Author Topic: EV mode - can anyone help please?  (Read 7950 times)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Re: EV mode - can anyone help please?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 04:24:20 PM »
And, unless you have been doing a lot of high speed driving (or it's the middle of winter), at 400 miles it's only time to start thinking about when to refuel. The best I've managed so far is 546 miles between fill-ups but since I could only get 33.8 litres into the 40 litre tank, 600 miles between top-ups should be feasible. Not bad given the size of the fuel tankand if one has enough patience and drives at the right speed on a day with a tail wind then this record https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom/fuel-economy-record-attempt could be in jeopardy.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 04:38:51 PM »
And, unless you have been doing a lot of high speed driving (or it's the middle of winter), at 400 miles it's only time to start thinking about when to refuel. The best I've managed so far is 546 miles between fill-ups but since I could only get 33.8 litres into the 40 litre tank, 600 miles between top-ups should be feasible. Not bad given the size of the fuel tankand if one has enough patience and drives at the right speed on a day with a tail wind then this record https://www.theaa.com/about-us/newsroom/fuel-economy-record-attempt could be in jeopardy.

Try driving everywhere at 40mph like the AA drivers did...
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 06:26:19 PM »
But that was in a last generation Jazz, wonder how they will do in the new one?

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 07:45:31 PM »
...except at high speed when direct engine drive takes over.

Nope. At high speed, it powers the generator which powers the electrical engine. No direct drive ever.

Edit : or transitions are so smooth it just feels like it, anyway.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12540.msg91463#msg91463

I am very wary of EV cars recharging problems until the batteries are capable of much quicker recharging.

Might happen anytime soon.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/19/electric-car-batteries-race-ahead-with-five-minute-charging-times

Depending on the battery pack price and power charge requirements, we could have hybrids with a much more larg EV autonomy than the meager few miles we get today. And still have a range extender petrol engine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:01:46 PM by Foksadure »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »
Nope. At high speed, it powers the generator which powers the electrical engine. No direct drive ever.
There is direct drive when cruising at above about 70km/h.

See the video here https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12712.0 for an explanation of how the system works.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 08:29:05 PM »
...except at high speed when direct engine drive takes over.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12540.msg91463#msg91463

Wrong!
Fast forward the video to around 16 minutes and you will find, the engine does indeed drive the vehicle directly at speeds above 45mph plus if necessary the electric motor as well.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 08:59:09 PM »
Don't need to point out this vid again, it's all over the place already.  :P

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12540.msg91275#msg91275

Okay, the ICE is "sometimes" driving the wheels (at constant speed). But it does not feel at like a regular car since once the vehicle needs more power, the clutch disengages and the engine revs up way beyond it would if it was runing at fixed ratio.

So I rest my case: most of the time, the e:HEV Jazz feels like an EV that would happen to run on petrol.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 09:21:25 PM »
On the graphic, whenever travelling steadily at speed, I often see a cog icon appear between the engine and the wheels. Does this icon represent the direct drive does anyone know?  I think it does?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 10:02:00 PM »
According to the video, the ICE engine is connected directly to the output drive, from 62mph right up to the cars maximum speed, with the electric motor assisting as required.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 10:44:12 PM »
Depending on the battery pack price and power charge requirements, we could have hybrids with a much more larg EV autonomy than the meager few miles we get today. And still have a range extender petrol engine.

Yes but it’s a question of battery weight, size and cost. If/when battery technology advances so that the battery pack is cheaper, holds more power and is lighter than existing batteries then my ideal will be an almost EV with ICE backup.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 11:28:43 PM »
If you want to have the best of both worlds at the moment a PHEV is the answer. Pure electric when needed and petrol when you run out of charge. Honda at present don"t yet sell one of these in UK.
I'm sure many of you know that most PHEV's run as a normal Hybrid when charge has depleted but even then on many cars you can recharge the battery with the ICE without plugging in although that may not always be very efficient. At the moment you maybe lucky to get 25 to 40 miles on EV depending on the car, though with more efficient batteries this may be extended in the future hopefully.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2021, 07:07:27 AM »
The other way to go is the range extender, eCity range-extender technology, as used by the latest black cabs.
These run 100% EV but have an ICE that can charge the battery and supply electrical power to the traction motor (or a mixture of both).
The EV range is 63 miles (WLTP) but with 317 miles with the eCity range-extender. You then have to refuel as a normal ICE vehicle. The battery is then recharged overnight as a normal EV.

https://www.levc.com/technology/ecity-technology/

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2021, 09:25:27 AM »

Yes but it’s a question of battery weight, size and cost. If/when battery technology advances so that the battery pack is cheaper, holds more power and is lighter than existing batteries then my ideal will be an almost EV with ICE backup.
A small car will travel roughly 4 miles per kWh of battery capacity.  Unless it's a plug-in, all the energy comes from the petrol, so there's no great advantage in having a bigger capacity battery.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »
Unless it's a plug-in, all the energy comes from the petrol, so there's no great advantage in having a bigger capacity battery.
The advantage is you can drive longer in pure EV mode which is what was being talked about.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
Unless it's a plug-in, all the energy comes from the petrol, so there's no great advantage in having a bigger capacity battery.
The advantage is you can drive longer in pure EV mode which is what was being talked about.

With electric drive you can recover energy that the brakes would normally absorb,  I assume all modern cars with some form of electrical drive can direct regenerated power back to the battery.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything