Author Topic: what milage do people get?  (Read 2788 times)

smilertoo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4l Honda Jazz 2013 Toffee Apple Red - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
what milage do people get?
« on: December 11, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »
As in the title, what sort of mileage are people getting from the Auto hybrid? I was expecting around 50mpg but from trawling around a lot seem to get no better than a manual normal jazz.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: what mileage do people get?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »
My hybrid Jazz is a distant memory but looking in my records shows it gave 58.8 mpg over nearly 16,000 miles (and 64 mpg over 1770 miles on its last trip to /around Scotland). However, I'm quite gentle with the right foot as shown by 57.8 mpg over 5300 miles using the Mk 3 Jazz which replaced the hybrid. However, the hybrid was the more pleasant vehicle to drive as the electric motor provided some useful low end torque which the 1.3 Mk 3 Jazz lacks.

I concluded that the hybrid Jazz's small battery coupled to a small motor provided improved efficiency / economy under stop/start urban driving conditions but didn't give much help when on the open road when any efficiency gain was likely offet by lugging around a heavy battery (which meant that a spare wheel took up space in the boot).

As with all internal combustion engined vehicles, the mpg drops significantly during the winter half of the year so, if you've acquired the vehicle recently then you won't be seeing such good mpg as you'll get during the summer months. However, the engine might benefit from a dollop of redex in the fuel tank and a good thrashing up a long hill in order to clear any accumulated deposits.

2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

jazzavac

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz HS Hybrid
Re: what milage do people get?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
Currently,
- City centre driving with lot of traffic lights. waiting, heating on, 6 mile trip, 1 mile steep hill - 44.4
- Country roads and motorway driving @60-65 mph - very little traffic - 65

Summer time - urban driving as above, but slightly less traffic due to school holidays 52-57

All values are as indicated by trip computer, real values are 5-10% lower

I use V-Power or BP Ultimate unleaded only.

Notes:
Most of petrol is used to warm up the engine
At low outside temperatures engine is less likely to switch off at stop
Econ mode is ON
Short trips are worst for MPG, any longer trip, and MPG goes up significantly.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 03:31:33 PM »
With one eye on a future hybrid jazz I have been looking at the specs of the new CR-V hybrid and also the new Toyota RAV-4 hybrid.  As a physicist immune to PR claims, I am puzzled by where any significant environmental benefit comes from.  Both these cars incorporate quite large petrol engines to recharge the battery and drive the electric motor (Honda is 2 litre and Toyota 2.5 litre).  All the energy comes from the petrol as it would in a pure petrol-engined vehicle, so any fuel-saving can only come from running these engines more efficiently together with regenerative braking.  Am I missing something?

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
With one eye on a future hybrid jazz I have been looking at the specs of the new CR-V hybrid and also the new Toyota RAV-4 hybrid.  As a physicist immune to PR claims, I am puzzled by where any significant environmental benefit comes from.  Both these cars incorporate quite large petrol engines to recharge the battery and drive the electric motor (Honda is 2 litre and Toyota 2.5 litre).  All the energy comes from the petrol as it would in a pure petrol-engined vehicle, so any fuel-saving can only come from running these engines more efficiently together with regenerative braking.  Am I missing something?

No - I don't think you are. For me there is probably an air quality benefit especially in towns and cities but not necessarily a huge CO2 saving.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »

I drive a 2016 Toyota RAV4 with the 2.5l petrol engine and am also trained as a physicist. You are not missing anything of course. In real life, you are getting a large 4x4 with the economy of a smaller car. That's it. The engine hardly ever directly drives the wheels, it just runs when it needs to, as efficiently as it can, charging up the, not very large, battery and supplementing the electric drive. I think next time I will look at a plug-in hybrid but I will not be buying any more, just leasing, as the pace of technology is going to massively hit car resale values over the next few years I think.

I never pay too much attention to the published MPG figures, but I did notice the overall MPG of the car I test drove was 44.5mpg. I asked about the car and it belonged to the Service Manager at the dealership who commuted in it from somewhere in Derbyshire to Huddersfield. The car I bought was a 12 month old Toyota pool car with a similar overall MPG. Looking at the Sat Nav history, it seems it spent its 12,000 mile life on a small number of motorway journeys going from Toyota HQ to various distant dealerships.

Going purely off the car's own readings, I get around 35mpg pootling around my exceptionally hilly town, but closer to 45mpg when doing legal motorway speeds heading off to North Yorkshire to visit the Mother in Law. I have achieved well over 50mpg when really trying on long A Road and motorway style trips.

However, if you feel the need and decide to engage sport mode and floor it away from the lights, when both electric motors kick in alongside the 2.5l petrol engine, it is perfectly possible to achieve consumption in the low teens!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:40:28 PM by richardfrost »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »
I haven't been able to find any details, but presumably the new WLTP consumption and emission test cycle for self-charging hybrids includes a requirement that the battery charge-state is the same at the end of the test as at the beginning.

Tags: