Author Topic: Hopefully an end to windscreen reflections!  (Read 15754 times)

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Re: Hopefully an end to windscreen reflections!
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2017, 03:10:49 AM »
These are the reflections as I see them. It is very dependant on seat position/head height. If I drive in the "boy racer position" there is nothing to see, but because I like a very upright position they are very prominent. At 6' 1" my head is quite near the roof. I never let them bother me. It is like a rattle or a squeak. it is an annoyance that you soon tune out.
Perhaps the little Japanese engineers are too short for the reflections to show up!

O my...  :o If i saw this i also would have bought that chinese dasboard thing or made something similar myself! But i don't see that, how hard i try.
I can only think that is caused by some inferior dasboard cleaning/gloss (spray) — maybe you didn't put it on, but a dealer/seller/previous owner when you bought a used car. After i bought our used Jazz i thoroughly cleaned the dashboard with an all purpose cleaner mixed with water on a cloth, repeated that with a water/white vinegar mix to remove the apc cleaner residue, and when that was fully dry i put a dressing (UV protection, anti-static, easy to clean...) on it. I clean and reapply the dressing twice a year. Maybe thorough cleaning removed something which the dasboard manufacturer (or dealer, seller, etc)  put on, or the dressing blocked it. But i also know there are some nasty (spray) dressings which give a mirror shine you don't want.

How hard i search i don't see any reflection. I am 5.5ft, sitting in a very upright seat position and not with my nose on the steering wheel.  ;)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2017, 06:47:49 AM »
As I said earlier, I cleaned the dashboard with neat Sugar Soap, to remove any silicone type deposits that may have been put on previous. It did make a difference, but as is obvious from the photographs, not enough. I think the angle of the windscreen has a lot to do with it. Modern car windscreens are becoming increasingly more raked. I struggle to reach the bottom of the screen in my Jazz, which I have never found in previous cars. The greater the rake the greater the area of dashboard top and ergo, the greater the chance of reflections.

guest5079

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 10:53:43 AM »
Because my Wife has terrible problems with glasses, it is imperative that opticians get them right. When we first had the Jazz, my Wife mentioned it to the Optician. She in turn, made the comment. that is interesting as we are getting more and more concerns about reflections from car windscreens.
SO it ain't just the Jazz and as the gentleman who is lucky enough to drive all the posh cars reports, it's on the megabuck jobs as well.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »
Better aerodynamics can be achieved by longer more sloping windscreens. On a near vertical windscreen any reflections will go towards the roof above the driver's head. Also, I think, the bigger the windscreen then the greater the risk of reflections. However, it also depends on the driver's eyeball position. For example, someone who likes a semi-reclined driving position may not see the reflections which annoy a driver who prefers to be more upright. The surface of the material below the windscreen is another factor - the humps and the dips in the Mk 2 Jazz create a light / dark pattern which worsens any relection pattern. Honda, however, could have provided a non-reflective surface at negligible cost.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest7110

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 09:42:36 AM »
Is this suede or imitation suede?

How well does it both at lip where the original dash begins again?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
One supposes it is the aircon and the dirty air constantly being brought in. The filter can't deal with some of the muck in the air we breath.

I blame diesels,  even when they are not chucking out really black fumes they still produce an insidious grey smoke (which is visible at night in headlights if you follow a diesel).  I have noticed how much dirtier the rear of diesels get,  noticed it again on my bro-in-laws Volvo last weekend - a bit of Karma I suppose.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest5079

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2017, 11:38:34 AM »
DJazz, the one I have from Ali Express is similar carpeting to that on the floor. It is backed quite well made and follows the contours of the Jazz dashboard. I have not used the supplied fixers I had a 'sticky' mat which I cut pads from and the whole lot hasn't moved. As to the fit, all the vents are exposed by cut outs and all that can be critised is that it could do with being about 1" in old money shorter each side. BUT for around £15 including post it pretty good value.
There are some from USA at circa £75 to £100 plus customs and are probably made by the same people.

guest7110

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »
DJazz, the one I have from Ali Express is similar carpeting to that on the floor. It is backed quite well made and follows the contours of the Jazz dashboard. I have not used the supplied fixers I had a 'sticky' mat which I cut pads from and the whole lot hasn't moved. As to the fit, all the vents are exposed by cut outs and all that can be critised is that it could do with being about 1" in old money shorter each side. BUT for around £15 including post it pretty good value.
There are some from USA at circa £75 to £100 plus customs and are probably made by the same people.

Thanks auntyneddy. :)

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2017, 02:14:21 PM »
We've had one of these dashboard mats for about 6 weeks now and although it doesn't look 'pretty' it is 100% effective., killing all glare and reflections from the windscreen. In fact its arrival was very timely as I had a one-day 320 mile round trip to do in blazing sunshine and there was no eye-strain or headaches. In fact a completely relaxed drive.

I haven't used the velcro pad either. The mat is just laid on the dashboard and hasn't shifted, although I could use some of that sort of 'webbed' non-slip mat underneath it if necessary.

Car was in the local garage just yesterday and the mechanic wanted to know where the dashboard cover had come from as he was after 'something like it' for himself.

What I have noticed is that we just 'don't notice' the mat any more, just being continually pleased by yhr complete lack of reflections and a lot clearer forward vision.

guest5079

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
My Wife  and I have just returned from a trip around Hereford and a bit of mid Wales.
At one point in a forest I actually saw a bit of reflection. It was of the n/s vent. So trying to be even handed NOT 100% just about 95%
WE had some atrocious weather and this is the only reflection I have seen.
As to keeping the screen clean, we amazed that in just a few days of motorway driving how dirty the screen got. ( Inside)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
As to keeping the screen clean, we amazed that in just a few days of motorway driving how dirty the screen got. ( Inside)

Sucking up all that diesel crap and blowing it up the screen  :-X
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything