Author Topic: EML and Fault Code P0638  (Read 5778 times)

guest4019

EML and Fault Code P0638
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend's 1.4SE Jazz went into limp home mode, accompanied by EML coming on. She described it as a "complete loss of power". Restarting the engine several times cleared the limp home mode, but the EML remained. Later that night, upon restarting the car the EML didn't come on.

All was then fine until today, when the same thing happened today on the motorway. My girlfriend was doing around 70, there was a definite jolt and the car lost all power. She restarted the car once on the hard shoulder, and, once again, the EML remained on but the power was restored. Once home, I scanned the car with my OBD2 reader and it revealed code P0638, which after a quick Google search appears to be related to the throttle body.

As the car was only bought a month ago, it is still under a standard dealer three month warranty (covering "all major parts"), however the dealer is over an hour away. My family and I have always gone to a local indy and their prices are fantastic (new DPF fitted to my focus for under £500!), so if the problem is fairly cheap then we'll just use the indy and forget about the warranty.

So my question is:
Is this going to be an expensive fix? Is it worth going through the warranty, considering all the fuel cost and any labour/parts not covered?

Thanks in advance!
Minnis

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: EML and Fault Code P0638
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
Take it back to the dealer they sold you a vehicle with a known fault - check they can actually rectify this matter while you wait

guest4019

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
The thing is, the dealer is over an hour away on the motorway. We'll need to take two cars there (to drive back in one) and then the reverse, which will add up to several hundred miles and a lot of wasted time. Plus we could only go at weekends. I'd also have to give my girlfriend a lift to and home from work. If we used the local garage, we'd be able to go in anytime we like: drop it off today, and pick it up as soon as its fixed. Plus if there's any additional costs even with the warranty (parts not covered etc) and our local Indy will probably be cheaper anyway.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
First of all I think you will find that under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act any faults that occur in the six months from the date of purchase are deemed to have been there when the vehicle was purchased and must be fixed by the selling dealer.
The selling dealer may agree to loaning your girl friend car while hers is repaired or covering the cost if the car is prepared at a garage more convenient to you.

Vic.

Tags:

anything