car that would have allowed them to make that trip in the comfort they did—not even the vaunted and 10Best-winning Volkswagen Golf that’s also in our fleet."

Quote from https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15102263/2015-honda-fit-ex-manual-long-term-test-wrap-up/

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2022, 02:15:54 PM »
I agree about the Mk4.

I came from a Civic 9G and the Mk4 is just as comfy if not more so as the suspension seems more flexible.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags:

anything