Author Topic: Good quality polish  (Read 13855 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Good quality polish
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »

A longish video by the Forensic Detailing channel. The intro is the interesting bit. He says that claying is, amongst all detailing tasks, the most destructive to your clear coat. He's not saying don't clay, quite the opposite, but he has given me a very good reason not to! It is risky if not done properly.

I kind of instinctively felt that and I was always sceptical about the idea that it's an easy job. This guy agrees with me.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »

A longish video by the Forensic Detailing channel. The intro is the interesting bit. He says that claying is, amongst all detailing tasks, the most destructive to your clear coat. He's not saying don't clay, quite the opposite, but he has given me a very good reason not to! It is risky if not done properly.

I kind of instinctively felt that and I was always sceptical about the idea that it's an easy job. This guy agrees with me.

Was that snake oil he was using as a clay lube ?

My wife nearly strangled me when she caught me using her dressmaking scissors to cut paper,  because paper contains clay and clay takes the edge off steel scissors - I learned that lesson well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:51:37 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 03:17:39 PM »
My wife nearly strangled me when she caught me using her dressmaking scissors to cut paper,  because paper contains clay and clay tales the edge off steel scissors - I learned that lesson well.

Been there, done that, still got the marks to prove it!

Vic.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
It's evident from your photos Jazzway that you have the claying technique right. I'm still reluctant to try it.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 09:17:55 AM »
I see that Jazzway's car is painted in Storm Silver, which looking at the pic suggests it is slightly darker than Alabaster Silver.  Certainly his Jazz is looking good. Mine after a good wash did come up very well, perhaps all is OK but when it gets warmer I will try the bonnet  with a clay bar and the Bilt Hmaber then it can be compared with the wings.
Thanks for all the help.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »
I must be honest, after claying the car I didn't notice a great deal of difference in the paintwork. It must have been cleaner, because the clay bar got dirty pretty quickly, but it didn't make an "Oh, wow!" difference.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
I see that Jazzway's car is painted in Storm Silver, which looking at the pic suggests it is slightly darker than Alabaster Silver.  Certainly his Jazz is looking good. Mine after a good wash did come up very well, perhaps all is OK but when it gets warmer I will try the bonnet  with a clay bar and the Bilt Hmaber then it can be compared with the wings.
Thanks for all the help.

Yes - if I did try clay, I might do it on a small section first.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 11:44:36 AM »
Attached are PDF photos of my wifes Jazz and my Civic (taken today)  you can clearly see good reflections in both cars even though one is white pearl.  Remember these cars never get cleaned and they never got anything like clay or wax near them until last summer when I used AuroGlym super resin polish on both once.   Both cars had the 'diamond' treatment when we got them,  My wifes cost a few hundred quid and mine was free because although I told dealer I did not want it,  they did it anyway (Brindley Honda, top dealer).  The photos have been reduced in definition due to compressing into a PDF,  the shine is better on original photographs.  Just proves that the 'diamond' and other coatings do work very well,  and if I costed time that has been saved 'cleaning and polishing' the cars the coatings work out very cheap anyway.  It has been 5 years sine we had the cars and the 'diamond' coating has not been touched up since,  although they do give you a maintenance kit with it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 08:26:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 01:56:58 PM »
That's pretty impressive! Why aren't they caked in mud and grime?

Interesting about the Diamondbrite treatment. For years I have rejected any offer of paint treatments. In my time I've been offered Lifeshine (it's autoglym I think), Diamondbrite and Supagard.

This time I decided I would try one of these treatments. The dealers wanted £299 for it but got it half price as part of the deal - (you can pick up the kits on Ebay for relatively little). In doing this I was aware that most detailers and car care enthusiasts despise these treatments and you are seen as a mug if you go for one.

But I am curious to see how they work, indeed if they work. The one offered was supagard. You get a kit of aftercare stuff as well (shampoo, bird wipes, wheel cleaner etc).

Obviously I won't be using clay on this car until or unless the treatment proves to be useless!

I'll let you know how I get on. I am just going to wash the car with the shampoo provided on a monthly basis. They've given me 10 sachets. Obviously polish is a no no with these treatments but I am not even going to use my aqua wax or bilt hamber stuff. I'll try and post up regular "beading" shots through the year.

If Culzean hadn't mentioned having it done on his cars I might not have fessed up to this :P

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 02:25:53 PM »
I do know of one car care enthusiast who washes his car with Evian water! He thinks the hard water will ruin his paint. I like a clean car but there are limits.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »
I've recently got a 30ml pot of '9H ceramic coating'.  It's supposed to be a high shine hydrophobic hard coating that contains Polysiloxane and claims to make the surface more resistant to scratches.  I plan to coat my nearside mirror cap with it as that has seen a few bushes/hedgerows over the years and now has many fine scratches. Not convinced to apply it to the main bodywork as it might be an awful streaky mess, but if it fills in a few scratches and helps prevent new ones then it might be worth the effort.
--
TG

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
Personally, I get a great deal of satisfaction washing and polishing my car.
With regard to detailers,
I was aware that most detailers and car care enthusiasts despise these treatments
I think the detailers that are referred to are the amateurs who work on their cars for shows and such. Professional detailers, who do it as a business, wouldn't go to the lengths the enthusiasts do and are happy to supply the treatments mentioned.

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »
I do know of one car care enthusiast who washes his car with Evian water! He thinks the hard water will ruin his paint. I like a clean car but there are limits.

You might mention to him that Evian is considered by the experts to be a relatively hard water.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
Fair comment Jocko. A lot of people do enjoy detailing and go to extraordinary lengths. As somebody who likes a clean car I've lurked on the edges of the detailing scene and have picked up one or two tips but have decided it's not quite for me. Interestingly my routine, for many years, was to wash with a shampoo/wax (like Triple Wax) having rinsed the car first with a watering can, I would then wash with a sponge, rinse off with several watering cans full and then dry with a chamois. I also had a routine with Turtle Wax Original Liquid Wax where I would do a quarter of the car once a month (except during the really bad weather which meant it got polished/waxed twice a year.

By a long way my routine was far more than most people did and people used to say how clean my car looked. If you described my routine to a detailing enthusiast they would get an attack of the vapours and tell me that I might as well clean my car with sandpaper!

The guy I knew who washed his car with Evian water lived fairly near me. He had a Porsche - a 911 Turbo - which was a few years old and his hobby car. The daily driver didn't get the Evian treatment. He showed me his garage once - it was like an operating theatre.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »

You might mention to him that Evian is considered by the experts to be a relatively hard water.

LOL - I knew this chap when we lived over in Derbyshire. If I came across him again I'd be tempted to mention this ;D

Have to say his Porsche looked stunning - possibly because it rarely left his drive!

Tags: