Author Topic: Honest Answers Required - Is the Mk3 better than the Mk2?  (Read 25863 times)

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Honest Answers Required - Is the Mk3 better than the Mk2?
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »
I have come across this "my make of car can do no wrong" point of view before. When I had my terminally unreliable Golf I posted in a VW/Audi Forum. I'd post that my ABS pump had failed (a common fault on the Mk5 Golf) and someone would post "Here we go again, more knocking VW." This was because I had also had the temerity to point out that my turbo was whining, both front springs had broken and I had an permanent dashboard rattle. In fact the car was so bad I took out a Warranty Direct guarantee when the used car warranty expired and I more than covered the premiums!

The best comment I got on the VW/Audi forum was "reliability isn't everything you know!!"

I take the view that the perfect car hasn't yet been made. As someone on their 5th Honda I reserve the right to point out any, fortunately few, weaknesses as I see them.

guest4871

« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »
It's probably in the manual! I don't remember checking it embarrassingly enough thinking it was a light sensor pure and simple.

If it was in the Mk2 manual then mine were faulty and should have been sorted under the warranty.

I can't find anything in the manual about MK2 auto lights coming on with auto wipers. I don't think mine do. I don't think the car was faulty. It's all a bit esoteric for me. Like most things these days it takes longer "to get it to work" than to just do it.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2018, 04:29:04 PM »
It's probably in the manual! I don't remember checking it embarrassingly enough thinking it was a light sensor pure and simple.

If it was in the Mk2 manual then mine were faulty and should have been sorted under the warranty.

I can't find anything in the manual about MK2 auto lights coming on with auto wipers. I don't think mine do. I don't think the car was faulty. It's all a bit esoteric for me. Like most things these days it takes longer "to get it to work" than to just do it.

Ain't that the truth and not just cars!

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2018, 04:35:25 PM »
If there was no little green ligts on indicator the "Oh the horror of having my lights on" brigade would have to find something else to complain about. Maybe a load of the auto wipers are rubbish posts.  :-)
I think I've just found something else to complain about: people who interpret legitimate comments as "complaints" when they're not really, and then think it's OK to deride the people making those comments. :o
Deeps doesn't like anyone to say anything bad. Mind you I'm surprised he hasn't yet chimed in to chide us all for comparing the different versions of the Jazz   ;D

There are good and poor parts of the Jazz. I will buy a 1.5 engined one to improve on the gutless 1.3 engine. I just don't get the problem some people have with their lights being on in daylight. I can assure you from a lorry drivers point of view an unlit car will disappear in a lorries spray on a fast road. A lorry squeezing you into the central barrier because the driver can't see you  makes it worth having your lights on.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:49:41 PM by Deeps »

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
If there was no little green ligts on indicator the "Oh the horror of having my lights on" brigade would have to find something else to complain about. Maybe a load of the auto wipers are rubbish posts.  :-)
I think I've just found something else to complain about: people who interpret legitimate comments as "complaints" when they're not really, and then think it's OK to deride the people making those comments. :o
Deeps doesn't like anyone to say anything bad. Mind you I'm surprised he hasn't yet chimed in to chide us all for comparing the different versions of the Jazz   ;D

There are good and poor parts of the Jazz. I will buy a 1.5 engined one to overcome poor aspect. I just don't get the problem some people have with their lights being on in daylight. I can assure you from a lorry drivers point of view an unlit car will disappear in a lorries spray on a fast road. A lorry squeezing you into the central barrier because the driver can't see you is makes it worth having your lights on.

My point, though, is that, on auto, the lights don't come on when they should. I'm just looking out of my window now, very dull and overcast but dry. On auto my lights will not come on - I can guarantee it but I'd be thinking about dipped headlights. If, however, the sun was out I can more or less guarantee the lights would come on. I am no expert but it seems to work on the angle of the sun - in short if the sun is shining but is low down in the sky, my headlights will come on. In dull dry weather they don't.

The only possible advantage I can see for the auto function is that, if it is actually dark, it will put the lights on. You see enough idiots driving in the dark with no lights to make this useful.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #125 on: March 21, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »
My point, though, is that, on auto, the lights don't come on when they should. I'm just looking out of my window now, very dull and overcast but dry. On auto my lights will not come on - I can guarantee it but I'd be thinking about dipped headlights. If, however, the sun was out I can more or less guarantee the lights would come on.
I think we largely agree on this. There have been times when both Mk2 and Mk3 have put their headlights on when it's not needed. It does happen most often early on bright mornings (so angle of the sun could be a factor) but I also once drove nearly two hundred miles on a beautiful Christmas day and the lights stayed on. Hence my suspicion that outside temperature could be a factor as it was a cloudless but very cold day.

I wouldn't expect them to come on when sunny unless it was early in the morning or perhaps very cold though.

However I don't think I'd ever say either version failed to put the lights on when needed (setting aside that the Mk2 ignored wiper activation). I don't personally bother with headlights just because it's a bit overcast. So probably you and I just have differing views on when lights are needed. I'd say 'almost never during the day unless it's raining or foggy'.

So overall I think the auto lights work reasonably well and just occasionally come on when it seems they aren't really needed. Although I've just thought that angle of the sun logic might be an attempt to improve visibility to oncoming drivers that might be half blinded by the sun.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:57:01 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
Maybe having a manual on override for the lights is an admission by Honda that the auto light system is not perfect and a little human intelligence my be required on occasion.

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2018, 04:56:42 PM »
And, of course, daytime running lights are a help in visibility terms (although only from the front).

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2018, 05:00:13 PM »
And, of course, daytime running lights are a help in visibility terms (although only from the front).

I believe that DRLs should include rear lights.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #129 on: March 21, 2018, 05:04:00 PM »

I drive pretty much everywhere now on dipped headlights,  don't mind doing it with LED bulbs as they will undoubtedly outlast the car and me.  Best thing about headlights being on is that rear lights are on as well.  IMHO the legislation for DRL was flawed as it did not include rear lights.   I have noticed a few fairly new vehicles recently with some of the LED in DRL cluster not working,  does not bode well as I bet they will have to pay for a complete new unit if too many fail and MOT time comes around.

DRL are an example of something that was introduced with the best intentions,  but now you get people too lazy to turn headlights (and rear lights) on even under pretty low visibility situations.  Seems the more safety features you put on cars the less attention people pay and the worse they drive.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:12:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
I believe that DRLs should include rear lights. DRLs are no substitute for headlights and are only of use in good visibility. Parking (side) lights are of no use on a moving vehicle.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:35:38 PM by Deeps »

peteo48

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »
Definitely agree that DRLs should include rear lights.

Tags:

anything