Author Topic: Jazz 2008 Rear window washer jet not working!!!  (Read 17995 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Jazz 2008 Rear window washer jet not working!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
The spray jet could be blocked (try a pin poked into nozzle), there is also a spring loaded non-return valve in the pipe above rear tailgate to stop fluid draining back into bottle and emptying the pipe (I had to replace this on a MK1 Jazz,  Halfords do an inline valve which fits) - this can stick closed and not let fluid through 'the right way'.  Other than that the pipe can freeze up.  Last resort will be to check the pump,  the impeller may be loose or broken so that although motor is turning its not pumping anything.

PS - I found that with the jet facing straight down the screen (as it is shipped from factory) when you use rear washer most of the fluid just runs down rear window and onto tailgate without doing much,  what I did on our Jazzes was to angle the top jet across the screen at about 45deg this means the washer fluid stays on the screen and the wiper blade picks it up on the way across (from memory the nut holding jet is 10mm across flats, only needs slackening off slightly to allow jet to rotate -   be careful not to over-tighten as it is only plastic and will strip or snap off).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 08:39:52 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

how2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4SE sport 2004
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »
Poked the jet with a pin, all clean.

how2

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 02:52:58 PM »
Can some one tell me which parts to look at from this diagram.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SAA401&block_02=B__1500&block_03=20235&block_05=hcr

click the image to make it bigger

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 03:00:20 PM »
Can some one tell me which parts to look at from this diagram.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SAA401&block_02=B__1500&block_03=20235&block_05=hcr

click the image to make it bigger

I guess it depends what part you are looking for - go on ! - give us a clue - do you still have a problem with washers
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

how2

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 07:06:40 PM »
culzean

I have checked for dirt in the washer none found. The motor seems to be working but no spray. There must be a boocage or a leak. Over the weekend I will swapped the pipes round from the front washer punmp and rear, to cheak if it's not a moter problem.

What should I do if it still does not work?

Is it easy to take out the motors?
Do I need to check the fuse box?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:08:25 PM by how2 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »
If you get a noise from the pump when operating the switch then the fuse is ok.  The pumps are mounted under the washer bottle,  when I have checked pumps I take drivers side front wheel off and remove front part of plastic wheel arch liner,  the pumps are easy to replace because electric supply is on a plug and tube will pull off.

Some people use the technique of putting a tube (or just your mouth, but not such a good idea with all the gunge on the back of your car) over the nozzle and blowing air back down to try to dislodge any blockage,  this may have limited success on rear washer because there should be a non-return valve in the pipe,  if this valve is stuck open it will allow washer fluid to drain back to bottle and it can take a while for fluid to get back to nozzle when you operate washer,  if it is stuck closed it will stop fluid anyway.  The non-return valve should be accessible along top edge of tailgate when you lift tailgate fully you will see a tube running to washer nozzle, valve is an inline plastic whatnot.

While you are doing this I would replace headlight bulb.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:10:26 AM by culzean »

how2

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 05:00:05 PM »
Can yopu upload photos here?
water is coming out of the hose but the nozzle looks bent.
When I mean bent, the nozzle is not at a right angle but straight with a slight bend.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 05:05:55 PM by how2 »

how2

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 06:40:35 PM »
It there some sort of diaphragm is the nozzle?

I can feel it move.

The fluid comes out when the nozzle is not attached.

Where can I get a cheap Nozzle from

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
they may have replaced the inline non-return valve with a flap of some kind in the nozzle housing to stop fluid draining back to tank all the time.

how2

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 10:07:55 PM »
Here is the Nozzle

Can someone tell me if this is correct the tube goes into the nozzle and the rubber boot covers the nut.

Where can I purchase a replacement nozzle? Honda charges £15.

Does anyone live in london, so I can see if the Nozzle works on your cars then I will know if it's the nozzle problem or the Motor. My MOT is up at the end of this month. This is automatic failure.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:37:31 PM by how2 »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 10:35:36 AM »
I would expect the water to come out when you remove the nozzle because if the pressure is low the hole in the nozzle is small and the pipe is quite big,  can you check pressure by squeezing the tube and see how far it squirts?  Could still be a failing pump but other than ripping the under arch guarding off and swapping pipe between front and rear pumps there is no easy way to check,  if you are going to the trouble to do that you may as well buy the pump first and change it anyway.    If it is an automatic MOT fail then try the cheapest / least amount of work option first.

One good reason for keeping a decent quality washer additive in the system is that it can stop algae and other nasty stuff growing in the system,  which can block stuff up, also if you can use soft water to fill the washer bottle it keeps the limescale out as well which can block jets just like it blocks your shower-head at home.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
Where can I purchase a replacement nozzle? Honda charges £15.  Does anyone live in london, so I can see if the Nozzle works on your cars then I will know if it's the nozzle problem or the Motor. My MOT is up at the end of this month. This is automatic failure.

I've just checked the MOT manual and it seems that wipers and washer checks only apply to the windscreen.
Section 8.2 Page 178.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles. 

I'm in London next week (next to Tower Bridge outside CC zone) but if you can wait till the last week of the month I could post you one, although something like this should be v.cheap from any of the breakers selling parts on eBay.  The nozzle might might be repairable by soaking in bleach or hot water.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

how2

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »
Where can I purchase a replacement nozzle? Honda charges £15.  Does anyone live in london, so I can see if the Nozzle works on your cars then I will know if it's the nozzle problem or the Motor. My MOT is up at the end of this month. This is automatic failure.

I've just checked the MOT manual and it seems that wipers and washer checks only apply to the windscreen.
Section 8.2 Page 178.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles. 

I'm in London next week (next to Tower Bridge outside CC zone) but if you can wait till the last week of the month I could post you one, although something like this should be v.cheap from any of the breakers selling parts on eBay.  The nozzle might might be repairable by soaking in bleach or hot water.
--
TG

Thanks TG for your kind offer was going to take you up on the offer.

On monday had MOT and passed, they did not chack rear washer Thanks culzean for you information.

Anyway before that I took out the jet and tried to blow air through it with my mouth and it work then I soaked it in WD40 and stuck a cocktail stick in both end and moved some sort of diaphram. Then tried to blow with my mouth but did not work. The I went to poundland and bought a air duster and blow it and worked.

Then I put it back on my car at a slight angle and it did not work. This was over 2 weeks ago. Today  TG i was going to take you up on that offer, so tried it again today and sods law it WORKED :o.

Yes I do not know why but i'm happy :) 

Vulcanspotter

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2019, 09:53:16 PM »
Hi there, not sure if you said if it was for a mk1 or mk2.

However my, mk1 front washer packed up after not using the car a few months. Same thing, no noise.

Turned out to be the washer motor (probably original part), checked to see if it was the pump first by swapping the rubber tubing over to rear washer pump and this was working with water squirting out fine on the windscreen.

You can under a screw under the bottom front of the wheel arch and then undo one or two poppers, not sure how many, not all of the wheel arch has to be removed to get access to the washer area. Yes there is one reservoir to supply two pumps, see photo, Black is new front pump.

Got this front ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161778925204?ul_noapp=true.
Its cheap, but as its not a safety critical item if it fails buy another one. Got a quote from Honda Dealership, part retails at about £40.00.

Did the replacement pump from ebay work ok

Tags:

anything