Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 36212 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2021, 08:47:21 AM »
How easy is it to adapt to using the eCVT transmission for someone who has only ever used manual transmission. I have a MK3 at the moment which is manual and my two previous Jazz were also manual.
I never found it a problem. My first real taste of an auto was in California in 1986. I had a hire car for a fortnight. The issue was quite the reverse. On my final day there, I drove a manual Corvette and tried to stop without using the clutch. I have since had 25 years driving automatics until reverting to my manual Jazz. A retrograde step, I might add.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2021, 10:07:06 AM »
How easy is it to adapt to using the eCVT transmission for someone who has only ever used manual transmission. I have a MK3 at the moment which is manual and my two previous Jazz were also manual.
Did it take some time to get used to it, and is it an improvement over the manual transmission.
Thanks.

I drive a CVT Mark2 Jazz  - switched from a manual. Took about 5 mins.

I also drive my wife's manual Yaris.. no switch over issues.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2021, 10:46:06 AM »
I can’t drive a manual for toffee anymore...

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2021, 12:17:03 PM »
The first automatic I drove was a colleague’s Granada which had a wide brake pedal. Emergency braking initially resulted in me stamping both feet on this pedal, but fortunately we were wearing sear belts!  I had no problem hanging from a manual Mk2 Jazz to a CVT  Mk3.  My wife was a bit nervous driving it at first, but now can’t understand why we hadn’t changed years ago.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »
They are just so much more comfy. I can have my seat further back not having a clutch to floor.

As I said a while ago, my first auto drive was my bosses Austin 2200 and I took to it like a duck to water and I've been buying autos ever since.

What I won't get is an automated manual like DSG or Powershift. Unreliable and a pig at parking speeds.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2021, 02:23:19 PM »
I can’t drive a manual for toffee anymore...

You can get toffee delivered  ;D 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #216 on: March 16, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the braking effect is like, using the 'B' mode?
Is it equal to changing down a couple of gears when descending a steep hill?

On one of my regular journeys there is 1 in 6 hill, on which I normally flick the paddles on my CVT to change down a couple of 'gears' whilst descending. Engine revs rise to circa 3500rpm, but hold the car back substantially, without any braking being necessary.

Perhaps I'm from the old school and such procedures are not required nowadays?

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #217 on: March 16, 2021, 02:19:23 PM »
Pretty much. B mode is more for ex-EV drivers like me, and folks who are obsessed with efficiency. Try it, if you like it keep it. It’s personal preference.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #218 on: March 16, 2021, 02:24:06 PM »
Yeah it’s personal preference. I tend to use it on roads with lots of speed humps and roundabouts. Instead of me speeding up and keep braking for them, I just release the throttle so it slows to 10-15mph to go over nicely.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #219 on: March 16, 2021, 08:56:07 PM »
The one gearbox I will not be getting is DSG. The failure and replacement cost is high. The other thing with DSG is slow speed manoeuvring like parallel parking or reversing into a garage. It's not a smooth manoeuvre but a series of kangaroo hops.

DSG is make or break so you can't drive slowly, pseudo clutch slip. I drove one and it was horrendous. When they were a wet clutch design they were manageable but the later dry clutch models ...... no

I was glad to see Ford have dropped their DSG ala PowerShift as it was proving unreliable and a couple of mass class action lawsuits are pending.
Sorry but I'm afraid I have to disagree with everything you say about DSG. I have had 8 Skodas, Fabia, 3 Yetis, Kodiaq and 3 Karoqs. ALL DSG. Absolutely faultless, not jerky, you can drive it slowly. Superbly easy to park.
All I can assume is that you had a bad one. Pity you didn't  take it up with your dealer.
'Karoq'. Moderator Kodiaq  & Karoq forums.
There are various models of the DSG and one was a bit troublesome at very high mileages.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

foxleys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybid EX 2021
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2021, 10:06:58 PM »
Not true with a Skoda Octavia Diesel DSG, I had from 2009 for 2 years.

It would hesitate at junctions, sometimes for a few seconds.

This resulted in 2 people rear ending my car.

I will never but a VAG group car again.

Others faults with this car, the radio/cd failed during warranty, I had to wait over a year for a replacement.

Bulbs kept blowing.

The black film on the window switches rubbed off when it was about 18 months old, Skoda didn’t fix.

Plus other faults.
Got rid after very soon. It had only done about 20k miles, when I got rid.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:40 PM »
And you’re sure you didn’t just have auto hold turned on? ;)

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2021, 10:26:36 PM »
I have to agree with Karoq, I have had 3 Skoda’s with DSG boxes and they have all been excellent. The first was a diesel Octavia (2005) then a Yeti (2012) and finally another Yeti (2017). The DSG boxes got better and better as model and development progressed overall time. I have never found them jerky or hesitant and none of them have had any problems whatsoever. Great vehicles and great customer service from Skoda - I only wish Honda(UK) customer service was half as good!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #223 on: March 17, 2021, 04:50:34 AM »
We all have our own likes and dislikes and I accept that the DSG experience has been good for them.

For me, I will never buy any form of automated manual again. I also had some road rage incidents when setting off from lights when it would hesitate and drivers behind thought I was being deliberately awkward taking my foot off the power.

I'm drawn towards the Jazz because according to reports here it has a pseudo torque converter style of slow creeping so I will be able to reverse park in my garage, like I do now, by just applying and releasing the brake pedal.

With the DSG I had, by touching the brake pedal to slow down it cut drive completely and you stopped. To start moving again you had to touch the throttle, which set you off at a speed like taking your foot off the clutch so the speed was engine idle direct drive and far too fast for threading into a garage.

The end result was reverse garage parking was an annoying kangarooing manoevre.
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2021, 09:47:55 AM »
Removed by Admin

@Karoq VAG DSG issues are very well documented. All manufacturers and cars have their issues for sure, and I am pleased you have had positive experience, but " ALL DSG. Absolutely faultless" ?? 
https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=1ctRYMHoJYr0gQavlpHwBw&q=dsg+problems&oq=+dsg+problems&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIFCAAQkQIyBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB46BwgAEEcQsANQn_kPWJ_5D2DgjhBoAXACeACAAViIAaoBkgEBMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=gws-wiz
Next you'll be telling us the CCZA engine is ubreakable, timing chains were VAG's finest hour and EA189 didn't happen!  :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 11:38:58 AM by RichardA »

Tags: