Author Topic: clicking noise when cold  (Read 1221 times)

honda18

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz
clicking noise when cold
« on: November 10, 2019, 01:40:06 PM »
Hi Folks Any ideas from members on this. Just bought a 2006 Sport with 65K on clock. Lovely little car but when cold and pulling away/accelerating i get this clicking noise. Had a major service done including valve clearance etc. Once car is fully warm the noise calms right down even though i think it is still there bur hardly noticeable. Anyone know what this is i have put system cleaner in the car to clean the injectors but no difference

many thanks 

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: clicking noise when cold
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 08:35:32 PM »

Could also be transmission/steering related, especially on hard lock, but again, once everything warms up it should sort itself out.

honda18

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 04:11:16 PM »
Thanks Martin

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 06:53:48 AM »
I have this. The clicking matching the engine speed?

I was in two minds about having the valve clearances done to see if it helped. However I was talked out of it on this forum as breaking the engine seal can cause more problems than it solves. As it hasn't helped yours I'm glad I didn't bother.

I'm still not entirely sure what causes this, but apart from the noise while cold my engine seems to run great. The car uses a small amount of oil (Maybe one top up required between oil changes).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 08:18:15 AM »
Sounds and uses oil just like my 2006. Before the last oil change (I change my oil every 12,000 miles) it was getting a little low and I only had 10w-40 in the garage (didn't want to open the new oil I had bought for my oil change). I put that in and it was a lot quieter, so your choice of oil makes a big difference. What grade do you use (I normally use 5w-30)?

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 08:54:19 PM »
I use 5W-30 as recommended on here. Maybe a slightly thicker oil is a better idea? Do you think it would reduce the oil use? (not that it's a big issue for me. One Top up between oil changes)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:30:41 PM »
This is from my vehicle manual, which came with the car.

All engines consume oil as part of their normal operation, therefore, the engine oil level must be checked regularly, for example when refuelling. Always check the oil before a long journey. The amount of oil consumed depends on how the vehicle is driven and the climatic and road conditions encountered. The rate of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 1,000 km/625 miles. Consumption is likely to be higher when the engine is new.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
Never had a Honda engine use any oil between changes,  despite my original 1.5 VTec-E Civic doing 190,000 miles - its emissions were better than when it was new and it still started when the key was 1/2 way round to the start position ( it knew I was turning the key and started anyway LOL ).  Only the bodywork going a bit around rear wheel arches ( and bodywork is expensive ) led me to part-ex it - but I would have happily fitted that same engine to another car and done another 190,000 - always used either Castrol or Mobil engine and gearbox oils and never used below 5W-30. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything