Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Mk2 cvt verses mk3
« Last post by daveyboy on Today at 09:09:23 AM »
Does the 1.5 sport cvt have six or seven ratios as my old daihatsu yrv turbo cvt 1.3 had seven which seven was useful on motorways.
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Working engine hard .... drawbacks?
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 08:58:36 AM »
Obviously cost is not in the equation so why drive  like a granny?
I am retired, have all the time in the world (St Peter permitting!), and treat striving for great mpg as a game.
Honda Jazz Mk1 2002-2008 / Re: Recommended Oils
« Last post by culzean on Today at 08:55:02 AM »
In my gearbox I put Smith & Allan MTF-94 which is an old formula for honda and rover gearboxes, found it to be much quieter than the 15 year old/75000 miles Honda fluid I removed, been in there a couple of months now, no issues so far, cost 23 from Smith & Allan's ebay site (cheaper than using their own website) for 5 litres which should allow for 3 refills. I would normally stick to manufacturers exact recommendations but as this is an old car I just tried something different, seems to be good stuff, if it wrecks my gearbox I'll update.
In the engine, last week, I changed the oil & filter and put in Elf Evolution 5w30 (A5), again much quieter and smoother than the stuff that was in there (not sure what it was, changed at last service about 18months/7000 miles ago by local garage). I cant find any reason to fault this oil, it was 20, again from Smith & Allan's ebay site, I only chose it because it seemed to be a good spec, brand name oil at a really cheap price, works really well and I'm really happy with it at this price, if it was the same price as Castrol, I'd buy the Castrol.

It is quieter because S&A MTF-94 is higher viscosity than Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80,  which will undoubtedly result in worse MPG   - who knows how much this will erode the 6.50 / litre lower price (13 total  @opie oils price) over 70,000 miles of use LOL.  In general I am not a fan of thin oils (won't use lower than 5W-30 in engine),  but reduction of churning losses in the gearbox can make a big difference to efficiency.

I just changed Civic gearbox oil and used Castrol Syntrans V-FE and am happy that the Castrol has a real pungent 'gearbox oil' smell (completely different to engine oil).
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: New owners.
« Last post by andruec on Today at 08:39:39 AM »
I must have picked up on your statement,

"At normal motorway speeds the engine has to do a lot of work and that means it has to consume a lot of fuel."

Which I do not agree with.
Yes, I suppose that is a bit misleading. Although true it should be qualified with respect to the lower amount of fuel needed at below motorway speeds and the wasteful nature of urban driving (inefficient RPMs and frequent acceleration).
I have not done a long journey yet but will be doing an 800 mile round trip in a couple of weeks that will give an indication of motorway consumption.
If you can handle a steady 60mph it will probably do what mine does and end up in the high 60s. If you go with the flow at 70/80 it'll do worse.

Aside from the reduced cost the other reason I prefer lane one these days is because it's more calming. I get out of the car after a couple of hours feeling no different to when I got in. I also don't get wound up by 50mph roadworks. In fact amusingly I tend to move out to lane 3 through them since I switch to using my GPS to monitor my speed and usually find that most people are only doing 45mph plus in lanes one and two you can get temporary bunching as people get scared by the barriers :)
« Last post by mikebore on Today at 08:38:19 AM »
I have noticed a contradiction, some people monitor their fuel consumption to an accuracy of a teaspoonful of a gallon, yet are happy to use the most expensive high octane fuel they can find. Obviously cost is not in the equation so why drive  like a granny? Unless by you are one of course. ;D

At least one granny I know (my other half) drives her car hard.... acceleration, braking and motorway speed.. :D
« Last post by mikebore on Today at 08:35:02 AM »
I think any improvement felt by using greater than 95 octane fuel in a Jazz is psychological justification for the extra expense. It is reputedly a free country so it is a choice we all have.

For the past 50 odd years I have also believed that using a higher octane than needed to stop detonation (pinking) was a waste of money.

However modern engines detect pinking and can advance the ignition accordingly. Changed ignition timing with higher octane fuel provides a technical reason for better performance that didn't apply in the olden days.

I can't claim I have seen a difference myself but I have a more open mind now.
« Last post by culzean on Today at 08:34:47 AM »
I have noticed a contradiction, some people monitor their fuel consumption to an accuracy of a teaspoonful of a gallon, yet are happy to use the most expensive high octane fuel they can find. Obviously cost is not in the equation so why drive  like a granny? Unless by you are one of course. ;D

I found over many years of an 80 mile a day commute that higher octane fuel can be cost effective as it does give better mpg (or it can give a bit more power,  which if you use it unfortunately negates the better fuel consumption) - I have found this on both Jazz and Civic.  And no it is not a placebo effect ( I did a blind trial on her indoors car),  my wife used to use supermarket fuel and her identical Jazz never ran as well as mine did,  I filled it up (without her knowledge) with Ultimate and she actually asked me 'if I had tuned her car' - when I told her it was just the fuel she never used supermarket fuel again.
« Last post by Skyrider on Today at 08:22:21 AM »
Honda Jazz Mk3 2015 - / Re: Mk2 cvt verses mk3
« Last post by mikebore on Today at 06:55:29 AM »
My Mk3 MT has averaged 50.34 mpg over 31,200 miles of similar mixed motoring in a 27 month period.  Again all data by recording at pump and mileage, not onboard computer.

I do very little motorway driving but when I do, I tend to drive at 70mph and the fuel consumption is noticably more.

Your 50.34 mpg is pretty consistent with my 46.1 mpg, as I do a lot of motorway, usually in the fast lane at whatever speed it is doing.
Honda Jazz Mk2 2008-2015 / Re: SI and SI-T differences?
« Last post by Jocko on Today at 06:09:29 AM »
According to Parkers, the SI only comes in the T variant!
https://www.parkers.co.uk/honda/jazz/hatchback-2008/specs/
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything