Author Topic: Alloy wheel centre caps.  (Read 2957 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Alloy wheel centre caps.
« on: May 10, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
Hi All, Just had car serviced & MOT'd...passed thankfully! Couple of advisories but for next year. However, as we do, check things little closer after car being out of possession & noticed that centre cap the Honda 'H' (silver on black) was partly broken. Can't say for definite when this happened, but now it stands out a mile, well to me anyway, as I am sure it would to most of us.

Having had search for new set, I realise there are differing sizes for these bit of trim. Front of my centre caps measures 59mm. Reason for me posting is that some searches are throwing up sizes of 56mm, 75mm, 69mm and even 90mm measurements for honda wheel centre caps.

There are some here for example: (hope link works)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ALLOY-WHEELS-CENTER-CAPS-SET-4-SILVER-ON-BLACK-Face-60-mm-Clip-58-mm/222812543829?hash=item33e0a99b55:g:w8MAAOSwNf1ZryBO

and wondering if these are exactly what I am after?

Also, am I right in thinking that a flat bladed screwdriver will pry off/prise the cente cap off wheel, or do I have to remove entire wheel? (Believe it or not, youtube has not made this particularly clear & in 1 case of a link to 'removal of honda alloy wheel centre cap' video only shows a person pressing in new cap with bloody wheel off).

Anyway, little rant over with and glad of any answers/advice forthcoming.

Fell Viper

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 Jazz EX
Re: Alloy wheel centre caps.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »
Not sure on sizes, although if you contact honda you may be able to find out the size directly from them and then just order somewhere cheaper!

In taking them off, it may be possible to damage them with a driver, they pop out really easily once the wheel is off though (had mine off and on recently)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:13:28 PM »
I bought new ones for my Volvo, when I had the wheels restored. I just measured the diameter of the hole in the wheel, and that is the size I ordered. Just pop the broken one out with a screwdriver (watch you don't mark the wheel), and measure for yourself.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »
Cheers, guys. Bit more searching and main place to buy appear to be Ebay-some selling a single centre cap for almost same as buying set of 4! Didn't even realise you can even buy 'stickers' to simply place over the plainer types of centre caps or broken ones. Further search on Amazon resulted in finding caps for every single car type...but Honda not listed!!!

TY for clarifying cap is able to be removed from front as would have been loathed to go through task of removing all 4 wheels to replace caps. Will be careful when removing with small flathead screwdriver of other implement even covering the outer area where screwdriver would 'rest' to gently prise cap out-maybe something like gaffa/duct tape due to thickness.

(Now that little unexpected/unwanted matter is answered can now get on with insurance job at hand!)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »
I bought plain caps and stickers. Looked the part, and stayed on for rest of time I had car. This was after a couple of winters, just before I sold car.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »
Bloodyhell! Didn't really give them a 2nd thought due to our weather but now you given me some serious thinking-1 piece will have to check is if current caps are '3d' or flat as this may cause some edhering issues, unless you can tell me otherwise!

TY for taking time to upload pic too. Appreciated.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:14 PM »
The caps I bought were flat. I just made sure they were clean and grease free. A wipe with Naptha (Ronsonol Lighter fluid) did the job. I use it for delicate guitar finishes.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »
 :D Well that put a smile on my face, TY Jocko! Least know there is an alternative to proper caps. Not a major thing & only cosmetic so not in any rush. Least the machine is done for another year (re-other post regards insurance/service/mot) & can now relax, relatively, for short while!

MT's for all posts.

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »
Remove the centre caps from the back to avoid damage to the cap or wheel.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
Hi, Topdown. This is exactly what I didn't want to do unless only way. TBH, the removal of 1 wheel wouldn't be too bad to replace new cap, but have feeling that new single cap may stand out to the other 3...it is something I will have to decide nearer the time when get to tackle issue.

However, if it is easy enough to tackle job with wheels in situ then will opt for 4 new caps. Again, as yet undecided how will be proceeding.

Tags:

anything