Author Topic: Petrol Flap  (Read 2148 times)

guest7501

Petrol Flap
« on: February 18, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
Hi everyone

Just bought a Honda Jazz I-VTEC -ES 2009 for my son's first car. Took it to fill up straight after buying and it took us 30 minutes to open the flap. There is no release mechanism or cable on this model - I understand that when the car is unlocked you just push to the right of the flap and it should open. After 20 minutes or so pushing it finally opened and allowed us to fill up. Closing it flush is also an issue. When it is open I tested the plastic spring post and it seems to operate ok. Just tried to open it again and could not. Anyone else had this problem? Thank you for your time

guest5079

• Topic Starter
Re: Petrol Flap
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
I have read somewhere there is a release inside the car. From memory  ( not good) it is inside the cover of the N/S rear light cluster. I have just checked the Honda handbook and can't find what I believe I have read somewhere. There is a note that the filler cover can't be opened if the drivers door is locked. Perhaps this might be the problem. If there is a warranty I should take it back for them to sort. It might just be a sensor in the filler area.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Petrol Flap
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:47:37 AM »
Wonder if car has had a bump and things have become a bit misaligned so that spring loaded plunger works OK in fresh air but the bracket with hole it goes into is twisted or does not line up properly anymore (or has dirt in it ). 

The pip should be spring loaded to retract and a solenoid to push it forward / lock it in place when other doors get locked. 

Could be that someone has tried to force it open and distorted the bit on the fuel flap that has a hole in it.  Try a bit of GT85 or silicone  lubricant (not WD40 which will stick it in place for all time once it dries out to a sticky lacquer).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: