Author Topic: Intelligent Speed Limiter  (Read 11680 times)

Pixie

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz 1.3i se cvt
Intelligent Speed Limiter
« on: June 07, 2019, 09:49:10 PM »
Hi, I’ve just purchased a 2016 Honda Jazz1.3 i vtec SE Auto.
I love it... but don’t understand how to use the intelligent speed limiter or which icon to put on to use it. I have tried reading the handbook but I’m still confused. Could anyone explain it to me please. Many thanks 🤔

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Intelligent Speed Limiter
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:26:20 PM »
Personally I wouldn’t bother because the sign recognition simply isn’t good enough for a safety-related use like this. Be aware that if the car thinks you’ve passed a sign which reduces the limit, you will get an alarm sounding in the cabin and the car will stop responding to the throttle.

However if you really want to, then you use the group of buttons on the right side of the steering wheel.
First, tap “Main”.
Now tap the”Lim” button on the left side of the group of four until you see the right icon; it will cycle through the three settings for cruise control, the normal limiter, and the intelligent limiter.
Now tap the “Set” button at the bottom of the group of four.
You should see the speed limit set at top right of the display, opposite the icon. It will change as you pass different signs. If it doesn’t kick in, that might be because it hasn’t seen a speed limit sign recently so it doesn’t know what the limit is for that bit of road.

Pixie

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz 1.3i se cvt
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 10:40:12 PM »
Hi, thanks ColinB for your reply, could you tell me if the ‘lim’ icon for the intelligent is the one with the ‘lollipop’ besides the lim or the one that just says ‘lim’. Hope that makes sense.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
I have tried it occasionally, but not bothered with it.

I drive up and down the A38 quite frequently, and near Alrewas there is a 30mph service road next to the main dual carriageway. The 30 sign for service road is right next to the 70 mph dual carriageway and the Jazz camera always picks up on it.

Apart from that I don't like that it limits you to somewhat less than speed limit because of the conservative speedo reading. You can nudge this but the setting is not persistent.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 10:52:07 PM »
Hi, thanks ColinB for your reply, could you tell me if the ‘lim’ icon for the intelligent is the one with the ‘lollipop’ besides the lim or the one that just says ‘lim’. Hope that makes sense.

Intelligent is the one with the lollipop.

csp

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Average 63 mpg
  • My Honda: Platinum White Jazz e:HEV SR 2020
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 06:56:00 AM »
I use the so called Intelligent limiter most of the time and sometimes the other limiter. The speed limit sign reading picks up limit the sign on a side road and often there are no signs at the end of 20 mph zones so the driver still has to over ride the limiter that is when I woudl switch to the other limiter and set the limit manually.

The intelligent limiter has sometimes even seen an Esso sign and set the limiter to 50 mph so it is not that intelligent but just a driving aid. The limiter will not slow the car to the set limit when going down hill as it is just has control of throttle contol.

I do not like using cruise control as I do not feel I am then fully in control of the car.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
I find this amazing piece of complex software to be an excellent aid to my driving.  In no way is it infallible and therefore should never be used over your own driving skills, as I am sure a magistrate would agree, but it may just save one speeding through lack of concentration, as I am sure we all suffer from time to time.  I used it on my Jazz for the entire time I owned it and now continue to use it on my HR-V.

It does have a few quirks:

I drive on one stretch of road where tracked military are limited to 20 in an otherwise 40 zone.  It thinks I am driving a tank.

Another stretch of 30 zone road runs parallel with a railway line and it is happy that I try to keep up with the train by reading the 60 sign at the side of the railway.

I also find that low sunshine and sometimes rain effect the ability to read the signs.

There are two annoying features that I have found.  Firstly when you indicate and turn (down a side road at 90 degrees for example), the system will cancel.  This only happens if you indicate and turn so is obviously intentional.  I cant see the logic in this.

And secondly, when you stop the engine and restart it (maybe at the end of a journey), it does not remember the limit that you were last in.  Therefore if you start your journey in a 30, which I suspect is in the majority of cases, then it will not be functional until you pass a speed limit sign.

The only other sign mine has ever identified is a "no overtaking" sign.  I would be interested to know what other peoples cars have recognised.

To sum up, I think it is quite amazing that it works at all, given the complex task it is expected to do and it is one of those features that you will love or hate and must make an individual choice on whether to use it or not.  But as with other gadgets that have been discussed on these forums.  You are the driver and it is up to you to stay within the law.

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 03:09:50 PM »
My intelligent speed limiter is a combination of cruise control, speedometer and right foot. ;D

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »
My intelligent speed limiter is a combination of cruise control, speedometer and right foot. ;D
A vocal occupant of the passenger seat can be quite effective in my experience!

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 02:04:16 PM »
I’ve had a week and 300 miles with my car and have been using the intelligent speed limiter most of the time.
It works well most of the time, but I hate the “what the hell is wrong” feeling when it won’t accelerate.

It seems better at higher speeds. In 20mph limits it’s over aggressive, dropping the speed down to an indicated 17 or 18 mph. I’m sure it does the same thing in 30 and 40 mph zones, but it’s annoying noticeable at 20 and I’m conscious of how drivers behind may react.

I have my finger hovering over the cancel button in 20 zones now, but I intend to keep using it. It may just save me a speeding ticket one day.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »
It seems better at higher speeds. In 20mph limits it’s over aggressive, dropping the speed down to an indicated 17 or 18 mph. I’m sure it does the same thing in 30 and 40 mph zones, but it’s annoying noticeable at 20
If you are worried about that, you can always add up to 5mph by using the +button. Personally I don't bother.
I’m conscious of how drivers behind may react.
You're doing them a favour.
It may just save me a speeding ticket one day.
And the drivers behind :)

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 03:32:34 PM »
I think I’m going to re-evaluate 20mph over the next few days.
Thinking about it, I’ve always attempted to stick to the speed limit at 30mph and above. I’m not claiming I never drift higher, but not intentionally which is where this limiter really helps.
For 20mph I’ve, wrongly, developed a mindset that about 25mph is close enough, so maybe I’m not being fair to it. Perhaps I just need to get used to how slow a constant 20mph is.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 03:43:14 PM »
There are miles of 20 mph zones around here (half the centre of Edinburgh) and I stick to 20 as indicated by my GPS speedometer (approx 22 on the Honda speedo) and it is SLOW. Really pi$$es other drivers off but it is the law and there are cameras and camera vans all over Edinburgh.
Good thing about the GPS speedometer is it ties in with the camera speed display signs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 03:54:59 PM »
How does the intelligent speed limiter deal with variable speed limits that most of our motorways have these days,  where the speed is displayed on overhead gantry ?

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/953560/smart-motorway-fine-camera-UK-speed-limit
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 04:02:13 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 04:18:26 PM »
How does the intelligent speed limiter deal with variable speed limits that most of our motorways have these days,  where the speed is displayed on overhead gantry ?

It reads the sign whether it's overhead or at the side of the road.

Tags:

anything