Author Topic: Engine oil levels  (Read 16668 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Engine oil levels
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »
Yes, it's due to oil sloshing up the bores and small amounts getting past the rings.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2019, 03:47:36 PM »
Just carried out a under bonnet check on a 2008 VW polo and noticed this wording on oil filler cap:
To avoid damage to catalytic converter oil must not exceed maximum mark
Interesting, never seen that before.

Most decent engine oils these days are CAT friendly as they are low sulphur and low ash..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »
Unburnt low SAPS oil or vapours forced past the rings will still damage the cat.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2019, 08:36:05 PM »
So many posts on the oil level for a Jazz. The car on level ground after a few minutes has to have the level on the dipstick between min and max. End of. If the sump has been drained on level ground then it is 3.6 litres to fill. Not difficult.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2019, 08:54:45 PM »
So many posts on the oil level for a Jazz. The car on level ground after a few minutes has to have the level on the dipstick between min and max. End of. If the sump has been drained on level ground then it is 3.6 litres to fill. Not difficult.

As I said previously I tip the whole 4 litres in and never had slightest problem despite covering a lot of miles.  Too much worrying about small things.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »

As I said previously I tip the whole 4 litres in and never had slightest problem despite covering a lot of miles.  Too much worrying about small things.

Well, I tipped 4 litres in, and it came exactly to the max mark...

3.6 litres just doesn't cut it  ;)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2019, 08:07:43 AM »

Well, I tipped 4 litres in, and it came exactly to the max mark...

3.6 litres just doesn't cut it  ;)

I wonder if 'correct volume of oil' is designed to be halfway between min and max level on dipstick ? My level is always about 5mm above max mark. But then, I often add another 200 or 300 ml of molyslip or liqui moly, I also put the max 2% of moly in my motorbike ( wet clutch ) which is 60ml in 2.8 litres.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 08:26:29 AM by culzean »

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
Having done twice yearly oil changes for the last 10 years on my jazz I can say definitely it's exactly 3.6 litres up to the max mark.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2019, 07:16:12 PM »
Having done twice yearly oil changes for the last 10 years on my jazz I can say definitely it's exactly 3.6 litres up to the max mark.

Well, mine and Jocko's doesn't appear to be!

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
I guessing you're not letting it drain completely. I leave it approximately 15 minutes and get on with something else whilst draining.........

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2019, 08:37:45 PM »

Well, mine and Jocko's doesn't appear to be!
Mine takes 3.6 litres. You just have to leave it standing for a while to let the fresh oil percolate through to fill the last bit of the sump

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »
I guessing you're not letting it drain completely. I leave it approximately 15 minutes and get on with something else whilst draining.........

Well, this will only be the second oil change performed on the Jazz since we acquired it, but I have done a few oil changes before...  ;)

Surely I would get less than 3.6 litres in if it hadn't drained completely?

Mine takes 3.6 litres. You just have to leave it standing for a while to let the fresh oil percolate through to fill the last bit of the sump

My apologies Jocko, I misread your reply earlier and thought you were concurring.

It never went over the max mark, but it wet the mark. I'm still thinking those alledgedly 1L bottles were short fills... diddled!

As I say, I'll measure the bugger this time.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
I checked oil levels today in Jazz and Civic and thought it would be a good idea to take a photo of the oil level on dipsticks. Jazz is the black one and oil does not show up very well,  because it is flat it is easy to show a smear of oil on a white piece of paper, the holes are not very visible though so i superimposed a couple of yellow dots on photo.

Civic is the orange one and because it is round and it necks down just after hatched bit so it was a bit of a problem to show level on the paper behind it, so I put a piece of grass across where oil comes to.

My levels have always been round about this in all cars,  as I said I just throw the whole 4 litres in and maybe then another 200 to 300ml of molyslip or liqimoly.

Despite doing extended mileages in I have never blown a crankshaft seal or had oil get into the CAT and blow it up.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2019, 10:42:41 AM »
I checked oil levels today in Jazz and Civic and thought it would be a good idea to take a photo of the oil level on dipsticks. Jazz is the black one and oil does not show up very well,  because it is flat it is easy to show a smear of oil on a white piece of paper, the holes are not very visible though so i superimposed a couple of yellow dots on photo.

Civic is the orange one and because it is round and it necks down just after hatched bit so it was a bit of a problem to show level on the paper behind it, so I put a piece of grass across where oil comes to.

My levels have always been round about this in all cars,  as I said I just throw the whole 4 litres in and maybe then another 200 to 300ml of molyslip or liqimoly.

Despite doing extended mileages in I have never blown a crankshaft seal or had oil get into the CAT and blow it up.

So, my wife brought me a brew, and asked what was so interesting on my laptop.

"I'm just checking out pictures of oil levels on a couple of dipsticks", says I in all innocence. The look was priceless,....

It was like a throwaway line on Have I Got News For You!

Considering we are discussing oil consumption, on a vehicle that generally doesn't burn any between services; well.......

Happy Days....Enjoying the forum.     Dave.

Country Cousin

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 4 X
Re: Engine oil levels - dependent on measuring technique?
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2019, 08:52:21 PM »
Whenever I checked the oil level on our Mk3 Jazz since new, even immediately after dealer service, the oil level always looked high on the dipstick. I thought this was because I was not wiping the dipstick properly or not leaving it long enough after driving.

But recently I was chatting with a friend about how much oil to put in our Honda lawnmower. This also looked overfilled despite using the correct amount of oil according to the instruction book.

Being familiar with Honda agricultural machinery, my friend told me ‘when checking the oil on Honda engines the dipstick is only re-inserted to the detent position, not to the hilt’.

On checking, this does indeed appear to be the case on both our Honda lawnmower AND the Jazz - despite it not specifically saying this in the car handbook. And using this modified technique is certainly quicker and easier.

It seems I may have been inadvertently checking the oil incorrectly for three years.

Have others found this or am I going mad and this is just a fluke on our car and mower?

Tags:

anything