Author Topic: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?  (Read 201627 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What MPG are you getting from your Mk1 Honda Jazz ?
« Reply #420 on: September 07, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »
I could improve my mpg if I wasn't such a lazy sh^te, and walked to my local Lidl instead of driving.
Today, after one such shopping trip, I checked my figures for today (ScanGauge E).
Distance travelled 0.6 miles
Today's mpg 26.2
Maximum speed 24 mph
Average speed 9 mph
Cost £0.13

The blue light hadn't even gone out. And that is car out of garage, lock garage door, stop at supermarket, do shop, back to garage, open garage door, car back in.

At least now I am not having my Monday to Friday double 3.6 mile trips, to take my wife to and from her work, as she is currently off ill.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #421 on: September 17, 2019, 07:13:19 AM »
Well, it wasn't the change of fuel that improved my mpg. It dropped back to the usual 43 ish with Asda's finest but another tank of BP made no difference.
As it happens I've been running over to Manchester a lot, about 100 miles round trip. I got over 50 mpg once but last Sunday 45 odd.
So I can only think it's to do with crud somewhere in the emissions control moving about.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #422 on: September 18, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
My most recent top up certainly makes it look as if 97 octane makes a difference to mpg. If it wasn't for the first two figures being great as well I would be totally convinced. I'll see what happens when the weather changed, before changing back to 95 octane.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #423 on: September 29, 2019, 12:23:18 PM »
A big disappointment when I filled up with petrol this morning. Only 59.9 mpg! I have gotten used to the 60+ numbers for the previous half dozen fill ups.
Last Saturday kind of knocked the stuffing out of my numbers, after taking an hour to crawl 2.5 miles, to pass a non-accident on the Edinburgh City Bypass. My wife said she couldn't even see any damage to the two cars, sitting with the police, on the hard shoulder.
Then at noon I had to run her and her daughter, into the city centre, with numerous light controlled road works in either direction.
Neither event conducive to brilliant mpg.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #424 on: September 29, 2019, 01:50:08 PM »
A big disappointment when I filled up with petrol this morning. Only 59.9 mpg! I have gotten used to the 60+ numbers for the previous half dozen fill ups.

Are you still on the 97 octane Jocko?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #425 on: September 29, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
Yes. That is now nine tankfuls. My mother-in-law is buying my petrol, while we run back and forward to attend to her, and she can afford it!
As an aside. I passed the Shell station yesterday, and their bog standard, 95 octane, Fuelsave petrol was 10p/litre dearer than the local Morrisons and Asda. That is 45p/gallon dearer or about £3 on my normal tankful. For 95 octane!

Dolph

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 04 Jazz 1.4 iDsi; 58 Jazz 1.4iDsi
« Reply #426 on: October 18, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
Hi all, glad to be in this forum. Some of you have awesome mpg. It's also important to specify which Jazz mkl you have. I've both pre and post 2006 facelift, 04 plate is giving me 5-6mpg better difference then 58 plate. The later model is a bit heavier with larger wheel/tyre size. Both have the same engine, transmission etc.
04 plate 47-53mpg on board computer, 45-47 real mpg at the pump.
58 plate 42-47mpg on board computer, around 43-44 real mpg at the pump.
Both running on recommended tyre pressure with 95 Ron petrol.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #427 on: October 18, 2019, 01:43:27 PM »
Last Saturday kind of knocked the stuffing out of my numbers, after taking an hour to crawl 2.5 miles, to pass a non-accident on the Edinburgh City Bypass. My wife said she couldn't even see any damage to the two cars, sitting with the police, on the hard shoulder.
Then at noon I had to run her and her daughter, into the city centre, with numerous light controlled road works in either direction.
Neither event conducive to brilliant mpg.

Indeed. I have a massive variation between my worst ever and best ever mpg figures over 6 years of owning Jazzes. My best is a tad over 57 on my present car but I've been down to 33. Largely because my driving mix is mostly supermarket/grandchild errands with occasional epic trip to Cornwall and/or Scotland. The weather massively influential as well.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #428 on: October 18, 2019, 01:53:33 PM »
Welcome Dolph. I have the ScanGauge fitted and it records Tank, Day and Current Trip simultaneous. I know it is just an indication, but on a short shopping trip midweek it displayed 19.2 mpg for the day!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #429 on: October 20, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »
First top up after reverting back to 95 octane and I achieved 59.9 mpg. Not bad considering the huge drop in temperature, wet roads and a regular extra passenger. I am getting 440 - 450 miles before fuel warning light comes on.
All my fuel figures are calculated (Fuelly.com), not from the dashboard display (it reckoned 62.1 this tankful).

Dolph

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 04 Jazz 1.4 iDsi; 58 Jazz 1.4iDsi
« Reply #430 on: October 22, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
Jocko, your fuel consumption sounds great. Yesterday I filled to the top literally, drove 22 miles after the light when on. MPG on the dash board 46,2, traveled distance 322 miles, filled 33,10l to the fuel cap. Fuel consumption 6,4l/100km, keep in mind most driving is on motorway with 70mph.
P.S. It's so frustrating with so much fuel left in the tank for the warning fuel light to go on.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #431 on: October 22, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »
The tank has a 42 litre capacity, so quite a bit left when the  light comes on. Most of my driving is dual carriageway/motorway, but I drive at an indicated 60 mph, which makes a difference to fuel use. My normal journey is Kirkcaldy to the end of the Edinburgh City Bypass, and return. Going on wind resistance alone, 70 against 60 uses approx a third more fuel (not really as simple as that but a good indication).

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #432 on: October 31, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
Fuel figures tumbling in line with the temperature. I think the tarmac temperature makes a huge difference. After a 120 mile, 4 hour drive, when the car was thoroughly warmed up, it still doesn't coast as well as it does in the summer. Whether in gear or in neutral, it still slows down much sooner than it does in the warm weather. I have my known coasting spots so I know it is not just a figment of my imaginations. I even checked the tyre pressures to confirm I didn't have a soft tyre. Mind you, perhaps they don't increase as much as in the warm weather, but after 120 miles you would think they would.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #433 on: October 31, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
On tyres, just done my monthly check. All pressures about 2 to 3 psi down from last month. Clearly due to the cold weather.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #434 on: November 01, 2019, 08:51:43 AM »
On tyres and temperature though I suppose the bulk of the tyre gets to much the same temp the tread is probably colder due to contact with the road. That could mean the compound there is stiffer and gives more rolling resistance. All speculation really.

Meanwhile my mpg is still up and down even when my journeys were much the same. I wonder if it could be duff coil packs. When I changed the rear plugs the gaps were pretty big. Also tickover isn't as even as it was. I've tried disconnecting the low voltage leads one by one but it wasn't conclusive. That's intermittent problems for you. I'll see if I get anything more clear cut today in the damp.

I haven't got the funds to just change parts on the off chance. I know second hand ones are only a tenner on eBay but they'll be pretty old. New at around thirty quid seems a better bet. Of course if anyone knows of cheaper new ones that'd be much appreciated.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Tags: