Author Topic: Cvt fluid change  (Read 42446 times)

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: Cvt fluid change
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »
a search Bay can often find 4l going for less.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
With the caveat that it'll be a private sale of someone else's unused surplus. (sold car, didn't use it, etc.)

guest6745

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
Just want to say a big 'Thank you' to this post. I managed to change the fluid on my 2004 1.4 SE by myself yesterday. This totally cured the funny vibration when the vehicle start moving. I know this will come back some point, but I am not scared of this anymore as I can fix it by myself.

Bought two genuine HONDA 4L CVT fluids on ebay (cost me about £80). I bought a washer (about£1 from Honda), but didn't use it as the old one looked ok.

For the safety, I shouldn't have done this but just used pump jack (ie no axle stands) as I didn't really have to go under the car (just my arms once I recognised the drain bolt). I found a tip to drain out the fluid more - jack up the right hand side of the car when it stop dripping on flat, which help the drain-out extra 100-200ml.

Follow the instruction as explained here (shifting between gears, holding up to 3000rpm etc), drained the fluid out again after waiting for 1 hour or so (someone said 'wait at least 20mins', but please wait more as long as you can. If this is too short, it won't cure the problem). It takes time, so be patient.

I changed the engine oil/filter/air filter/cabin filter/spark plug while waiting 2nd drain out. Now the car runs wonderfully. I didn't know the car is so powerful with full throttle, couldn't do before because of the vibration. I took me 4-5 hours in total, but it wan't too difficult and it is definitely DIYable if you have the right tools.
The costs in total were about £120 (inc oil and filter etc). For almost like a full service, it is not bad if you have spare time to do it yourself.

I got so much used to the vibration since I bought the car a few month ago, so I feel rather strange without any noises or vibration :) I would like to put a new aftermarket stereo next. Thanks.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 05:11:06 PM »
Good to learn you were able to improve your Jazz & complete a thorough service.
As regards a change of stereo, I thought about it our one of our older Jazz models but ended up changing the speakers fr & Rr instead - no dash issues.

Nils

• Registered Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
Please tell me how better to drain old CVT fluid, should I warm the engine or drain the cold oil?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »
  I suggest that it is better to drain warm oil than cold as it flows more freely and hence carries more debris with it. If you are doing a double fluid change, ie a flush, then the second oil change will be cold.
Don't just warm the engine before you change the oil as this will not warm up the gearbox oil, take the car for a drive and use all the gearbox functions, 'D', 'S' and 'R', to get the oil thoroughly warm. You can of course put it all back together to warm up the second oil change if you are doing two.

Vic.

Nils

• Registered Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Thank you for your detail answer! I Is there some information about when just change CVT oil and when to make a double fluid change? 
If I need double fluid change may I do second change later on? (I have only 4 liters of CVT oil now)

guest1372

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »
On the official service schedule it is now replace every 2 years, but I see no harm on waiting until you start to feel the judder if you are doing the maintenance yourself.  There would also be no harm in waiting a week between 1st and 2nd fill, a luxury that a garage does not have.
--
TG

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
If I need double fluid change may I do second change later on? (I have only 4 liters of CVT oil now)
I think there's benefit in using the vehicle for a week or two before doing the second flush: I recall that the discussion about fixing the clutch judder problem included explanation about giving the gearbox some hard work so that the clean fluid would pick up more of the accumulated muck before being drained out. Filling and then immediately emptying the fluid won't be as beneficial.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Nils

• Registered Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
Thank you for your advices!
I have changed the oil and vibration during the start disappeared. Should I change CVT oil for the second time soon, or I can leave this oil for 2 years or till the next vibration? I guess It was first change of CVT oil for 2006  jazz with 55000 km. Oil was moderately dark but not black.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:32:05 PM by Nils »

guest7147

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
Find an empty road. Take the car up to 40mph with nothing electrical on. Then turn the dipped beam on and let the car coast to 20mph.

Forget about trying to short pins 4 and 9 on the DTC socket on a UK model, pin four isn't even wired up so will do nothing.

Hi Eddie, thanks for all the info. so I have a GE6 Jap model Fit, is there any other way to reset the cvt ? short pin 4-9? where did you get this info have you got a service manual?

thanks again!

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
I've got a service manual somewhere, but I don't run Windows much - think it may be on the slow laptop.

Pin 4 and 9 depends on market. On both my UK market cars pin 4 isn't connected to anything, so shorting will do nothing.

guest7328

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 12:52:06 AM »
Excellent write up!

I've just taken delivery of a GD3 with an uncertain service history so I thought I'd tackle this along with a standard oil, plugs and filters chance.

Tags:

anything